Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Delta to order 100+ Airbus A321neo Aircraft

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Delta to order 100+ Airbus A321neo Aircraft

Search this Thread

Old Dec 15, 2017, 6:45 am
pvn
Suspended

Programs: Starbucks Green Card
Originally Posted by shimps1
Curious,

Can someone explain why the 757 experience is so much better than the 737? Are they not both the same tube, along with the 727 and 707? How can the 75 be better than the 73 if that is the case?
They are not the same tube. They have the same width but the cross sections are different.
Old Dec 15, 2017, 7:54 am

Programs: Miles & More, Amex
Originally Posted by RaflW
They may go back to their used a/c strategy, too. I suspect that DL is well aware of the lifecycle of Asian LCC A320s, and could certainly consider some strategic used purchases there of 10 y.o. frames off lease. Heck, the Air Berlin collapse (and now Niki) could make some 320s available at decent rates quite soon. Absolute speculation on my part, of course. DL may have decided that upgauging is paramount. We'll see.
Almost all AB (and subsidiaries) planes are leased and the huge majority of them are already "taken" by either LH group or U2. Most of the rest will most likely go to whoever takes Niki. Almost no planes are left.
Old Dec 15, 2017, 8:30 am

Programs: Delta SkyMiles (Silver), AAdvantage, Sun Country, FmrUS Airways Dividend Miles, Northwest WorldPerks
Originally Posted by minnyfly
The 737 and 757 have the same floor height. The difference was that the 757's bins were set higher, but new interiors over the years have rendered that difference moot.

The 737 flies like the efficient, reliable, and capable airplane it is. It's a fantastic airplane, just like the A320.
The 757 still feels "taller" on the inside, though the Boeing Sky Interior took a bit of that feel away. Still, sitting in a seat, I can tell I'm on a 757.
Old Dec 15, 2017, 9:00 am

Originally Posted by pvn
They are not the same tube. They have the same width but the cross sections are different.
The 727, 737, and 757 use identical fuselage frames. The interior trim to trim widths are listed as slightly different. I think some of this may be due to the measurement point (wider at the windows, narrower between the windows where the fuselage frame is). Or it may be due to how the air conditioning ducting is done (the 737 and 757 use a few large ducts taking the place of a window, the 727 used two small ducts alongside each window--the 737/757 solution is much lighter). This large ducts may mark the narrowest part of the widest cross section.

Other factors could be insulation, but it seems over time thinner, lighter insulation would be the norm, resulting in wider cabins (like the 777X). So my guess is the narrower trim to trim difference between the 727 and 737/757 is the A/C ducting.

But for the typical non exit row seat with a window, there is no significant difference of interior cabin width.
Old Dec 15, 2017, 9:07 am

Originally Posted by JSprague24
The 757 still feels "taller" on the inside, though the Boeing Sky Interior took a bit of that feel away. Still, sitting in a seat, I can tell I'm on a 757.
This was definitely the "feel" of the original 757 overhead bin design, where there was a gap between the ceiling and the top of the bin. It was very different from the older 727 and 737 overhead bin design of the time. The intent was to make the ceiling feel wider, and make the airplane feel wider, but it made it feel higher as well.

Then they extended those bins which made the space above the aisle slightly narrower, which also may have had the side effect of making it feel higher.

Narrow-body airplane pivot bins create a challenge, because they return to the continuous trim like the early 1980s 727 bins.
Old Dec 15, 2017, 12:05 pm

Programs: DL PM, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by shimps1
Curious,

Can someone explain why the 757 experience is so much better than the 737? Are they not both the same tube, along with the 727 and 707? How can the 75 be better than the 73 if that is the case?
Great question. Was funny watching people squirm and make up stories about floor height (false), fuselage difference (false), takeoff roll (how does this possibly affect passenger comfort?)
Old Dec 15, 2017, 1:23 pm
pvn
Suspended

Can anyone produce documentation that they are actually the same?
Old Dec 15, 2017, 1:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
See slide 8 for detailed 757 interior dimensions, including prospective seating arrangements by cabin.

http://www.boeing.com/resources/boei..._passenger.pdf

737s have shared the same interior cabin width (3.53 meters) from -100s to -900ERs. I'll let others look for more detailed 737 specs if they feel the need.

Boeing 737 Detailed Technical Data
Old Dec 15, 2017, 1:56 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta SkySponge ExtraAbsorbent, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by pvn
Can anyone produce documentation that they are actually the same?
The 757 has a cabin width of 139.3 in and the 737 has a cabin width of 139.2 in.

http://www.boeing.com/assets/pdf/com...aps/757_23.pdf

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boeing_737

​​​​​​​
Old Dec 15, 2017, 1:59 pm
pvn
Suspended

Cabin width being the same isn't in dispute. That's a necessary but not sufficient condition of showing they're the same.
Old Dec 15, 2017, 8:23 pm

Programs: DL MM, Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by WWads
The door is too close to the engines. The risk of a jet-bridge strike is too high.

Perhaps an oversight on the designer's part.
Can't the door be moved forward? Also, I'm fairly surprised about the comment of a jet bridge strike. Seems like the 757s, which have similar passenger capacity to the A321s don't have that problem?
Old Dec 15, 2017, 9:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by pvn
Cabin width being the same isn't in dispute. That's a necessary but not sufficient condition of showing they're the same.
See PDF page 67 and describe what's meaningfully different from a 757 at cabin floor, passenger hip, or passenger shoulder height.

http://www.boeing.com/assets/pdf/com.../acaps/737.pdf

Are passengers on 739s complaining about the extra 1.9 inches of cabin height when they observe the config is tight?
Old Dec 15, 2017, 9:46 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by jimrpa
Can't the door be moved forward? Also, I'm fairly surprised about the comment of a jet bridge strike. Seems like the 757s, which have similar passenger capacity to the A321s don't have that problem?
The 2L door on the 757 is a full-size door. The 2L door on the 321 is not full size.
Old Dec 15, 2017, 9:46 pm
pvn
Suspended

"two things are different"

"OK, show me"

"here's a diagram of one of them, QED"

OK, I'm convinced
Old Dec 15, 2017, 9:51 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by pvn
"two things are different"

"OK, show me"

"here's a diagram of one of them, QED"

OK, I'm convinced
It seems you can't be convinced by anyone here so why don't you just call up Boeing and ask them? The 757 shares the aft portion of the fuselage with the 737 and forward fuselage with the 727. The only thing original is the nose.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.