Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Delta to order 100+ Airbus A321neo Aircraft

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Delta to order 100+ Airbus A321neo Aircraft

Search this Thread

Old Dec 14, 2017, 11:20 am

Programs: DL Plat
I found the wording about IFE to be interesting...

"On-demand inflight entertainment, high-speed satellite WiFi, power ports as well as streaming video content will be available at every seat through Delta Studio."

Does this mean no seatback screens? Or is that implied?
Old Dec 14, 2017, 11:40 am

Programs: CebGo 5J, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum, Alaska 100K
It also seems like Boeing stuck it to Delta with the Bombardier ruling on import duties for the new regional jets. Kwinkydink - I think not!
Old Dec 14, 2017, 11:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold AAdvantage Elite, Rapids Reward
Originally Posted by Longboater

I took a look at the A321neo image. Delta is losing door two. That’s the extra row.
That's correct. They will have extra row. I believe they will have more room for economy class.
Old Dec 14, 2017, 11:48 am

Programs: DL Diamond, Marriott LT Plat, HH Diamond, Avis Preferred Plus, National Executive
Originally Posted by N830MH
That's correct. They will have extra row. I believe they will have more room for economy class.
Are you saying you think they will increase the 30-31" Y pitch on the A321 Neo or just more room for the extra since the door is being moved.
Old Dec 14, 2017, 11:51 am
Suspended

Programs: Delta SkySponge ExtraAbsorbent, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by Dawgfan6291
You don't know what you are talking about. What happened nearly 50 years ago with the RB211 has absolutely nothing to do with the current Trents. Triple spools are not "unnecessarily complex". For a person educated on them they are quite simple to understand and have benefits over the twin spools of GE/PW. The Trent XWB is also nothing short of a technological marvel and might be the best motor on the market, period. The GE90, for example has stupid high cost, stupid high maintenance costs, and stupid high overhaul costs. On wing/TBO times are not that great either.

The PW1100G, when working correctly, is the best motor for the A321NEO. Most of the issues have been worked out it is just about finding shop time to fix the current on wing engines as well as Pratts supply chain trying to ramp up production faster than planned. The GTF is the way of the future. Rolls is already trying to move that way with the UltraFan and GE/CFM will move that way with the next narrow body engine. Like the 787, the first to the game generally has some teething issue.

Technik isn't "spun off". It is a subsidiary of Lufthansa Group. Like Delta and Air France/KLM, Lufthansa are smart enough to know that the revenue from the MRO work is a big deal. TechOps makes around $750M to $1B in revenue, in what world does it make sense to give that money away? Also a multi-million if not billion engine contract is not silly at all.
I think you misunderstood my point. Why would Delta need to order from P&W to get their MRO business? It seems underhanded to say "you have to buy our product in order to be awarded the service contract". Sounds like dirty politics. As an example, if your GM car breaks down the Ford or Toyota dealer will be happy to fix it for you even though they don't sell GM cars. I would think Tech Ops would want to service as many engines as possible regardless if Delta uses any of them themselves.

Oh and I found the quote from Bastian saying they still had a great relationship with Boeing to be amusing. They haven't ordered a new Boeing in almost a decade. And the 739 only won that order because Delta was on the hook for the 787 cancelation. Had that not happened there wouldn't be any 739 in the fleet.
Old Dec 14, 2017, 11:51 am

Programs: DL Diamond, Marriott LT Plat, HH Diamond, Avis Preferred Plus, National Executive
Originally Posted by Longboater

I took a look at the A321neo image. Delta is losing door two. That’s the extra row.
It's losing an exit door or it's being moved?
Old Dec 14, 2017, 12:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold AAdvantage Elite, Rapids Reward
Originally Posted by apodo77
It's losing an exit door or it's being moved?
Yes, they has been delete the door 2L/R.

Originally Posted by apodo77
Are you saying you think they will increase the 30-31" Y pitch on the A321 Neo or just more room for the extra since the door is being moved.
Yes, they will have an extra row for economy class. Right, the 2L/R door will deleted.
Old Dec 14, 2017, 1:24 pm

Originally Posted by live5
I found the wording about IFE to be interesting...

"On-demand inflight entertainment, high-speed satellite WiFi, power ports as well as streaming video content will be available at every seat through Delta Studio."

Does this mean no seatback screens? Or is that implied?
I think it means PTVs. Otherwise it would be redundant with streaming video.
Old Dec 14, 2017, 6:38 pm

Programs: DL PM, Marriott Gold
Yes the 2L/R doors just forward of the wing are deleted, they can't be used for boarding anyway. Either one pair or two of overwing exits are added, however. (Probably one pair given the density here. Two overwings per side would be for ULCC-type densities or on less dense aircraft, can allow the 3L/R doors to be deactivated). The behind-the-wing doors are moved back roughly two seat rows, or 4 frames to be exact.

With a total seat-count increase of 5, that should mean that both the pair at row 13 and the pair at 26 become more typical triples, and one additional set of three seats on one side of the aisle gets added, to get to the planned 197 pax.

The good news in this, if I'm extrapolating accurately, is that in addition to having 30 C+ seats, there will now be 12 extra-legroom exit row seats in Y (as opposed to 6 now). Six overwing + six at the doors just aft of the wings. All that rejiggering should, one hopes, allow the majority if not all Y seats to have a 31" pitch. DL management has said that their goal is to be at an average 31 pitch fleetwide for Y. Of course some seats and some a/c will be closer to 30" even within a 'fleetwide average' 31.

Will they keep a mid-cabin lav I guess is not known. I hope so, as it'd be a long walk from C+ to a lav cluster of 3 at the back, as is done on the 739s. I also suspect FAs dislike the 3 at the back, as it causes even more pax congregating by the rear galley.
Old Dec 14, 2017, 6:41 pm
pvn
Suspended

Programs: Starbucks Green Card
Originally Posted by RaflW
Will they keep a mid-cabin lav I guess is not known. I hope so, as it'd be a long walk from C+ to a lav cluster of 3 at the back, as is done on the 739s.
Just use the front lav if you're in C+ (or anywhere forward of the drink cart, for that matter).
Old Dec 14, 2017, 6:54 pm

Programs: WN, AA, UA, DL
Originally Posted by RaflW
All that rejiggering should, one hopes, allow the majority if not all Y seats to have a 31" pitch. DL management has said that their goal is to be at an average 31 pitch fleetwide for Y. Of course some seats and some a/c will be closer to 30" even within a 'fleetwide average' 31.
When have they said that? And how does it make sense when over half their mainline fleet has a base pitch of 30"? Looks to me that DL will only give as much pitch as the desired configuration will allow and no extra.
Old Dec 14, 2017, 6:59 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
After Boeing's C series fiasco, you don't need to be a fortune teller to have seen this coming. Add in Canada's decision to buy used older generation fighter jets rather than ever do business with Boeing again, and that tariff spat is going to cost them billions. Glad I sold my Boeing shares years ago....I can't imagine the short-sighted stupidity running the show there now.

As to the A321, let's see if Delta opts for wider, more comfortable seats, or just crams in more of what they already have.
Old Dec 14, 2017, 7:32 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL FO, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by bocastephen
After Boeing's C series fiasco, you don't need to be a fortune teller to have seen this coming. Add in Canada's decision to buy used older generation fighter jets rather than ever do business with Boeing again, and that tariff spat is going to cost them billions. Glad I sold my Boeing shares years ago....I can't imagine the short-sighted stupidity running the show there now.

As to the A321, let's see if Delta opts for wider, more comfortable seats, or just crams in more of what they already have.
The seats are as wide as the design allows. DL's choice of slimline seats is pretty humane compared to AA and UA.
Old Dec 14, 2017, 8:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by bocastephen
Are you confused about the seat dimensions Delta is using on 321s presently?
Old Dec 14, 2017, 8:21 pm

Programs: DL MM, Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, HHonors Gold
Sky Magazine page 11 "HELP US DEFEND U.S. JOBS."

Featuring a picture of a fine Airbus product. Nothing more to say.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.