Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

I'm in awe of my fellow passenger's dress

I'm in awe of my fellow passenger's dress

Old Dec 14, 2017, 11:55 am

Programs: Avis President's Club, Global Entry, Hilton/Marriott Gold. No more DL/AA status.
I see nothing wrong with her attire. It isn't like flying is luxurious anymore outside of D1. Airlines across the board keep cramming us into smaller and smaller pitch seats, with less and less padding. I feel like I'm just "that annoying cargo that expects a soda, unlike the well behaved mail in the hold". So good for her.

Oh, and slippers are great for TSA checkpoints.
AStarr likes this.
Old Dec 14, 2017, 11:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF Platinum, EK Gold, AA EXP, UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by Gig103
I see nothing wrong with her attire. It isn't like flying is luxurious anymore outside of D1.
D1? Luxurious? LOL. Good one.
ijgordon, BamaGirl, RealHJ and 2 others like this.
Old Dec 14, 2017, 12:15 pm
OTD

Programs: AAdvantage Gold, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Gold, Skymiles, Mileage Plus
Originally Posted by DLDiamond2013
Folks, do any of you live in Miami? I do and therefore MIA is my home airport and MIA-ATL one of my most frequent routes. This city is unlike anywhere else in the U.S. for myriad reasons. Scenes such as this - and far more bizarre - play out every day in all settings, not just at the airport. This thread and picture surprised me exactly...none...once I saw the OP post that MIA-ATL was the offending route. Come spend some time with me if you’d ever like to see all varieties of crazy!
This is true. The only thing inaccurate about Carl Hiaasen books is that they don't go far enough.
ijkh likes this.
Old Dec 14, 2017, 12:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by SFO777
D1? Luxurious? LOL. Good one.
Forgive them, they know not of first class.
Old Dec 14, 2017, 12:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA
Originally Posted by rufflesinc
Okay I have lots of questions then. The person I replied to only flew one domestic leg ATL-FLL, but the cruise was caribbean, mexico, or central or south america. So even though your ticket was purely domestic, DL will fly it intl?

What if I wasn't on a cruise but flew on a separate ticket ? Would DL deliver it to whereever I was? For example, if I flew DL on DTW-BOS connecting to CX BOS-HKG-asia. Would DL deliver to me in asia if they didn't get it to BOS ontime? Or is this just a service DL provides to cruise customers?
It's very possible DL would fly it onto Asia if it didn't get the luggage to you in time, but it would depend on the customs regulations for the countries involved. I know people on multi-city trips to Europe where the luggage kept following them to their next place but never caught up with them until they got home (kept arriving the day after they left a place). The airline was responsible for it all.

I wouldn't book separate tickets relying on them forwarding it to you though.
Old Dec 14, 2017, 12:50 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, Marriott LT Plat, HH Diamond, Avis Preferred Plus, National Executive
Originally Posted by Gig103
I see nothing wrong with her attire. It isn't like flying is luxurious anymore outside of D1.
Can't. Stop. Laughing.
BamaGirl likes this.
Old Dec 14, 2017, 1:40 pm

Programs: IHG Diamond, Delta PM, Hilton Gold, Accor Gold, Marriott Silver
Originally Posted by OTD
This is true. The only thing inaccurate about Carl Hiaasen books is that they don't go far enough.
He's said that a lot of his fiction is drawn from the real life stuff in South Florida that his editors won't let him run in his newspaper column.
Old Dec 14, 2017, 1:48 pm

Folks, do any of you live in Miami? I do and therefore MIA is my home airport and MIA-ATL one of my most frequent routes. This city is unlike anywhere else in the U.S. for myriad reasons. Scenes such as this - and far more bizarre - play out every day in all settings, not just at the airport. This thread and picture surprised me exactly...none...once I saw the OP post that MIA-ATL was the offending route. Come spend some time with me if you’d ever like to see all varieties of crazy!
Care to elaborate? I hadn't heard this about Miami and am curious to find out more. (not that I'm easily surprised or shocked, I live in San Francisco after all...)
Old Dec 14, 2017, 2:13 pm

Programs: Delta 1 Million Miler, Delta DM, Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz President's Circle
Originally Posted by sfvoyage
Care to elaborate? I hadn't heard this about Miami and am curious to find out more. (not that I'm easily surprised or shocked, I live in San Francisco after all...)
It’s more of a “do as I please and others be damned” mentality where rules, policies, regulations, and even laws (like driving laws, etc.) are interpreted as suggestions that are there to follow when it suits my needs but not necessarily anyone else’s. That mentality is what results in seeing people behave as described in this thread and the picture that resulted. Things that happen here just simply don’t in other U.S. cities - Boston, New York, DC, Atlanta, Chicago, St. Louis, Dallas, Denver, Seattle, San Francisco, Los Angeles, take your pick - I’ve been to them all multiple times and I’m originally from the Northeast for perspective. As for some specific examples:

1. Driving to work one morning I passed a man walking down the sidewalk in nothing but a hospital gown that said INMATE on it and one of those orange industrial type extension cords wrapped around his neck. I feel that would warrant attention in other places. Here, nobody paid him the time of day.

2. I routinely encounter (on some roads) folks who drive down the wrong side of the road to avoid sitting in congested rush hour traffic to get to their next intersection and complete a turn.

3. Another driving scenario that is a favorite of mine are the I-95 Express Lanes that were opened a few years ago. Rather than build brand new lanes, existing lanes of the interstate were barricaded off with plastic orange poles screwed into the highway surface so that switching lanes between the express section and regular section was to be prohibited once you drove past the entrance area to the express lanes. But plastic poles are no match for Miami drivers. They simply swerve into the express lanes section, driving over the poles, once they have driven past the overhead toll collection device in the regular section, so they now can drive in express for free by bypassing the toll device. To make it more fun, they are swerving into the express lanes from a dead stop in the regular lanes during rush hour in front of cars traveling 50-70mph in the express lanes not expecting a car going 0mph to suddenly be in front of them. Numerous wrecks have occurred due to this. It got so bad that the DOT had to replace all the original poles (spaced 10 feet apart) with more rigid poles now placed 5 feet apart. These poles will damage your vehicle if you drive over them. There are also now constant signs that say DO NOT DRIVE OVER PLASTIC POLES - MINIMUM FINE $179. I revel in this example because I drive the HOV lanes in Connecticut that have no barriers at all - just a white solid line painted down the highway and a sign that says do not cross into the HOV lane. And everyone obeys the sign! Same in California. I laugh and think about that in Miami and how poles don’t keep people out, let alone just a sign. A solid concrete wall divider is the only acceptable solution here.

I have plenty more examples but that’s a flavor. The highly transient, multicultural melting pot with the heavy Caribbean and Latin American influence overrides what I call “typical American behavior and norms” we’re used to elsewhere in the country because frankly, the people living here are simply not Americans.
sfvoyage and rufflesinc like this.

Last edited by DLDiamond2013; Dec 14, 2017 at 2:19 pm
Old Dec 15, 2017, 5:51 pm

Programs: UA, AA, DL, Starwood/Marriott, Hilton, IHG
Originally Posted by angra
If I was complaining, this would go in the petty complaints thread.

I'm flying MIA-ATL right now, and one of my fellow passengers is wearing a bathrobe, slippers, and a shower cap. Aside from my mild concern that she's dressed that way due to being sick, I love it.
Didn't realize they sold airline tickets at Wal-Mart.
Old Dec 15, 2017, 9:36 pm

Programs: IHG Diamond, Delta PM, Hilton Gold, Accor Gold, Marriott Silver
Originally Posted by spartacus
Common enough to Southwest (and American and Delta) gift cards in the rack at big box stores like that, and if someone has the Southwest app on their phone, they could indeed be buying their plane ticket before leaving the Walmart parking lot.
Old Dec 15, 2017, 11:35 pm
C W

Programs: DL PM, AS MVP 75K, HH/SPG/MR Gold, Amex Plat, PRG, CSR
I love it!

I’ve completely stopped caring about what people think about what I wear on planes and am happier and more comfortable wearing objectively weird stuff whenever I fly longhaul.
aquamarinesteph likes this.
Old Dec 16, 2017, 12:01 am

Programs: DL DM, 5.7 MM, UA 3.1 MM, MARRIOTT PLATINUM, AVIS FIRST, Amex Black Card
Originally Posted by spartacus
The sell gift cards for WN, DL, UA and AA. K Mart sometimes has them on a "blue light" special. Same with Bathrobes and curlers.
Old Dec 16, 2017, 12:32 am

Programs: Delta
...seeing people behave as described in this thread and the picture that resulted. Things that happen here just simply don’t in other U.S. cities - Boston, New York, DC, Atlanta, Chicago, St. Louis, Dallas, Denver, Seattle, San Francisco, Los Angeles, take your pick - I’ve been to them all multiple times and I’m originally from the Northeast for perspective. As for some specific examples:

1. Driving to work one morning I passed a man walking down the sidewalk in nothing but a hospital gown that said INMATE on it and one of those orange industrial type extension cords wrapped around his neck. I feel that would warrant attention in other places. Here, nobody paid him the time of day.
2. I routinely encounter (on some roads) folks who drive down the wrong side of the road to avoid sitting in congested rush hour traffic to get to their next intersection and complete a turn.
3. Another driving scenario that is a favorite of mine are the I-95 Express Lanes that were opened a few years ago. Rather than build brand new lanes, existing lanes of the interstate were barricaded off with plastic orange poles screwed into the highway surface so that switching lanes between the express section and regular section was to be prohibited once you drove past the entrance area to the express lanes. But plastic poles are no match for Miami drivers. They simply swerve into the express lanes section, driving over the poles, once they have driven past the overhead toll collection device in the regular section, so they now can drive in express for free by bypassing the toll device. To make it more fun, they are swerving into the express lanes from a dead stop in the regular lanes during rush hour in front of cars traveling 50-70mph in the express lanes not expecting a car going 0mph to suddenly be in front of them. Numerous wrecks have occurred due to this. It got so bad that the DOT had to replace all the original poles (spaced 10 feet apart) with more rigid poles now placed 5 feet apart. These poles will damage your vehicle if you drive over them. There are also now constant signs that say DO NOT DRIVE OVER PLASTIC POLES - MINIMUM FINE $179.
I have plenty more examples but that’s a flavor. The highly transient, multicultural melting pot with the heavy Caribbean and Latin American influence overrides what I call “typical American behavior and norms” we’re used to elsewhere in the country

With the exception of the toll roads and switching Caribbean to Mexico, this describes Las Vegas pretty well.

Does MIA have people walking around public places dressed entirely in Reynolds Wrap "so the government can't read [their] thoughts?" We do.
Old Dec 16, 2017, 2:24 am

I've worn a bright pink onesie on a VS JFK-LHR last year. Eventually word got around and the entire cabin crew, including an off-duty pilot, asked me about it as they were passing.

Several asked why do I have it and I reply why not?
AStarr likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.