Wiki Posts
Search

ATL Mercedes Bens Stadium

Search this Thread

Old Dec 13, 2017, 5:23 am
Original Poster

Programs: Delta, Hilton, Hertz
ATL Mercedes Bens Stadium

Obviously the answer is probably money. I am surprised that Delta didn't play on the sponsorship of the new stadium in Atlanta. While it is a very long term deal, you would have thought Delta being the most significant atlanta based brand would have had interest in the sponsorship. Not to mention having the widget on the roof of the new stadium visible to all who fly above it and watch sports on tv. Just curious.
Old Dec 13, 2017, 6:24 am

I think there are some other brands stationed here would would not agree with your statement that Delta is the most significant Atlanta based brand. (Coke comes to mind for example)
Old Dec 13, 2017, 8:01 am

Programs: Delta DM/3 MM; Hertz PC; National EE; Amtrak GR; Bonvoy Silver; Via Rail Préférence
Delta dropped their sponsorship of the Falcons back in 2009.

https://blogs.wsj.com/middleseat/200...to-yanks-mets/

Air Tran (pre-merger with WN) was the "official airline" of the Falcons; but then it turned out that the Falcons used Delta charters on road trips.

Atlanta Falcons Do Not Fly on AirTran, Their Official Airline - AirlineReporter.com

Delta has major advertising links with the Braves and the Hawks; I'm guessing that since these two franchises, when put together, play multiple times per week year round, spending money with the Falcons constituted diminishing returns.

I'm curious whether Delta will ever obtain the naming rights to another stadium or arena, after they had to drop their sponsorship of the Utah Jazz arena (the former "Delta Center") when they filed for Chapter 11 bankruptcy a decade ago. They probably passed on or got outbid for the naming rights to the new Braves stadium, SunTrust Park.

Outside of markets such as Atlanta and New York, Delta got involved as "official airline" of a number of university athletic departments, including Notre Dame. They also are the airline sponsor of the Washington Nationals, even though three other airlines have hubs in the DC area (IAD-United; DCA-American; BWI-Southwest).
Old Dec 13, 2017, 8:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond
They are a sponsor just not overall naming rights...

Just Google "Delta Atlanta Falcons" and this is the first link that comes up...

Delta teams up with Atlanta Falcons, Atlanta United and Mercedes-Benz Stadium | Delta News Hub

Continuing to deepen its ties to Atlanta, Delta will serve as the Official Airline of the Atlanta Falcons, Atlanta United and Mercedes-Benz Stadium, the new home of the Falcons and Atlanta United, for the next five years through the 2021 season...

....As a part of the agreement with Mercedes-Benz Stadium, the South Champions Club in the new stadium has been named the Delta Sky360˚ Club. The 25,000-square foot club is located on the field level and will allow club patrons constant access to the field throughout the game. The club is on the away sideline for Falcons games and the home sideline for all Atlanta United matches...

...In addition, significant elements of the partnerships include in-stadium LED advertising and IPTV exposure, as well as unique digital and social content opportunities.
Old Dec 13, 2017, 8:26 am

Programs: Skymiles GM
Delta has a Delta Sky360 club at MB stadium.
Old Dec 13, 2017, 8:58 am
Suspended

Programs: DL DM, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Platinum, etc etc etc
Originally Posted by micstatic
Obviously the answer is probably money. I am surprised that Delta didn't play on the sponsorship of the new stadium in Atlanta. While it is a very long term deal, you would have thought Delta being the most significant atlanta based brand would have had interest in the sponsorship. Not to mention having the widget on the roof of the new stadium visible to all who fly above it and watch sports on tv. Just curious.
i would say Home Depot, UPS, or Coca Cola are way more significant than Delta in terms of the Atlanta based brand.
Old Dec 13, 2017, 8:59 am

Programs: Skymiles GM
Originally Posted by vincentharris

i would say Home Depot, UPS, or Coca Cola are way more significant than Delta in terms of the Atlanta based brand.
Coke, yes. UPS, maybe. Definitely more global presence, but they have a different model. Home Depot, would disagree.
Old Dec 13, 2017, 9:18 am

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott Plat Prem, UA Silver, Delta GM
Originally Posted by jamiestr
Coke, yes. UPS, maybe. Definitely more global presence, but they have a different model. Home Depot, would disagree.
But since Arthur Blank (founder of Home Depot) owns the team, they might rank a smidge higher in importance
Old Dec 13, 2017, 9:23 am

I splurged on tickets and had Club seats on the visitor side for a game. The Delta Sky360 club makes for a great game day experience.

My kids watching the game from the Delta Sky 360 club

Club level gets you field level access to watch the game.
MountainGuy likes this.
Old Dec 13, 2017, 9:26 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
It's Mercedes-Benz.
Old Dec 13, 2017, 9:40 am

Programs: Hilton Gold
Yep, and they also have the same club at SunTrust Park (home of the Braves).
Old Dec 13, 2017, 10:02 am

Programs: DL DM 2MM - IHG Diamond
And I would disagree with this. While I am totally unaffiliated with Home Depot, it is the 9th largest retailer in the world (https://www.thebalance.com/largest-us-retailers-4045123) and with nearly 400,000 employees, it has roughly five times the number of employees as Delta.
Old Dec 13, 2017, 11:12 am

Programs: AA, DL, Avis, Enterprise, National, IHG, HH, SPG/MR
Originally Posted by micstatic
Probably because Atlanta sports teams are trash.

Mercedes Benz is German... they probably don't know what sports are, probably not efficient enough for them.
Old Dec 13, 2017, 11:43 am

Programs: Newly minted free agent; MR LT(!)TE, HH SE, BA SECM, DL MM, UA PS, 2V Fanboi, CBP GE
Originally Posted by ecaarch
And I would disagree with this. While I am totally unaffiliated with Home Depot, it is the 9th largest retailer in the world (https://www.thebalance.com/largest-us-retailers-4045123) and with nearly 400,000 employees, it has roughly five times the number of employees as Delta.
How many of the Home Depot stores are outside of North America? (Answer: None.) Number of employees has nothing (well, almost nothing) to do with brand recognition, which is the primary reason to sponsor a stadium.

But I guess we could split hairs and distinguish "most significant Atlanta brand" for domestic vs international.
Old Dec 13, 2017, 11:49 am
Original Poster

Programs: Delta, Hilton, Hertz
thanks guys. I agree. Coke and Home Depot more significant. While UPS is very significant, sometimes they barely seem atlanta. yes their HQ are here. But their hubs are not.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.