Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Delta to start SJC - JFK

Search this Thread

Old Dec 12, 2017, 7:26 pm

Programs: DL PM, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by SJC ORD LDR
At that time of night, it's not like you have to worry about traffic on 101 or 280. So, that's true.

However, with a redeye out to JFK and an early morning to SJC, I don't see the point. There will be so few connection opportunities since it will miss the flights to Europe in both directions
You're not supposed to connect . This flight is for NYC bound passengers. If you want to connect to Europe or Asia, you're supposed to go SJC-SEA/LAX/ATL/SLC instead.
Old Dec 12, 2017, 7:38 pm

Love the route - hate the timing.

Red eye to JFK one thing but a 8:15am return?

Why not an evening return that allows for a turn for the red eye?
Old Dec 12, 2017, 7:57 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL PM MM, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by kjnangre
You're not supposed to connect . This flight is for NYC bound passengers. If you want to connect to Europe or Asia, you're supposed to go SJC-SEA/LAX/ATL/SLC instead.
As much as I hate NY's airports, there are places in Europe that DL only serves through JFK.
Old Dec 12, 2017, 10:56 pm

Originally Posted by SJC ORD LDR
As much as I hate NY's airports, there are places in Europe that DL only serves through JFK.
Well I understand. But if you think DL created this route to allow a 1-stop itinerary between a secondary California market and a few secondary markets in Europe then you must be smoking something really special. Maybe a few people will do that connection, but I promise you that's not why this route was created. This is to serve NY O/D passengers.
Old Dec 13, 2017, 12:01 am

I seriously doubt that DL has any interest in competing on SJC-SAN.

SJC-LAS was a special case because 1) LAS is a focus city for DL and 2) at the time, SJC-LAS was one of the busiest single-carrier routes in the entire country.

I think there's a minor chance we could see SJC-PDX (since PDX is also a focus city) and I'd like to believe that SJC-DTW will come back one of these days. I don't anticipate any other routes beyond that.
As far as destinations left to see from SJC, DTW is 99% chance that is it. SJC-PDX isn't happening and adds nothing to the overall Delta network.

Me too. SJC-ATL is now 3 times per day and apparently doing quite well. If SJC-JFK succeeds then hopefully DTW becomes the obvious next step
Hopefully DTW-SJC comes back and ATL-OAK can start to at least maintain 1x daily year round.

Yes, I like OAK, at times it is better than SFO.
Call it what you want. It's the only non-hub that gets both TPAC and TATL service from DL. In the summer it also gets LHR and HNL.
because the TPAC/TATL flights are to Delta hubs. NRT, AMS and LHR are all hubs for DL.
Only non-hub route is HNL, which DL also has SFO-HNL at points in the year.
Old Dec 13, 2017, 12:03 am

Programs: DL PM, Bonvoy Gold
A redeye on a 737? No thanks.
Well I understand. But if you think DL created this route to allow a 1-stop itinerary between a secondary California market and a few secondary markets in Europe then you must be smoking something really special. Maybe a few people will do that connection, but I promise you that's not why this route was created. This is to serve NY O/D passengers.
DL specifically mentions connections in their press release.

Delta launching new daily service between San Jose and New York-JFK Delta News Hub
Originally Posted by readywhenyouare

PDX is a DL focus city? Since when? They couldn't even maintain a year round DTW flight.
this is a holdover from NWA, so it's actually been a focus city for decades.

Last edited by Canarsie; Dec 13, 2017 at 9:43 pm Reason: Consolidation.
Old Dec 13, 2017, 12:15 am
Suspended

Programs: Delta SkySponge ExtraAbsorbent, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by jdrtravel

this is a holdover from NWA, so it's actually been a focus city for decades.
I guess when I think of focus cities I think of something like RDU or MCO. They have service to cities that are not DL hubs or partner hubs.
Old Dec 13, 2017, 12:27 am

Originally Posted by readywhenyouare
I guess when I think of focus cities I think of something like RDU or MCO. They have service to cities that are not DL hubs or partner hubs.
I don't think DL officially lists focus cities, so there isn't a right or wrong answer. I actually thought PDX had more service than it really does. I agree, it's pretty weak for a focus city. Still, it's the only non-hub in the entire world with DL service across both major oceans. So, if nothing else, it's unique in the network.

DL specifically mentions connections in their press release.

Delta launching new daily service between San Jose and New York-JFK Delta News Hub
Fair enough. Sounds like boilerplate text tho. The international connections are hardly "convenient" with the provided schedule

Last edited by Canarsie; Dec 13, 2017 at 9:45 pm Reason: Consolidation.
Old Dec 13, 2017, 9:30 am

I think there's a minor chance we could see SJC-PDX (since PDX is also a focus city) and I'd like to believe that SJC-DTW will come back one of these days. I don't anticipate any other routes beyond that.
PDX-SJC has seen big increases from WN and AS in recent years; I doubt anyone else will touch that one.
Old Dec 13, 2017, 9:45 am

Fair enough. Sounds like boilerplate text tho. The international connections are hardly "convenient" with the provided schedule
Very true.
Old Dec 13, 2017, 9:52 am

Programs: DL Diamond, Marriott LT Plat, HH Diamond, Avis Preferred Plus, National Executive
Originally Posted by jj243
I'll take it as a win even if it's a redeye on a 737. Still might prefer the drive up to SFO with lounge access with better schedules and planes. Would be interesting to see if Delta continues to add flights at SJC. I know there's heavy competition from Southwest and Alaska but some intra-CA nonstops would be nice too- my colleagues always give me the eye roll when I connect in LAX on the way to SAN.
Wish SFO-ATL would get better planes. Bulk of the schedule is currently 739's.
Old Dec 13, 2017, 9:55 am

Originally Posted by apodo77
Wish SFO-ATL would get better planes. Bulk of the schedule is currently 739's.

I know. Is the A330 still on a daily rotation?
Old Dec 13, 2017, 10:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Zorak
Which is a bit of surprise to me, as an armchair route planner I would have expected lots of Silicon Valley $$ making this as viable as any of the other new domestic D1 flights they announced recently. But I cheerfully admit to having no clue or experience how to run a profitable airline, so, shrug
Agreed though the fact that B6 isn't running a MINT plane here for their JFK - SJC flight provides some further support that for whatever reason SJC isn't viable for D1/Mint services despite seeming to be a good fit (though I agree with you, don't understand how JFK - LAS or JFK - SAN for B6 are stronger MINT plays than JFK - SJC)
Old Dec 13, 2017, 10:26 am

Originally Posted by Duke787
Agreed though the fact that B6 isn't running a MINT plane here for their JFK - SJC flight provides some further support that for whatever reason SJC isn't viable for D1/Mint services despite seeming to be a good fit (though I agree with you, don't understand how JFK - LAS or JFK - SAN for B6 are stronger MINT plays than JFK - SJC)
DL might be waiting to see how early ticket sales look. Entirely possible the route could be upgraded to D1 before the first flight
Old Dec 13, 2017, 10:30 am

Programs: DL Diamond, Marriott LT Plat, HH Diamond, Avis Preferred Plus, National Executive
I know. Is the A330 still on a daily rotation?
Not that I saw and was flying on a Tuesday (ATL-SFO) and a Friday (SFO-ATL). This Friday it is 3 757's and 4 739's.

Off topic but this made me think of it. Due to the snow I actually flew home SFO-LAX-ATL-PBI and the LAX-ATL segment was on a 767-400. Talk about an ancient interior that is desperately in need of a refresh (was in F).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.