New Silver, Upgrade Questions

Old Dec 12, 2017, 1:47 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL Plat, Hilton Diamond
New Silver, Upgrade Questions

Hi,
I just qualified for Silver last month for the first time. I have an upcoming flight to PVR on 12/31. From the seatmap, C+ and F are completely empty, and the regular preferred seating is nearly empty as well..
What are the rules for upgrades? My reservation says - NOT COMPLIMENTARY UPGRADE ELIGIBLE.
It's a main cabin (X) and (L) fare flight, and I have 3 companions on the same reservation. I was able to select preferred seating for us. Why does it say not complimentary upgrade eligible? Is it because PVR is Mexico instead of US? Will I be able to get C+ or F at the appropriate window assuming availability exists?

Ben
Old Dec 12, 2017, 1:50 pm

Originally Posted by BreezwayFlyer
Hi,
I just qualified for Silver last month for the first time. I have an upcoming flight to PVR on 12/31. From the seatmap, C+ and F are completely empty, and the regular preferred seating is nearly empty as well..
What are the rules for upgrades? My reservation says - NOT COMPLIMENTARY UPGRADE ELIGIBLE.
It's a main cabin (X) and (L) fare flight, and I have 3 companions on the same reservation. I was able to select preferred seating for us. Why does it say not complimentary upgrade eligible? Is it because PVR is Mexico instead of US? Will I be able to get C+ or F at the appropriate window assuming availability exists?

Ben
Its a known glitch where a lot of intl “business class” listed flights (or domestic segments continuing an intl flight number) show Not Eligble, but you are fully eligible for the upgrade on those segments.

It’s fast becoming nearly impossible to get F upgrades on mainline as Silver (for me at least) so enjoy them when you can!
sdadept and jjmiller69 like this.
Old Dec 12, 2017, 2:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Hi,

Ben
You can only upgrade one companion. If you have more than one companion on your reservation, the system will not process any upgrades which is why it is saying it is not complimentary upgrade eligible. You will need to split the reservation in two if you want to be eligible to upgrade with one companion. However, if you split the reservation, the other companions may lose their preferred seats. The above issue with the system showing routes with J/C/D/I/Z fare classes as being ineligible only occurs when searching for flights and does not relate to your issue which is due to having more than one companion on your reservation.
Old Dec 12, 2017, 2:02 pm

Programs: Delta DM MM, HH Diamond, Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador Elite, TSA Pre-Check
Originally Posted by jk88usa

Its a known glitch where a lot of intl “business class” listed flights (or domestic segments continuing an intl flight number) show Not Eligble, but you are fully eligible for the upgrade on those segments.

It’s fast becoming nearly impossible to get F upgrades on mainline as Silver (for me at least) so enjoy them when you can!
You are actually not eligible for upgrades if you are on a PNR with 3 other individuals. Only you and one traveling companion in the same reservation are eligible. You could split the PNR which might help but honestly as an FO your odds of an upgrade are extremely unlikely.
Old Dec 12, 2017, 2:24 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by CVFDCHIEF180
You are actually not eligible for upgrades if you are on a PNR with 3 other individuals. Only you and one traveling companion in the same reservation are eligible. You could split the PNR which might help but honestly as an FO your odds of an upgrade are extremely unlikely.
I suspect that the upgrade odds depend greatly on the time of day for the PVR flight, presumably from LAX???

OP could keep all four on the same PNR for now, but split it later if it looks like there's a decent chance for one or two upgrades. Or the OP could decide to split it now, when there still might be some decent nonpreferred seats available for the other two or three people.The latter strategy should get an earlier upgrade request time, which is the ultimate tiebreaker.
Old Dec 12, 2017, 2:41 pm

Programs: DL Platinum, "alum" of high status with UA but not any more

Speaking as a Silver, it is not as impossible as I might have thought. I'm 5 for 16 on upgrades to F on domestic mainline flights in 2017, but granted I stack the deck in my favor by often flying on Saturday afternoons or evenings when all those Diamond-level management consultant types are home enjoying their half-day off for the week. And on another couple of flights, I've "missed" by only one or two spots (and on one of those occasions, I had a row of 3 seats all to myself, and it was on a red eye, so it was actually a blessing).
Old Dec 12, 2017, 2:57 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL Plat, Hilton Diamond
With 3 companions, if I can't upgrade to F, will I be able upgrade to C+? Or are none of the upgrades processed with 3 companions?

Yes, It's the 10:35am LAX to PVR on 12/31. It appears very lightly booked.
Seatmap shows 26 available regular E seats, Our seats are the only occupied preferred seats, Only 4 C+ seats are occupied, and Only 2 F seats are occupied.

The return trip is a different story, and is almost completely full. I don't hope for any upgrades coming home.
Old Dec 12, 2017, 3:04 pm

With 3 companions, if I can't upgrade to F, will I be able upgrade to C+? Or are none of the upgrades processed with 3 companions?

Seatmap shows 26 available regular E seats, Our seats are the only occupied preferred seats, Only 4 C+ seats are occupied, and Only 2 F seats are occupied.

The return trip is a different story, and is almost completely full. I don't hope for any upgrades coming home.
Sorry didn’t see the 3 companions part. No upgrades are eligible with more than 1. Though, if the cabins stay near empty, you could find some decent buy up options (assuming they let you do this with companions, I’ve never tried it)
Old Dec 12, 2017, 4:17 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL DM, Marriott Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond

10B and 10C are blocked - so only 2 C+ seats occupied. I'd bet that you + 1 companion get the upgrade if you split the reservation. And if there are empty F seats after all upgrades are processed, you may be able to ask at the gate in LAX and have the other companions moved to C+ or even F (had a similar situation PUJ-DTW last year).
Old Dec 12, 2017, 7:32 pm

As a FO, you are entitled to carry.....oh, wait. Never mind.
Old Dec 13, 2017, 12:37 am

Location: formerly Gold now Diamond, formerly MSY, now LAX, formerly NW, now DL
Programs: Hyatt Plat, Hilton Gold, SPG Gold, Delta Diamond/1MM
If I were you, don't ever expect an upgrade domestically, so when it doesn't happen (I'm often still in economy as diamond). So the rare time it happens for a SM, you'll be thrilled. Expected, you'll be disappointed lots.

Internationally, no one gets upgraded without paying for it, certificates that only DM gets, or if they severely run out of economy seats and have business seats open, which is not very common anymore either.
Old Dec 13, 2017, 8:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Formaldehyde Medallion DL DieMiles
New Silver, Upgrade Questions...

Unfortunately, the only upgrade question for a Silver is "What is an upgrade?"

Longest upgrade list you've experienced?
Old Dec 13, 2017, 9:05 am
Suspended

Programs: DL DM, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Platinum, etc etc etc
Well as a PM who on the last 4 legs this past 2 weeks ended up on the list as the following don’t expect the upgrade to happen.

number 1 of 29 with 3 F seats (ended up being #1 on the upgrade list too and got it at the end. Trust me I was surprised not one DM was on my weekday afternoon business heavy (normally) flight

23 out of 78 for 0 F seats

11 out of 49 for 0 F seats

19 out of 47 with 0 F seats

FO upgrades exist though I got it on LGA-ATL earlier this year when I was still an FO at the 24 hour window. Fun fact it was such a medallion light flight the GA and FA spent 10-15 minutes trying to figure out who would get the last empty F seat. (Went to a women who split the PNR from her husband so she could get F)

Last edited by vincentharris; Dec 13, 2017 at 3:52 pm
Old Dec 13, 2017, 3:24 pm

Location: RDU, Delta GM/1MM, Hilton Diamond (for now), Bonvoy Titanium
I'm a whopping 0/33 as an FO this year. I don't think Gold is much better so not doing a MR for the 4500 MQMs I need to make Gold - Id rather carry over to next year in case it's a light travel year.

FO is only worth more seats to pick from and a free checked bag. (well 2 if you have the DL amex)

And I've tried flying early morning every day of the weekdays, sunday morning, sunday late night, late nights on the weekdays etc. The only upgrade I've gotten is if I bought it.
Old Dec 13, 2017, 9:10 pm

Programs: Diamond Medallion, Delta Million Miler, Hyatt Globalist

It's hard to get an upgrade as a diamond these days.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.