Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Nested tickets

Search this Thread

Old Dec 14, 2017, 4:52 am
Suspended

Programs: DL DM, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Platinum, etc etc etc
I have done it before (domestically) (one trip was personal than i flew and when i connected the other trip/ticket was work) and I am doing it in 2018 for international trips

i.e. bought JFK-Europe and then separately bought my domestic to get up to JFK. No different than you buying a flight to JFK on AA and then to Europe on DL,

One good thing about DL is they will check your bag through for you even with two separate tickets (the other domestic airlines wont)
Old Dec 17, 2017, 8:21 am

Programs: DL PM
So would this be legal. I am going to JNB

Award tix to XXX-WAS night before

WAS-JNB-ORD

Award tix from ORD to XXX (same day as arrival)
Old Dec 17, 2017, 8:25 am
pvn
Suspended

Programs: Starbucks Green Card
Three separate tickets? 100% legal.
Old Dec 17, 2017, 11:03 am

Programs: Delta 1 Million Miler, Delta DM, Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz President's Circle
Originally Posted by SEA-Flyer
As others have mentioned, not a problem as long as you don’t violate fare rules. I nest tickets all the time - once even nested them 4 tickets deep.
Reading this, I’m picturing those nested Russian dolls but instead of dolls you keep pulling out boarding passes from another boarding pass.
Old Dec 17, 2017, 11:39 am

Programs: Delta PlM, 1M
Originally Posted by DLX5

WAS-JNB-ORD

Yes.

Basically "positioning flights" (what you are doing, sep. tickets to get to the airports that have good fares) are perfectly legal. Also, side trips (if you were to buy a ticket JNB<>XXX while in JNB) are fine.

What the nested rules are designed for is the commuter flying XXX-YYY RT M-F for several weeks. The M-F is more expensive, so instead the pax figures he can interleave tickets over a few weeks and thus always get the cheap Saturday stay fares. And this the airlines do not like.
Old Dec 17, 2017, 11:39 am

Programs: SPG, DL
Originally Posted by the fonz
No sure if the domestic ticket would have Saturday stay requirement, but if it did, the ticket would be fine and would all be flown. But, I am not actually staying in NYC on Saturday....and they would know that since I would be in DUB
It doesn't matter if there is a Saturday stay requirement or not, this doesn't violate the rule. The Saturday stay requirement, if it exists, means you can't return home before Saturday. It doesn't mean you have to stay in any particular city.

An example, I book ATL-JFK rt up Thursday and back Tuesday. Then I book a JFK-ATL rt for Friday and Monday. In that scenario, I am violating a Saturday stay requirement because my intention is really 2 day trips to NYC from ATL (up thurs, back fri, then up mon, back tue).

Your scenario does NOT violate any Saturday stay requirement because your "nested" ticket doesn't return you home in the interim, it sends you to DUB.
Old Dec 17, 2017, 11:44 am

Programs: SPG, DL
Originally Posted by the fonz
Thanks all......I can read Rule 100 a couple of different ways

A If used for travel to a destination other than that specified on the ticket.
This is intended to combat throwaway segments. I.E. you book CLE-ATL-XXX instead of CLE-ATL because CLE-XXX is cheaper than CLE-ATL and then you just get off at ATL and don't fly to XXX.

Again, your scenario doesn't violate this rule and is perfectly legal.
Old Dec 17, 2017, 11:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Nashville -Past DL Plat, FO, WN-CP, various hotel programs
Programs: DL-MM, AA, SW w/companion,HiltonDiamond, Hyatt PLat, IHF Plat, Miles and Points Seeker
Originally Posted by exwannabe
Yes.

Basically "positioning flights" (what you are doing, sep. tickets to get to the airports that have good fares) are perfectly legal. Also, side trips (if you were to buy a ticket JNB<>XXX while in JNB) are fine.

What the nested rules are designed for is the commuter flying XXX-YYY RT M-F for several weeks. The M-F is more expensive, so instead the pax figures he can interleave tickets over a few weeks and thus always get the cheap Saturday stay fares. And this the airlines do not like.
Yea, they do not like it. But they really can not stop it. the rules apply to the pricing of the ticket, not about what you do with your life. (that is what you got married for - LOL)
Old Dec 17, 2017, 12:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
are there really that many fares that still have an explicit Saturday night stay rule (i.e., “Return travel not permitted earlier than the first Sunday following departure from point of origin” or similar language)?
Old Dec 17, 2017, 1:09 pm

Programs: Delta PlM, 1M
Originally Posted by jrl767
are there really that many fares that still have an explicit Saturday night stay rule (i.e., “Return travel not permitted earlier than the first Sunday following departure from point of origin” or similar language)?
Just did some quick searching on what could be a poster boy for this type pricing, ATL <> LGA

Most certainly quite a substantial number of such fares.
Old Dec 17, 2017, 3:35 pm

Programs: DL SM, AAdvantage, SPG
In my experiences, TATL flights to business-oriented destinations (such as JFK-DUB/MAD/ZRH etc) also seem to have these:

TRAVEL FROM LAST STOPOVER MUST COMMENCE NO EARLIER THAN THE FIRST SUN AFTER ARRIVAL AT TURNAROUND.

Or

TRAVEL FROM INBOUND TRANSATLANTIC SECTOR MUST COMMENCE NO EARLIER THAN THE FIRST SUN AFTER DEPARTURE OF THE OUTBOUND TRANSATLANTIC SECTOR

So far, nobody's nested tickets seem to be violating a minimum stay requirement, so they should be good.
Old Dec 17, 2017, 6:10 pm

Programs: Delta DM/3 MM; Hertz PC; National EE; Amtrak GR; Bonvoy Silver; Via Rail Préférence
When I did this, I didn't know it violated DL's rules. However, they were offering a DCA-JFK-MXP and return ticket for $1.4k; at the same time, a DCA-JFK RT was $142.00, and a JFK-MXP RT was $508.00. So I booked the cheaper option and saved about $800 per person.

Most recently, I bought a DCA-SEA RT. Just to do it, I took the public bus outside the DL baggage claim at SEA to Tacoma, walked 1/4 mile to the Amtrak station there, took the Cascades to Portland and connected onto the Empire Builder running along the north side of the Columbia River and on to Spokane, and then bought a one way DL ticket GEG-SEA-YVR, and then took the Amtrak "Thruway Bus" back to King Street Station (this was actually like a chauffeured sedan, as only 9 pax were on board; the only stop was at CBP in Blaine, WA, where we visited with the staff there and had our baggage x-rayed); then walked over to the light rail station for the 30 minute ride south to SEA.
Old Dec 17, 2017, 6:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Nashville -Past DL Plat, FO, WN-CP, various hotel programs
Programs: DL-MM, AA, SW w/companion,HiltonDiamond, Hyatt PLat, IHF Plat, Miles and Points Seeker

Yes, they do.

But, they are talking about the TICKET and FARE - not what the person does. The PERSON can fly back and forth daily if they want. The RT ticket and the corresponding RETURN PORTION has rules.
Old Dec 18, 2017, 11:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM, NR; HH Diamond, Bonvoy LT Gold, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Diamond, others
Originally Posted by CarmenOM
There is a third option to check out,

CLE-JFK (one-way ticket)
JFK-DUB-CLE (with likely routing through JFK)
I would do it the other way around: CLE-DUB-JFK (likely routing through JFK on the outbound)
JFK-CLE (one-way)

That way, if there's IRROPS on the outbound, you're protected. On the return, it's less of an issue (relatively easy to get from NYC to CLE).
Old Jan 5, 2018, 4:19 pm

Programs: DL PM
Originally Posted by DLX5

WAS-JNB-ORD

So it's legal flight and I purchased the JNB part and the ORD to XXX. Plan to fly to WAS night before and trying to decide which flight to choose. Last flight makes sense but leaves no room for error. If there is an IRROPs situation, would DL get me to JNB another way if I couldn't make the XXX to WAS segment the night before. Other option is to choose earlier flight to WAS but by the time trip comes, it seems like most flights are full anyway.

GM on DL and Biz class to JNB if makes any difference

Last edited by DLX5; Jan 5, 2018 at 4:34 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.