Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Need Medallion Qualification Dollars or MQDs: MQD Requirement for Medallion Status

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Need Medallion Qualification Dollars or MQDs: MQD Requirement for Medallion Status

Search this Thread

Old Dec 11, 2017, 4:40 pm

Programs: DL PM, Bonvoy Gold
If for some reason the transcon is cheap, you could fly to SFO and use both the Sky Club and the Amex Centurion lounge. I also think that AMS is a great airport if you happen to find a cheap flight. However, if I were you and in NYC I'd go someplace warm for the weekend, like Miami, and stay a couple nights.
Old Dec 11, 2017, 4:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Plat, Nat'l Exec Elite, Avis Presidents Club
Originally Posted by puddinhead
LAS, if you stay for less than 30 hours you don't need a hotel room. Besides as Frank Sinatra said "There will be plenty of time to sleep when you're dead."
Originally Posted by The Situation
+1. Slot machines in the airport. LAS is my backup plan for DL to send me to if my mileage run gets CX. The flights have not had a good run the past week.

CVG and PIT used to have some interesting shops - been a long time since I have had any measurable amount of time at those airports.
Drinks in the Centurion Lounge followed by slot machines at the airport is a quick and easy way to make a $300 MQD run cost $600
Scott H and b00mer89 like this.

Last edited by javabytes; Dec 11, 2017 at 7:36 pm
Old Dec 11, 2017, 5:05 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by CarmenOM
I do’t know that I’d call it fun, but MSP is connected by light rail to the Mall of America. You could spend a few hours on holiday shopping. MOA also has an indoor amusement park with the longest indoor zip line in North America as well as a ropes course.
MSP also has a PGA lounge that accepts PP if you think golf is fun.

If you go outside of security at MSP, there are old models of the airport on the mezzanine level between the skyways that go to parking, roughly above the DL special services counters.. It's fun to see how the airport must have looked around 1950 or 1960.

DL doesn't have much service there, but STL has an iconic terminal building that appeared in Up in the Air, although it's a bit sad to see what was once a thriving TWA hub.

I like riding the red train at DTW and walking the psychedelic tunnel. If you level security, the Westin in the terminal has a decent restaurant and bar in an atrium surrounded by a bamboo forest. If you're really not leaving the airport, DTW would be my favorite.
Old Dec 11, 2017, 5:12 pm

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by vincentharris
PIT, it is literally a mall in the terminal that has planes show up every so often
IIRC PIT has some (fake) dinosaur bones but the big ones I remember are when you go up the escalators after check in, which would mean landside. The display is sponsored by the Carnegie Institute (museum). There's a post office in the shopping mall that IMO is a good place to buy stamps; they seem to have lots of pretty ones and are patient about showing you what they have if you ask.
Old Dec 11, 2017, 6:27 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL DM, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Platinum, etc etc etc
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
IIRC PIT has some (fake) dinosaur bones but the big ones I remember are when you go up the escalators after check in, which would mean landside. The display is sponsored by the Carnegie Institute (museum). There's a post office in the shopping mall that IMO is a good place to buy stamps; they seem to have lots of pretty ones and are patient about showing you what they have if you ask.
always funny to me is an actual drug store (Rite Aid) being on the airside terminal. Just seems wild that a full drug store is in the terminal.
dmarge18 likes this.
Old Dec 11, 2017, 6:28 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL DM, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Platinum, etc etc etc
Originally Posted by puddinhead
LAS, if you stay for less than 30 hours you don't need a hotel room. Besides as Frank Sinatra said "There will be plenty of time to sleep when you're dead."
yes as an avid LAS traveler I second this!!
Old Dec 11, 2017, 6:32 pm

Originally Posted by vincentharris

always funny to me is an actual drug store (Rite Aid) being on the airside terminal. Just seems wild that a full drug store is in the terminal.
To me, the odd store at PIT is/was Speedo. Do people really want to stop to try on swimsuits when they're traveling? OTOH,m it could be handy if someone forgot to pack a swimsuit, realized it at the airport, and planned to swim laps rather than lounge on the beach at a resort.

I think I've seen drugstores in other airports, but I can't picture a specific one right now. I've purchased drugstore-like items at DTW. Moreover, airports with travel health medical practices must have a way for their clients to fill prescriptions.
Old Dec 11, 2017, 6:36 pm

Programs: IHG Spire Amb, HH Diamond, DL Diamond and 1MM
MCO is a nice airport. One has to like expensive theme parks to want to leave for the day to Orlando.
Old Dec 11, 2017, 6:42 pm

Originally Posted by Bowgie
MCO is a nice airport. One has to like expensive theme parks to want to leave for the day to Orlando.
MCO (and flights to/from MCO, especially around school holiday periods) tends to be filled with screaming kids.
Old Dec 11, 2017, 7:08 pm

Programs: DL , AC, BA, Hhonors Diamond, IH Platinum, Bonvoy Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
When PIT was built, the general public was still allowed access to the airside terminal. The whole idea is that it was a regular mall with regular prices, and they actually encouraged the general public to shop there.

The airport was about the only good thing about living in western PA. It still makes me sad to think about its current diminished circumstances.
Old Dec 11, 2017, 7:11 pm

Programs: DL , AC, BA, Hhonors Diamond, IH Platinum, Bonvoy Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
Sorry, dupe.

Last edited by hotturnip; Dec 11, 2017 at 7:12 pm Reason: Duplicate post
Old Dec 11, 2017, 7:12 pm

Originally Posted by hotturnip
When PIT was built, the general public was still allowed access to the airside terminal. The whole idea is that it was a regular mall with regular prices, and they actually encouraged the general public to shop there.

The airport was about the only good thing about living in western PA. It still makes me sad to think about its current diminished circumstances.
However, even when it was built, to me it seemed crazy to expect people to pay airport parking to shop at a mall when the Pittsburgh area already had some very nice suburban shopping malls with lots of convenient free parking.
Old Dec 11, 2017, 7:13 pm

Programs: Delta SkyMiles KM, Sky Club/Priority Pass, SPG Gold, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by hotturnip

Not sure if you've seen, but they're trying to bring the original feel back with MyPitPass (basically a gate pass to allow you to shop, eat, etc. without actually flying): Pittsburgh Airport @ Pittsburgh Airport.
Old Dec 11, 2017, 7:30 pm

Originally Posted by Fly_Delta_Jets
Not sure if you've seen, but they're trying to bring the original feel back with MyPitPass (basically a gate pass to allow you to shop, eat, etc. without actually flying): Pittsburgh Airport @ Pittsburgh Airport.
It's only Monday through Friday from 9 am to 5 pm, which isn't when most people shop at malls, nor is it operating for most of the most intense Christmas shopping days. Moreover, it can be suspended without notice on days that the airport is busy (after one has driven out to PIT and paid to park there) or PITPASS people can be forced to wait for departing passengers to clear security first. Who wants to go through a nude-o-scope or get a TSA patdown just to go shopping?
Old Dec 11, 2017, 10:37 pm

Programs: IHG Diamond, Delta PM, Hilton Gold, Accor Gold, Marriott Silver
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist

I think I've seen drugstores in other airports, but I can't picture a specific one right now. I've purchased drugstore-like items at DTW. Moreover, airports with travel health medical practices must have a way for their clients to fill prescriptions.
MUC has not only a pharmacy, but also a medical clinic proper. (Husband had a sinus infection decide to go acute on a LHR-MUC flight while vacationing, and while we missed clinic open hours, the airport pharmacist was kind and very helpful)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.