Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Delta Holiday Grinch Move: DL45 DUB>ATL via JFK

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 11, 2017, 9:05 am
Original Poster

Programs: Delta Death March, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Plat, Marriott/Hilton Gold Life

I really hope Delta folks are monitoring this forum.
On December 10, Delta 45 (DUB > ATL via JFK) was delayed 5 hours, 36 minutes (Delta (DL)
#45 ? 10-Dec-2017 ? DUB / EIDW - KJFK ? FlightAware).
Those of us who "stuck it out" and remained on the flight were auto-rebooked on flight 2816 (JFK > ATL). *edited flight number
Well instead of holding the flight for us (at least a dozen), they "rolled-forward" the departure time, thereby screwing us.

This shows Delta's true colors.

Last edited by lindros2; Dec 11, 2017 at 9:53 am Reason: corrected flight number
Old Dec 11, 2017, 9:18 am
Suspended

Programs: DL Diamond, AAdvantage EXP, Hyatt Explorist, HHonors Diamond, Avis First
Was this one of those cases where JFK departure ends up showing 5 mins earlier than the scheduled time?
Old Dec 11, 2017, 9:20 am

Programs: DL DM; Hyatt Globalist; etc
Yes, Delta's true colors - little known fact: they got into the aviation business JUST to make people misconnect. Thanks for finally exposing what DL is deep down!

Seriously: The way to make DL aware of this is not to post on FlyerTalk, but to file an official complaint on their website, where you'll get rewarded with around 20 to 30 thousand SkyMiles and hopefully someone somewhere will be made aware of the fact that you and others don't appreciate DL not protecting your flight, hopefully the station manger at JFK. There's really not much more any of us can do. I'm sure the person who made the decision to strand you didn't love having to, but given the amount of lift between JFK and ATL I can't imagine it was that much of a challenge to get there in the end.
GregInMN likes this.

Last edited by manacit; Dec 11, 2017 at 10:14 am
Old Dec 11, 2017, 9:35 am

Programs: DL PM, Marriott Gold, Hertz PC, National Exec
Well, at least you get the €600 in EU 261 compensation...
trooper likes this.
Old Dec 11, 2017, 9:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Plat, Nat'l Exec Elite, Avis Presidents Club
DL 2618 yesterday was ATL-PHX.

Assuming you're referring to DL 2816, that flight had a scheduled departure of 7:50 PM and departed at 7:48 PM. This is not "rolling forward", but exactly what you'd expect to see for any on-time departure. For a 7:50 PM departure, you have until 7:35 to get on board. If you're not at the gate and ready to board by then, you're subject to offload. Delta never promises to hold planes for anyone, nor do they do so in most cases, considering the effects on the other end: connections, crew rest, equipment scheduling, and so forth. If you were at the gate and trying to board before 7:35 and were told you were too late, then you have a [2nd] complaint. Barring that, enjoy your EC 261 comp and call it a day.
Old Dec 11, 2017, 9:48 am
Original Poster

Programs: Delta Death March, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Plat, Marriott/Hilton Gold Life
Originally Posted by cestmoi123
Well, at least you get the €600 in EU 261 compensation...
Haven't tried going that route yet.

Originally Posted by AANYC1981
Was this one of those cases where JFK departure ends up showing 5 mins earlier than the scheduled time?
Yes - and jitney coordinator called gate / gate told her that gate was closed / we were done.

Originally Posted by manacit
Yes, Delta's true colors - little known fact: they got into the aviation business JUST to make people misconnect. Thanks for finally exposing what DL is deep down!

Seriously: The way to make DL aware of this is not to post on FlyerTalk, but to file an official complaint on there website, where you'll get rewarded with around 20 to 30 thousand SkyMiles and hopefully someone somewhere will be made aware of the fact that you and others don't appreciate DL not protecting your flight. There's really not much more any of us can do. I'm sure the person who made the decision to strand you didn't love having to, but given the amount of lift between JFK and ATL I can't imagine it was that much
I didn't want / don't want SkyMiles. I want JFK's station manager to be held accountable for this nonsense.

Re-read what I'm saying.
Delta rolled forward departure time, disallowing 12+ passengers (without bags) from boarding a flight. Which it was Delta's fault that the first flight - it was more than weather - was delayed.

Similar situation:
I was on a KLM flight - Hamburg - which was held for a couple of minutes because the pilot refused to leave without a single passenger's bag, which would have ruined their holiday.

Originally Posted by javabytes
DL 2618 yesterday was ATL-PHX.

Assuming you're referring to DL 2816, that flight had a scheduled departure of 7:50 PM and departed at 7:48 PM. This is not "rolling forward", but exactly what you'd expect to see for any on-time departure. For a 7:50 PM departure, you have until 7:35 to get on board. If you're not at the gate and ready to board by then, you're subject to offload. Delta never promises to hold planes for anyone, nor do they do so in most cases, considering the effects on the other end: connections, crew rest, equipment scheduling, and so forth. If you were at the gate and trying to board before 7:35 and were told you were too late, then you have a complaint.
Do you want a screenshot? Here you go. The 7:48 was final; this is what happened at around 7:15pm.

Last edited by Canarsie; Dec 11, 2017 at 10:41 am Reason: Consolidation.
Old Dec 11, 2017, 10:13 am

Programs: DL Diamond, HHonors Diamond, National Executive Elite
Originally Posted by lindros2
Do you want a screenshot? Here you go. The 7:48 was final; this is what happened at around 7:15pm.

Again, you needed to be present at the gate 15 minutes before originally scheduled departure, i.e., 7:35 p.m. Does not matter if flight departed 5 minutes early, because 7:45 p.m. is still after that 7:35 p.m. cutoff.
Old Dec 11, 2017, 10:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Plat, Nat'l Exec Elite, Avis Presidents Club

None of this matters. There's one and only thing that does: were you at the gate and ready to board by 7:35 PM?
Old Dec 11, 2017, 10:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by javabytes
None of this matters. There's one and only thing that does: were you at the gate and ready to board by 7:35 PM?
I sincerely doubt it, given that the inbound flight from DUB didn't arrive until 7:31pm, in a different terminal.

IMO one can legitimately be upset/annoyed that an airline won't hold a flight for a group of late-connecting passenger, especially when it's the last flight of the night, especially when the original flight was a single-numbered through flight, and especially when the flight ends up arriving nearly 20 minutes early anyway. But I don't know if it rises to the level "nonsense" that someone needs to be held accountable for. (Well, the single-flight number business is actually nonsense, IMO and for that I would file a complaint with the DOT.).
Old Dec 11, 2017, 10:46 am

Could have been a FAA weather related, departure window type issue with the weather passing through the northeast yesterday.
Old Dec 11, 2017, 10:56 am

"I want JFK's station manager to be held accountable for this nonsense."

After I got offa the floor from laughing so hard, I began to wonder if you really think that the JFK
station manager really has any input when and if a flight departs early, late or on time?
Old Dec 11, 2017, 10:57 am
Original Poster

Thank you. We were actually at the gate at 7:15pm, but held up by traffic for 16 minutes (JFK has cars, baggage TUG's, etc. driving in front of the aircraft).
A solution for PM/DM would have been a Cayenne - there was one at gate B36, I believe (which is where we were scheduled - first B20, then B36, finally B28).

This isn't a "DYKWIA" situation - this was a case of "12+ passengers want to get home and everything went way off the rails, then Delta rolled forward the last flight of the night - so 7:35 became 7:30, one minute BEFORE our plane touched the gate."

re: "Well, the single-flight number business is actually nonsense, IMO and for that I would file a complaint with the DOT."
The issue here is that LCC's like WN/Southwest use this extensively, and Delta uses it (or maybe stopped using?) for flights like ATL > LGA > ATL. So not sure it's going to change any time soon, nor if there will be restrictions on how it's used...

Originally Posted by ijgordon
I sincerely doubt it, given that the inbound flight from DUB didn't arrive until 7:31pm, in a different terminal.

IMO one can legitimately be upset/annoyed that an airline won't hold a flight for a group of late-connecting passenger, especially when it's the last flight of the night, especially when the original flight was a single-numbered through flight, and especially when the flight ends up arriving nearly 20 minutes early anyway. But I don't know if it rises to the level "nonsense" that someone needs to be held accountable for. (Well, the single-flight number business is actually nonsense, IMO and for that I would file a complaint with the DOT.).
Old Dec 11, 2017, 10:59 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by OHDL1
"I want JFK's station manager to be held accountable for this nonsense."

After I got offa the floor from laughing so hard, I began to wonder if you really think that the JFK
station manager really has any input when and if a flight departs early, late or on time?
Ever hear of Equifax? I guess you can laugh that their CEO was held accountable for his people's cybersecurity stupidity.

If you're a leader, your people - good and bad - are your responsibility.

Go back to class.
Old Dec 11, 2017, 11:02 am

Programs: DL DM
[QUOTE=lindros2;29160623]

I didn't want / don't want SkyMiles. I want JFK's station manager to be held accountable for this nonsense./QUOTE]

Let's have a public flogging.

It is not nonsense. It is operational normality. For any airline. Ever.

Sorry your flight was late. By the nature of this website, I would assume we have all been on late flights. Sometimes you're the windshield...sometimes you're the bug.

I applaud Delta for their operational efficiency. Best in the US skies on most days.
KBMIFlyer and OHDL1 like this.
Old Dec 11, 2017, 11:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ijgordon

Agreed on pretty much all counts. This connection was blown from the get-go. 4 minutes to change terminals at JFK is never going to happen on foot... there's probably plenty of those they don't try to attempt even with a Porsche ride. Even if OP thinks they left him 5 minutes early, a 9 minute transfer T4-T2 is all but impossible also. First off the plane, closest gate to the Jitney, no waiting for the Jitney to depart, and closest gate to the Jitney in T2... doubtful even then but mayyyyyyyyybe. So really the complaint isn't that the flight left early and this stranded OP - it didn't - the complaint is that Delta didn't delay the flight to wait for OP and the other connecting passengers. While this may be done from time to time, it's an operational decision and never something anyone should expect, rely on, or be angry if it doesn't happen.

And yes, "direct" flights are bullcrap.

7:35 became 7:30
You know this how? In all likelihood, no, it didn't. For a 7:50 scheduled departure, everyone must be on board by 7:35. If they want to close the doors at 7:45 and push 5 minutes early, it doesn't matter one bit since all passengers must be on board by 7:35. The boarding cutoff doesn't change, the GA hurries through their process of closing the flight, and off it goes. Now, if you're saying that passengers showed up at 7:33 and were denied boarding because they closed the door at 7:30, then those passengers might have a grievance. But any argument that you might have made this flight, arriving at 7:31 and having to transfer T4-T2 by 7:35, is fiction.

Last edited by javabytes; Dec 11, 2017 at 11:09 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.