FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta-air-lines-skymiles-665/)
-   -   Bereavement change of date (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta-air-lines-skymiles/1882066-bereavement-change-date.html)

Audie Dec 10, 2017 2:47 pm

Bereavement change of date

I have had a ticket since Sept. to fly to DCA this week. Had a death in the family today and I might miss the funeral with my present date. I would probably need a one day extension. Never had to deal with this type of thing before. Any advice or ideas as to what I would be told if I ask for the change? I have such good seats on my current flight but I guess that is the way it goes.

FlyingUnderTheRadar Dec 10, 2017 3:06 pm

The airlines really do not recognize bereavement anymore. The best you can do is wait until things are set for the funeral, adjust accordingly, and hope for a sympathetic agent who might be willing to way the change fee (whilst still charging for the fare difference). Good luck and sorry for the circumstances.

Correction - seems like Delta does have a policy. See below.

indufan Dec 10, 2017 3:18 pm

Originally Posted by FlyingUnderTheRadar (Post 29157742)
The airlines really do not recognize bereavement anymore.

Actually, they do, but this policy doesn't exactly cover the situation at hand.
https://www.delta.com/content/www/en...reavement.html

NoStressHere Dec 10, 2017 4:52 pm

It is a difficult situation for airlines to deal with.

* Is there really a death?
* Why should they provide something at a discount in the first place? I doubt a restaurant or Walmart would discount their services.

Okay, I do not mean to come across cold and without caring. Just putting a business twist on it.

I do hope you can get some assistance in this situation by calling in. Be prepared to offer some "proof".

formeraa Dec 10, 2017 5:05 pm

Over the years, I have had three bereavement situations with DL. Twice, they gave me full credit for the trip to be used in the following year. Once, they waived the change fee (but I had to pay the difference in fare, which was only $25). They always ask for the funeral service information (date, time, funeral home, etc.). And, by the way, I was NOT an elite ff.

RRDD Dec 10, 2017 5:47 pm

Originally Posted by formeraa (Post 29158139)
Over the years, I have had three bereavement situations with DL. Twice, they gave me full credit for the trip to be used in the following year. Once, they waived the change fee (but I had to pay the difference in fare, which was only $25). They always ask for the funeral service information (date, time, funeral home, etc.). And, by the way, I was NOT an elite ff.

Same here. I have found DL to be very accomdating.

3Cforme Dec 10, 2017 5:53 pm

IMHO outcome will depend on how close is the family member. Death of a non-traveler doesn't seem to be covered in fare rules nor C of C.

paterwdb Dec 10, 2017 6:24 pm

Delta will be good to you if your request is within reason. They will typically ask for the name of the deceased and the name of the funeral home.
It is likely that they will waive the change fee but not any fare difference.
Of all the airlines, my experience is that Delta is the most generous with this.

Often1 Dec 10, 2017 6:42 pm

Check your travel insurance. If you are covered for the particular issue, you will get a check and not have to deal with asking DL.

Lomapaseo Dec 10, 2017 7:18 pm

Originally Posted by 3Cforme (Post 29158277)
IMHO outcome will depend on how close is the family member. Death of a non-traveler doesn't seem to be covered in fare rules nor C of C.

In my case I had already purchased a ticket to wish the sick person well. When the death preceded my scheduled flight Delta waivied the change fee after I faxed the funeral notice to them (obviously matching the city pairs)

writerguyfl Dec 11, 2017 4:53 am

Originally Posted by Often1 (Post 29158389)
Check your travel insurance. If you are covered for the particular issue, you will get a check and not have to deal with asking DL.

I've wondered this for some time now: Are you an insurance agent?

Seems like 50% of your responses to questions on FlyerTalk somehow involve an insurance policy. And, your scenarios always seems to involve an insurance company that instantly pays out every single claim with no hassles. Maybe it's me, but in the few times I've dealt with insurance companies, nothing have ever been easy.

3Cforme Dec 11, 2017 5:12 am

Originally Posted by writerguyfl (Post 29159642)
I've wondered this for some time now: Are you an insurance agent?

Seems like 50% of your responses to questions on FlyerTalk somehow involve an insurance policy. And, your scenarios always seems to involve an insurance company that instantly pays out every single claim with no hassles. Maybe it's me, but in the few times I've dealt with insurance companies, nothing have ever been easy.

I've interpreted Often1's remarks as 'You chose to self-insure when you bought a non-refundable ticket. By Contract of Carriage you're stuck paying. Do you have other insurance?' The frequency with which posters on FlyerTalk expect published rules and procedures not to apply them for reasons sundry and petty is astounding.

powerful pete Dec 11, 2017 6:50 am

I have had excellent experience with Delta in such situations - with tickets being issued/changed due to these circumstances. I have been a DL Platinum in both cases (deaths of my parents) and a call to the DL resulted in helpful and courteous service. In one case a ticket was issued at a very reasonable price (I was purchasing a ticket for next day travel from Little Rock to Rome) with a no-cost for change of return dates added to the notes on my reservation. In another case my itinerary was changed at no cost to me. In both cases I was asked to provide the name of the deceased, location of death and the hospital where it occurred (this latter point was waived when I explained that both cases happened outside of the US).

These two instances are one of the reasons that when provided the opportunity to chose, if within reason on fare price, I try to fly with Delta.

monkeyseedofly Dec 11, 2017 1:23 pm

I had a similar situation with Delta when a family member died while I was on a trip. They were amazing. They rerouted me completely to get me back to a different country in time for the funeral. They even gave me a voucher credit as the changed flight was cheaper than my original (although still trans- Atlantic). I wasn't a frequent flyer with them and was traveling on a cheapy economy ticket. I was really impressed by their compassion. My travel insurance wouldn't pay out- I tried that option first knowing that my ticket wasn't changeable.

yaychemistry Dec 11, 2017 3:08 pm

When I had a death in the family last year, all of the adult children had to change their existing nonrefundable travel plans. I got on the phone with DL and handled three different itineraries that needed to be canceled/changed. The DL phone agent waived change fees for all three. All that they asked for was the phone number of the hospital and funeral home to confirm.

Even if it's not a published benefit, I find that DL did make life just a little easier that week, and it was definitely appreciated.