Bereavement change of date

Old Dec 11, 17, 3:21 pm

Programs: DL GM, Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by FlyingUnderTheRadar View Post
The airlines really do not recognize bereavement anymore. The best you can do is wait until things are set for the funeral, adjust accordingly, and hope for a sympathetic agent who might be willing to way the change fee (whilst still charging for the fare difference). Good luck and sorry for the circumstances.

Not true, as others have said. Delta is very, very good about this. Also, United does not have a specific bereavement fare but they will waive change fees and be flexible when needed.
Old Dec 11, 17, 9:36 pm

Originally Posted by 3Cforme View Post
I've interpreted Often1's remarks as 'You chose to self-insure when you bought a non-refundable ticket. By Contract of Carriage you're stuck paying. Do you have other insurance?'
If that's the case, it's a passive-aggressive way to shame someone trying to fix a problem. That's not helpful in any manner, as far as I'm concerned. But, maybe that's just me...which is fine.

The frequency with which posters on FlyerTalk expect published rules and procedures not to apply them for reasons sundry and petty is astounding.
I agree 100% with your remark. But, as you can see, that doesn't exactly fit this case. Even if you had travel insurance, using it in a case like this might be far more stressful than simply calling Delta.

By the way, I appreciate that you took the time to provide your interpretation.
Old Dec 19, 17, 9:35 am

OneTravel waives change fees

My mother-in-law died and was buried yesterday. My wife was with her in Brazil and we contacted OneTravel to delay her return flights (FOR->GRU->LAX) on a LATAM ticket. They were very helpful and waived their change fees, but charged us $350 for the airline fees. They told us to fax the death certificate to them and they would attempt to get the airline to be lenient. I'll update this when and if works.
Old Dec 19, 17, 9:55 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by writerguyfl View Post
If that's the case, it's a passive-aggressive way to shame someone trying to fix a problem. That's not helpful in any manner, as far as I'm concerned. But, maybe that's just me...which is fine.

I agree 100% with your remark. But, as you can see, that doesn't exactly fit this case. Even if you had travel insurance, using it in a case like this might be far more stressful than simply calling Delta.

By the way, I appreciate that you took the time to provide your interpretation.
I've always interpreted many of the "you should have purchased travel insurance" posts on FT to reflect different "cultures" abroad regarding this issue, where people covered under national health insurance often must purchase their own travel medical policy for foreign travel. In such cases, the tendency seems to be to just buy full travel insurance to cover other contingencies too. However, many of us with employer provided "private" health insurance in the USA (but AFAIK not standard Medicare and usually with severe limitations for those in HMOs and other managed care restricted networks, where often only dire emergencies are covered away from one's home area) have excellent coverage worldwide, including (in my case) for emergency chartered air ambulance service back to suitable facilities the USA. When medical coverage is already present, it doesn't seem worthwhile to pay to insure hotel 24-48 hour cancellation policies or airline change fees that IMO never exceed $500 (plus a potential difference in fare--note that I fly enough so that the difference between a refund and an airline credit doesn't matter at all), but I don't take cruises, book tours, or take long vacations in isolated resorts with rules that require cancellation far in advance. For me, it makes sense to self insure, although those buying discounted (even business class) plane tickets exEurope almost always face fare rules saying that the entire ticket value is lost if the flights are not flown exactly as purchased.
Old Jan 27, 18, 1:54 pm

I just had to change flights booked with miles due to a death in the family. They waived the $150 change fee and I paid the difference in miles. We are now flying out in 2 days so the miles difference was substantial. Not the best redemption rate in the end but I appreciate the fee waiver, we could use that money for a casket or something
Old Jan 27, 18, 4:40 pm

Programs: DL Silver, Avis President's Club, Hertz President's Circle, Global Entry (Former AA Plt/Gold)
Originally Posted by NoStressHere View Post
It is a difficult situation for airlines to deal with.

* Is there really a death?
* Why should they provide something at a discount in the first place? I doubt a restaurant or Walmart would discount their services.

Okay, I do not mean to come across cold and without caring. Just putting a business twist on it.

I do hope you can get some assistance in this situation by calling in. Be prepared to offer some "proof".
My take on bereavement is that the airlines could, as good faith, offer a previously available cheaper fare bucket with some proof, even if had sold out. I don't know the DL codes, but flying last minute might result in a "Y" fare when an "S" fare was available 1-2 months ago.

Edit: Is that what Delta means as "Best published" or do they mean "best" with regard to "at time of booking"?
Old Jan 28, 18, 10:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Formaldehyde Medallion DL DieMiles
I've interpreted Often1's remarks as 'You chose to self-insure when you bought a non-refundable ticket. By Contract of Carriage you're stuck paying. Do you have other insurance?' The frequency with which posters on FlyerTalk expect published rules and procedures not to apply them for reasons sundry and petty is astounding.
I would not call a death in the family "petty."
Old Jan 29, 18, 12:33 pm

Programs: Delta DM, SPG Plat, Marriott Plat, IHG Spire
I have had Delta be extremely accommodating when it comes to er surgery/hospice/death in the family. They do usually ask for proof (numbers, etc) but they have waived change fees and fare differences in the past with no problems, and been extremely nice in the process.
Old Jan 29, 18, 1:00 pm

Programs: DL DM(segs)/MM, Hilton DM, Marriott Ti (life Pt), TSA Opt-out Platinum
Originally Posted by kitkat77 View Post
I have had Delta be extremely accommodating when it comes to er surgery/hospice/death in the family. They do usually ask for proof (numbers, etc) but they have waived change fees and fare differences in the past with no problems, and been extremely nice in the process.
Agreed. My wife passed away unexpectedly about two years ago and Delta could not have been more accommodating. I had to cancel at least 3 round trips at different times as the situation progressed. Admittedly I was such a wreck at the time I don't remember what the agents asked for, but I do recall they quickly refunded the purchases and expressed their deepest condolences. In the back of my mind I'll remember things like that whenever considering changing my primary carrier.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: