GUC's: The most bang for your buck

Old Dec 10, 2017, 2:37 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Delta DM
GUC's: The most bang for your buck

Newly minted DM here. I'm curious to hear everyone's thoughts when it comes to using their GUC's. I just recently, and successfully, used my 4 for my wife and I to fly KLM from LAX to CPT via AMS. But to get to my point/question, is that about as good as it gets when it comes to using them? I'm hoping I will continue to make DM status in the years to come and was wondering what other options I could use future GUC's on where I can get the most value out of them. I've heard horror stories about using them to SYD and even and other transpac itineraries. Europe even seems to be tough. I know I know it usually comes down to YMMV for each person. Anyway, just looking for some feedback and conversation.

OPS
Old Dec 10, 2017, 3:10 pm

Programs: DeltaSilver/MM, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by mattya9
Newly minted DM here. I'm curious to hear everyone's thoughts when it comes to using their GUC's. I just recently, and successfully, used my 4 for my wife and I to fly KLM from LAX to CPT via AMS. But to get to my point/question, is that about as good as it gets when it comes to using them? I'm hoping I will continue to make DM status in the years to come and was wondering what other options I could use future GUC's on where I can get the most value out of them. I've heard horror stories about using them to SYD and even and other transpac itineraries. Europe even seems to be tough. I know I know it usually comes down to YMMV for each person. Anyway, just looking for some feedback and conversation.

OPS
In 2015, I made diamond on 12/23/2015, I was able to upgrade for my SYD-LAX flight on 12/27/2015. I don't know about the horror stories of others. Last year, I had two GUCs which expired on 12/20/206. They cleared for me on LAX-SYD on 12/17/2016. I admit I was a bit nervous.

On my LAX-MNL trips, i was able to get my upgrades. Though on one trip MNL-NRT-LAX, I was not able to get the upgrade on NRT-LAX until I got to NRT, which mean that I sat in steerage from MNL to NRT.
Old Dec 10, 2017, 4:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
'GUC' is a productive Advanced Search term, even restricted to titles. Restrict dates, too, to keep things current.
Old Dec 10, 2017, 4:07 pm

Programs: DL DM PM
A topic of intense interest here! You would probably find this thread useful:
The Official - GLOBAL UPGRADE CERT success thread - Yay! I got it!
Old Dec 10, 2017, 4:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Plat, Nat'l Exec Elite, Avis Presidents Club
The longer the distance, the better. LAX-AMS-CPT at 11,575 miles each way is about as good as it gets for a GUC.
Old Dec 10, 2017, 4:39 pm

To me, an upgrade that clears at booking, is as valuable as the difference in price between Premium and Economy.

An upgrade that clears at the gate, and might not clear, has minimal value. This is especially true for leisure trips when I'm traveling with the family, and sitting together trumps the premium cabin.

Like you, I've found AMS to be a sweet spot in distance, connections, and clearing in advance. Sure, I might only "save" $1000 per GUC, far less than say, JNB/TLV/SYD. But a uncertain JNB/TLV/SYD isn't worth much to me.
CommentatusMaximus likes this.
Old Dec 10, 2017, 5:47 pm

Programs: Fallen DL DM (PM) 2MM
I think I've had 12 GUCs over the years and I've never had one go to the gate, let alone not clear -- all TATL. This is for the overwater leg though -- this past year I'm 1 for 3 on the domestic connection (and that 1 was LAX-SEA) with one to go tomorrow -- currently #2 for 2 (was #2 for 7 at OLCI) on LAX-JFK. I have no doubt there will be more SDCs and I will sit in the back.

Update: 12 hours out now #2 of 6 for 1 seat

Last edited by TheMadBrewer; Dec 10, 2017 at 11:31 pm Reason: Update
Old Dec 10, 2017, 7:32 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Marriott Amb, Hertz PC, Natl EE
Originally Posted by javabytes
The longer the distance, the better. LAX-AMS-CPT at 11,575 miles each way is about as good as it gets for a GUC.
That is pretty good! I have one lined up but it only just breaks 10k miles OW.
Old Dec 10, 2017, 7:36 pm

Programs: Delta 1 Million Miler, Delta DM, Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz President's Circle
Im about 50/50 at clearing in advance vs. clearing at the gate. And by in advance, I mean at booking. Ive never had any movement on them between booking and the gate. Mine have all either cleared at booking or gone to the gate. This is true in a mix of both TATL and TPAC. Ive never tried them on deep South America or Africa as my travels thus far havent taken me to those places since the introduction of GUCs.
Old Dec 10, 2017, 7:46 pm
Original Poster

So aside from CPT, SYD, JNB, or somewhere in SE Asia what other routes has anyone been successful with? I was actually looking up where KLM flies and was wondering if it's doable to route something like LAX-AMS-SE Asia? Also the more I think about it, being based on the west coast, anything to Europe would be fairly good too at 10ish hours each way (from say LAX).

OPS
Old Dec 11, 2017, 6:52 am

Programs: DL DM/MM , IHG Plat, MR Titanium, HH Gold, EK Frequent Kettle, UA Silver, AA Hater
Depends on your circumstances.

They are very valuable if they clear at booking as another poster said. But that is few and far between IME. Depends on your routes. DTW-AMS seems to be about the best.

If you allowed to buy J (lucky me) then they are worthless to you if it is not available at booking.

If you are not allowed to buy J then waitlisting and clearing later would be of great value. But one night in DXB there were 20 DM's trying to use GUC's and only 1 made it. I was very glad I was not in that group, I had 7A already!

IMO, one of the best uses is for mileage runs - I was saving 2 for a December run but then I ended up not needing the run.

Most of mine expire or get used on short domestic trips. Even then they are hard to use. Oh, and of course, the entire program is broken.
Old Dec 11, 2017, 8:23 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by dilbertsdaddy
Depends on your circumstances.

They are very valuable if they clear at booking as another poster said. But that is few and far between IME. Depends on your routes. DTW-AMS seems to be about the best.

If you allowed to buy J (lucky me) then they are worthless to you if it is not available at booking.

If you are not allowed to buy J then waitlisting and clearing later would be of great value. But one night in DXB there were 20 DM's trying to use GUC's and only 1 made it. I was very glad I was not in that group, I had 7A already!

IMO, one of the best uses is for mileage runs - I was saving 2 for a December run but then I ended up not needing the run.

Most of mine expire or get used on short domestic trips. Even then they are hard to use. Oh, and of course, the entire program is broken.
Yea I figured AMS is a good spot to use them on. I guess I'm just wondering if the GUC's are worth it (to go for DM status). Obviously that's something only I can decide. But that's why I started this thread; to get others' opinions. I do suppose west coast to Europe is pretty good. Has anyone ever done KLM or AF from the west coast to Asia? I know that's the long way around the world but it would definitely maximize the GUC's use!

OPS
Old Dec 11, 2017, 9:05 am

Programs: DL DM/MM , IHG Plat, MR Titanium, HH Gold, EK Frequent Kettle, UA Silver, AA Hater
Can't use them on AF beyond CDG.
Old Dec 11, 2017, 10:17 pm

Programs: DL DM/1MM, AS 100K
I have been looking for flights that could be booked from West Coast to Asia on KLM under Delta codes for quite some time, and the best I could find were DEL (with really good availability), BOM and CMB (latter two super rarely). CPT is a really good use btw.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.