to the four _______ on DL 837 today

Old Dec 9, 17, 9:57 pm
  #1  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Washington DC
Programs: Delta PM, Delta 1MM, Hyatt Plat, Amx Plat, Delta Amx Plat, Six-T Plat, IHG Gold, Hilton Gold
Posts: 557
to the four _______ on DL 837 today

so I know ATL was crazy the last few days. Snow freaks (some) ppl out in ATL but the crazy-ness did not have to carry over onboard DL #837 today ATL-HNL. So i was in 5J
1) 6J sits down and within (MAYBE) 30 seconds of sitting down anxiously asking the FA "will PDB's be served" dude CHILL. You've just sat down. there are other ppl on the aircraft who may need help w luggage, seating issues, or other assistance. we are at least 30 mins from departure. CHILL
2) "genius" dude in 3D I think it was who clipped his fingernails two different times during the flight as he sat at his seat. Ew! not to mention that you'd also clipped your nails in the departure area before the flight. How long are your friggin' nails?
3) to the "wonderful" dude in 3J who checked on (translation, "badgered") his female companion in 4J probably every 10 mins during the flight and YES, even she looked annoyed.
4) oh, and to the gent in 5A who kept his window shade open the ENTIRE daylight flight. yes, I'm aware that maybe there was a medical reason or some other valid reason for doing so, all I"m saying is that I"m glad I wasn't too terribly close to you, that woulda annoyed the crap outta me for 9.5 hrs...........
soxfanndc is offline  
Old Dec 9, 17, 10:21 pm
  #2  
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: BWI
Programs: DL PM, Marriott Platinum
Posts: 165
Originally Posted by soxfanndc View Post
... oh, and to the gent in 5A who kept his window shade open the ENTIRE daylight flight. yes, I'm aware that maybe there was a medical reason or some other valid reason for doing so, all I"m saying is that I"m glad I wasn't too terribly close to you, that woulda annoyed the crap outta me for 9.5 hrs...........
I am one of those people who likes the shade up unless the sun is absolutely BEAMING into the cabin. Is that a faux pas? The number of people who close the shade right after takeoff has always surprised me. Now if my seatmate requests the shade to be lowered so he/she can see the video screen, I certainly do not mind that.
aacar, winter1631, Grog and 12 others like this.
Dalewood is offline  
Old Dec 9, 17, 10:34 pm
  #3  
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: LAS HNL
Programs: DL DM, 5.7 MM, UA 3.1 MM, MARRIOTT PLATINUM, AVIS FIRST, Amex Black Card
Posts: 4,479
Have a Mai Tai or three and some macadamia nuts. Everything will be alright. Enjoy the pure Aloha of Hawaii.
Grog and jamiestr like this.
kettle1 is offline  
Old Dec 10, 17, 12:12 am
  #4  
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: New York, NY
Programs: AA ExPl, DL PM, UA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium, probably some others
Posts: 2,641
1) This person is probably on FT if they're that obsessed with PDBs, so you may not get a ton of sympathy there
2) Gross, but also, why are you staring at this person repeatedly clipping their nails?
3) Who are you sarcastically quoting when you say "wonderful"? Did he say he was wonderful? You say that he was badgering 4J but that 4J was his companion? Is it that weird to talk to your companion every 10 minutes on a flight? I agree it would have been a better choice to sit next to one another, but perhaps they were upgraded on the day of the flight or had IRROPS and couldn't get seats next to one another.
4) Plenty of reasons why somebody would keep a windowshade open for an entire daylight flight, as you mentioned, which makes it even more bizarre that you found it to be such a faux pas. I keep my window shade open across time zones as much as possible to adjust to the time change and stay awake when I'm trying not to sleep. If that bothers someone else in the cabin and they ask me about it, I'll close it most of the way. If it bothered you, you could have put your eyemask on and avoided all of the people who seemed to be ruining your flight to HNL.
crank1225, Grog and ijkh like this.
steveholt is offline  
Old Dec 10, 17, 12:20 am
  #5  
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: North America
Posts: 2,193
OP, I'm sorry to read you were having a bad day. I hope you're feeling better now that you have reached Hawaii. Have a good trip and cheer up!
CodeAdam10 is offline  
Old Dec 10, 17, 1:01 am
  #6  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Washington DC
Programs: Delta PM, Delta 1MM, Hyatt Plat, Amx Plat, Delta Amx Plat, Six-T Plat, IHG Gold, Hilton Gold
Posts: 557
Thanks everyone. Steve: re: "why was i staring at him" well... he was in 3G and I was in 5J, it's a lil hard to miss the SOUND and also, one of his clippings landed on the edge of my seat...... And to the prev poster - YES the local mai tai helped. LOL. thnx. safe travels everyone.
jamiestr likes this.
soxfanndc is offline  
Old Dec 10, 17, 8:27 am
  #7  
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Detroit, MI USA
Programs: DL DM
Posts: 5,264
I want to be your friend
bubbashow is offline  
Old Dec 10, 17, 8:52 am
  #8  
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Programs: DL GM
Posts: 640
MYOFB.
Grog likes this.
WWGuy is offline  
Old Dec 10, 17, 8:56 am
  #9  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: IND
Programs: DL DM & 2MM™, Lifetime HHonors Diamond
Posts: 20,461
My window seat. My window shade.
indufan is online now  
Old Dec 10, 17, 11:45 am
  #10  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Dallas, TX
Programs: American Airlines
Posts: 26,097
Originally Posted by WWGuy View Post
MYOFB.
minding your own business ends the second a piece of someone's fingernail lands on my seat.
aquamarinesteph likes this.
enviroian is offline  
Old Dec 10, 17, 11:51 am
  #11  
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Programs: Marriott Titanium, DL DM
Posts: 298
Originally Posted by Dalewood View Post
I am one of those people who likes the shade up unless the sun is absolutely BEAMING into the cabin. Is that a faux pas? The number of people who close the shade right after takeoff has always surprised me. Now if my seatmate requests the shade to be lowered so he/she can see the video screen, I certainly do not mind that.
This has the potential to stir debate but I think any over water flight they should be down. Mainly because a lot of people want to sleep and one open window lights up the whole cabin. On the other hand people do have the option for eye masks. Thankfully I am pretty good at sleeping in light conditions.
KingBraden is offline  
Old Dec 10, 17, 12:00 pm
  #12  
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: London
Programs: Mucci, BA Silver, Hilton Gold
Posts: 1,944
I was on a DL flight the other day and the passenger is 1C basically delayed boarding by about 5 minutes
Just would not sit down and kept checking his luggage in the overhead locker. Then got his coat out. Then put it back.
It was a CRJ so already cramped but he was completely oblivious to anybody else. Crew were strangely silent.
Sealink is offline  
Old Dec 10, 17, 12:29 pm
  #13  
pvn
Suspended
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: MEM
Programs: Starbucks Green Card
Posts: 5,431
Originally Posted by KingBraden View Post
This has the potential to stir debate but I think any over water flight they should be down.
nah

like you said, this is what eye masks are for.
pvn is offline  
Old Dec 10, 17, 12:49 pm
  #14  
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 1,091
Originally Posted by soxfanndc View Post
4) oh, and to the gent in 5A who kept his window shade open the ENTIRE daylight flight. yes, I'm aware that maybe there was a medical reason or some other valid reason for doing so, all I"m saying is that I"m glad I wasn't too terribly close to you, that woulda annoyed the crap outta me for 9.5 hrs...........
Medical Reason?

How about I chose a window seat because I like looking out the window and it's a DAYTIME flight. None of your business.

DYKWIA much?

Enjoy Hawaii, I'm sure you will find 1,001 reasons to complain on your first day there also...
aquamarinesteph, pvn, Grog and 2 others like this.
spongenotbob is offline  
Old Dec 10, 17, 12:56 pm
  #15  
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Seattle, Wa
Programs: AS 75K & BR Member- HHonors Diamond - Hertz PC - Marriott Titanium - IHG Ambassador
Posts: 2,373
Originally Posted by spongenotbob View Post
Medical Reason?

How about I chose a window seat because I like looking out the window and it's a DAYTIME flight. ...

​​​​​​​my thoughts exactly.
flyupfrnt is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread