Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Delta having issues due to snowy US weather, Thursday 12-7-2017

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Delta having issues due to snowy US weather, Thursday 12-7-2017

Search this Thread

Old Dec 8, 2017, 8:16 pm

Programs: DL DM+(segs)/MM, UA Ag, Hilton DM, Marriott Ti (life Pt), TSA Opt-out Platinum
Originally Posted by apodo77
Originally shceduled SFO-ATL-PBI....chenged to SFO-LAX-ATL-PBI and got to LAX.
Rolling delays on LAX-ATL and now logged into DL.dumb to find I have been auto rebooked on United LAX-EWR-PBI in Y (was paid F) where it is supposed to snow 5-8" tomorrow.

Now on hold for Diamond line (~ 1 hour wait) and no options on the app or DL.dumb for other flights.

Serious ... and fail on DL's part.
I would never have accepted a re-route through the heart of the storm (ATL). I’d rather spend the night and go the next day than deal with that mess.
Old Dec 8, 2017, 8:17 pm

Programs: Delta DM, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Rewards Platinum Elite, Hyatt Globalist
Pretty much all trafffic stopped now at Seattle due to to thick fog/below landing and takeoff mins.. We have rescheduled our flight three times trying to avoid Atlanta and get into NYC early tomorrow - now to find out that our flight can't get into Seattle.

Last edited by bcosinteno; Dec 8, 2017 at 8:24 pm
Old Dec 8, 2017, 8:20 pm
Suspended

Programs: Rapid Rewards, AAdvantage, SkyMiles
That's what happens when you stick your largest operation at ATL. Airlines can't control the weather but in this case I believe Delta should be OBLIGATED to shell out compensation as many people from many destinations have no choice but to connect through ATL. If Delta/ATL don't want to build adequate de-icing facilities then they should pay affected passengers accordingly.
Old Dec 8, 2017, 8:21 pm

Programs: AA ExPl, DL PM, UA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium, probably some others
DM line now quoting 90 minutes - 2 hour waits and no callback option. Oh boy.
Old Dec 8, 2017, 8:25 pm

Programs: Delta DM, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Rewards Platinum Elite, Hyatt Globalist
Been trying to get through to the PM line for about 20 minutes. Keeps disconnecting me or telling me the number you've dialed can't be reached at this time.
Old Dec 8, 2017, 8:27 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, Marriott LT Plat, HH Diamond, Avis Preferred Plus, National Executive
Originally Posted by HDQDD
I would never have accepted a re-route through the heart of the storm (ATL). I’d rather spend the night and go the next day than deal with that mess.
There was no other options not through ATL to get to PBI.
There were many more options out of LAX than SFO to get home.
Were......now there seems to be none. Booked myself on LAX-DFW-PBI on AA tomorrow as a backup.

I did not ask or auto rebook for the UA flight tomorrow.
Old Dec 8, 2017, 8:37 pm

Programs: DL PM; UA 1K; AA 1MM
Delta posted on ATL update at 10pm ET. 970 cancelations Friday, 290 Saturday (thus far). I believe that is system-wide, not just ATL, but likely knock-on effects from ATL.

Staff will be working through the night to 'reset operations'.

UPDATED: Delta teams working through night to reset ATL operations | Delta News Hub
Old Dec 8, 2017, 8:51 pm

Programs: DL DM; Hyatt Globalist; etc
Talking

Originally Posted by DCP2016
That's what happens when you stick your largest operation at ATL. Airlines can't control the weather but in this case I believe Delta should be OBLIGATED to shell out compensation as many people from many destinations have no choice but to connect through ATL. If Delta/ATL don't want to build adequate de-icing facilities then they should pay affected passengers accordingly.
you do realize that bad weather happens everywhere right? Sure, to varying degrees, but there aren't that many places that are centrally located to the USA that never have problems. Just like DL wasn't that impacted by the recent hurricanes because they don't have a hub down in TX, this is what impacts them. I'm sure if they had their biggest hub in CVG, MEM, PIT or anywhere else you can name, they'd eventually have a bad day.

From what I'm reading above, DL has continually invested de-icing facilities. Is it enough? Maybe not, but that's certainly not the only reason things are so delayed.

People on this form need to get over themselves lol
Old Dec 8, 2017, 8:58 pm
Suspended

Programs: Rapid Rewards, AAdvantage, SkyMiles
Originally Posted by manacit
you do realize that bad weather happens everywhere right? Sure, to varying degrees, but there aren't that many places that are centrally located to the USA that never have problems. Just like DL wasn't that impacted by the recent hurricanes because they don't have a hub down in TX, this is what impacts them. I'm sure if they had their biggest hub in CVG, MEM, PIT or anywhere else you can name, they'd eventually have a bad day.

From what I'm reading above, DL has continually invested de-icing facilities. Is it enough? Maybe not, but that's certainly not the only reason things are so delayed.

People on this form need to get over themselves lol
ATL might be in the South, but the South still gets knocked with bad winter weather. Many buildings/structures in the South/Midwest are prepared for hurricanes and tornadoes which don't happen everyday, so what's wrong with being prepared for snow/ice? The difference being CVG, MSP, DTW, and NYC are all prepared for winter weather. ATL is not, yet accounts for most of Delta's operations. Many destinations from ATL ONLY go through ATL so surely there should be plans in place to get planes de-iced quickly.

This isn't some dinky little Florida airport where you can just leave planes out in the sun for a few hours, this is a large operation that affects their entire network.
Old Dec 8, 2017, 9:04 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, Marriott LT Plat, HH Diamond, Avis Preferred Plus, National Executive
1:10 and counting on the Diamond line.
Old Dec 8, 2017, 9:31 pm

Programs: DL PM, Hilton Gold
ATL might be in the South, but the South still gets knocked with bad winter weather. Many buildings/structures in the South/Midwest are prepared for hurricanes and tornadoes which don't happen everyday, so what's wrong with being prepared for snow/ice? The difference being CVG, MSP, DTW, and NYC are all prepared for winter weather. ATL is not, yet accounts for most of Delta's operations. Many destinations from ATL ONLY go through ATL so surely there should be plans in place to get planes de-iced quickly.

This isn't some dinky little Florida airport where you can just leave planes out in the sun for a few hours, this is a large operation that affects their entire network.
I get your point but in a world of limited resources and many priorities, deicing equipment in ATL just isn't even close to a top priority. I live in ATL and just as recent as two years ago, our state DOT only had about 10 snow plows and salt trucks for the whole state! Sounds stupid right? Well, why spend 50 million on trucks that will almost always sit in a lot an probably not be used for 3 more years.

Snow here is rare, and this much snow, is very rare. The last time Atlanta had these amounts was 1993.

I'd also like to point out how this topic started with people saying "LOL, Atlanta will be 35, can't believe Delta is issuing waivers, they are so scared about nothing" and now look where we are - same people are crying about their hours long holds and delayed flights.

Don't get me wrong, it sucks, but weather happens and everyone needs to accept that. You can't prepare for everything.
manacit and aquamarinesteph like this.
Old Dec 8, 2017, 9:48 pm

ATL waiver now extended through Sunday 12/10.
Old Dec 8, 2017, 10:28 pm

Programs: DL DM, 5.7 MM, UA 3.1 MM, MARRIOTT PLATINUM, AVIS FIRST, Amex Black Card

Read post #50 and 71.
Old Dec 8, 2017, 10:35 pm

Programs: DL 2.8 MM/PM, AA MM/GLD, Marriott LT Platinum, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by apodo77
There was no other options not through ATL to get to PBI.
There were many more options out of LAX than SFO to get home.
Were......now there seems to be none. Booked myself on LAX-DFW-PBI on AA tomorrow as a backup.

I did not ask or auto rebook for the UA flight tomorrow.
Did you look at the nonstop LAX-MIA flights on AA as a backup? Many more flight options than the two DFW-PBI connections.
Old Dec 8, 2017, 10:49 pm

Originally Posted by pbjag

Did you look at the nonstop LAX-MIA flights on AA as a backup? Many more flight options than the two DFW-PBI connections.
I got LAX-DFW-PBI for a great price (on my company's dime not mine so it's all good). I live 2:15 drive north of Miami and try to avoid it like the plague.

Thanks for the help!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.