Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Delta having issues due to snowy US weather, Thursday 12-7-2017

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Delta having issues due to snowy US weather, Thursday 12-7-2017

Search this Thread

Old Dec 9, 2017, 9:09 pm

Programs: DL DM, UA 1K MM, Subway Club Member
Originally Posted by Oakshadow
No status currently. Due to the ATL and BOS weather, I have to change an itinerary of a flight that's scheduled to depart 5 1/4 hours as this is now a trip-in-vein due to colleagues flights being cancelled. Called 3 hours ago and was given the option to leave my number for a call-back. The recording said the wait is "over two hours." Needless to say at 3+ hours there's been no call-back. DL.com won't let me change my outbound (didn't know DL seems to automatically check you in). Getting worried here.
Was your original flight canceled or delayed by more than 90 minutes? If so, you can get a refund (see Atlanta Waiver). I'd just wait until later in the week once things have cleared up and call in, since this is IRROPs you don't need to cancel before departure. You can also fill out DL's on-line IRROP refund form at https://www.delta.com/contactus/iropForm, it's not automatic but you get an email immediately confirming the submission and, IME, they get processed in about a week.
Old Dec 9, 2017, 9:36 pm

Programs: Delta
Originally Posted by dmac7273
Snow here is rare, and this much snow, is very rare. The last time Atlanta had these amounts was 1993.
LAS got 6" about 10 years ago. Airport shut down for the day. Had to wait for the only snowplow in the county to be driven down from Mt Charleston to McCarran. (I think Clark County later purchased a snow wedge to attach to the front of a truck as a back-up plan for the airport).

Work sent us home early. As soon as I got in the car, my old DTW snow driving habits kicked in. Which meant I kept a safe distance between me and the car near me with Hawaii plates. I knew that would be a bad movie and I was right. About two miles down the road, I saw the car doing donuts in the intersection. Driver looked terrifed every time he spun around

Funniest sight was when I turned down the main street near my subdivision. My city was attempting to clear the roads. I actually saw a little Parks & Rec backhoe driving in reverse on the street, dragging snow in the shovel part. Every 2-3' it would scoop up the snow and dump in on the vicinity of the sidewalk.

I guess you make do with what you have at hand
Old Dec 9, 2017, 11:09 pm

Programs: AA, DL Platinum, AS, AF/KL, UA, VS, HA, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz Presidents Circle
Originally Posted by kenn0223
Was your original flight canceled or delayed by more than 90 minutes? If so, you can get a refund (see Atlanta Waiver). I'd just wait until later in the week once things have cleared up and call in, since this is IRROPs you don't need to cancel before departure. You can also fill out DL's on-line IRROP refund form at https://www.delta.com/contactus/iropForm, it's not automatic but you get an email immediately confirming the submission and, IME, they get processed in about a week.
Finally got hold of an agent. All good. Almost seven hours since the call-back request and none came. Got through to an agent by calling from a different phone# and just waiting on hold and got someone in 2 hours. Felt bad for the agent as they're swamped.

Hope the call-back doesn't occur in the middle of the night!

EDIT: At 12:08am, almost 9 hours after opting for a call-back instead of waiting on hold, DL called.

Last edited by Oakshadow; Dec 10, 2017 at 11:43 am
Old Dec 10, 2017, 10:06 am

Programs: DL PM/1MM, DL SkClub LT, Marr LT Plat, IHG Plat, HH Diam
The comments on DL's FB page from the kettles are quite amusing if you're looking for entertainment this morning. https://www.facebook.com/delta/
Old Dec 10, 2017, 10:11 am

Programs: DL DM+(segs)/MM, UA Ag, Hilton DM, Marriott Ti (life Pt), TSA Opt-out Platinum
Originally Posted by CVFDCHIEF180
The big problem with the entire situation is also what Delta has caused, which is closing all of the other local Southern hubs (MCO, MEM, downsizing at CVG even) and routing EVERYTHING through Atlanta........its a great business model but there is so much traffic routed through ATL that if its not a perfectly clear day its hard to get flights in and out on time......add de-icing or any other number of weather issues and you have a recipe for disaster.
...you’d have those same constraints (or worse) if any of those airports saw that same storm system. Running a bunch of money losing hubs is (obviously) also not in DLs best financial self interest.
Old Dec 10, 2017, 10:17 am

Programs: Delta SkyMiles KM, Sky Club/Priority Pass, SPG Gold, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by DLDiamond2013
I seem to recall seeing something online a couple of years ago about how Delta brings the deice crews down from MSP prior to the winter to train the ATL crews since deicing is so less frequent there.
Crews from both MSP and DTW have been in ATL since Friday to deice aircraft.
Old Dec 11, 2017, 12:01 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by hotturnip
Delta is having an identity crisis. They think they're Southwest.
The problem is that DL *is* Southeast.

Originally Posted by readywhenyouare
This is what happens when you try and ram everything through ATL. CVG is very efficient with de-icing. It was never an issue get in and out of there during winter operations.
But CVG is almost in the south?

Originally Posted by Fly_Delta_Jets
There are plans to get aircraft de-iced quickly. I don't think you understand how long it takes to de-ice a single aircraft. It can take 20-30 mins for a narrowbody and 40 mins-1 hour for a widebody...no matter how many de-ice pads or trucks you have, you're still limited by the amount of time it takes to actually spray the plane...

Weather is one of those "occupational hazards" we should all be prepared for...similar situations have happened to all the major carriers.
I guess you're the expert, but I'v never seen it take that long to de-ice an aircraft. IME it's about ten minutes, under that for a narrow body and a bit more for a wide body plane. However, I have seen longer de-icing delays at the beginning of winter as the new equipment operators get up to speed and those from last season remember the routine. The drive through de-icing stations are slick, almost like a car wash. [ADDED: I'm counting de-icing time from the time I first hear or see the fluid in FC (on wide bodies, in business class or on the upper deck of a 747 or A380) until the aircraft moves, not including any positioning time before the operation actually starts but including any checks afterward.]

This whole mess reminds me of a weather event in ATL in early January, probably about fifteen years ago. I was flying into ATL from MSP on (PM)NW and we left on schedule, arrived early, and drove right up to our gate where an employee (GA?) was waiting to operate the jetway for us. I walked off, grabbed my checked bag (which was already out on the belt when I got to baggage claim), and was out of the airport a few minutes before we were officially scheduled to land. No problem.

However, that same little dusting of snow caused a DL meltdown that day which lasted through my meeting in Atlanta. Arriving DL aircraft were sitting on the runway typically for about ten hours waiting for gates. In some cases, after waiting all way, passengers were deplaned by stairs onto icy tarmac. I recall a guy who arrived a day later than anticipated and raced to his own presentation only to be forced to return to the airport to search for his checked bag. The story at that time was that DL at ATL owned eight pieces of de-icing equipment (IIRC at that time the equipment came to the gates to "visit" departing aircraft), but only five were in operating condition and DL had only enough trained employees to actually operate three.

To leave ATL, I had a 6 am flight and my hotel concierge told me that I should leave for the airport at 2 am as the roads were expected to have another dusting of snow. I ignored that, left around 4 am with no problem, and still arrived at ATL before the check in counter was open. I remember a long line at Starbucks post-security as nothing else in the airport was open.

Last edited by Canarsie; Dec 11, 2017 at 10:03 pm Reason: Consolidation.
Old Dec 11, 2017, 12:04 pm

Programs: DL (ex-NW) Plat pining for self-serve WC's and real cheese
Wow it's a shame that DL doesn't have any hubs that can handle cold weather/snow/ice. *Cough, MSP/DTW/SLC, cough.* A shame they insist on routing so many flights through ATL when they could spread them out somewhat more.
Old Dec 11, 2017, 2:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Formaldehyde Medallion DL DieMiles
Originally Posted by DCAflyer81
Wow it's a shame that DL doesn't have any hubs that can handle cold weather/snow/ice. *Cough, MSP/DTW/SLC, cough.* A shame they insist on routing so many flights through ATL when they could spread them out somewhat more.
Or, they could upgrade their deicing capabilities in ATL.

Old Dec 11, 2017, 6:23 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by StayingHomeIsBetter
Or, they could upgrade their deicing capabilities in ATL.

For a minute, I thought that thing was a snowman from Star Wars or some similar science fiction movie.
Old Dec 12, 2017, 8:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Oakshadow
Blah! Now I'm wondering if I'm a now show, which I will be, and the originally scheduled flight takes off if would I still be able to make the fee-waiver changes. The flight is scheduled to depart 11:45pm Pacific. Originally called at 3:20pm. It's now almost 8pm. I hope these agents are friendly and flexible when I eventually talk to them.
Not entirely sure of your situation, but generally I think they are flexible. I got caught up in the April meltdown ex-JFK on a Thursday, the earliest they could rebook us was for Sunday which they did, but we ended up making separate arrangements. I wasn't about to spend my vacation on hold with Delta to cancel the rebooked flights, and so technically we no-showed, but they still refunded the tickets no problem when I sent in the request electronically after returning from the trip.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.