Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Delta Air Lines Aborted Landing Thread (Consolidated)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Delta Air Lines Aborted Landing Thread (Consolidated)

Search this Thread

Old Dec 8, 2017, 10:03 pm

Programs: Delta DM/3 MM; Hertz PC; National EE; Amtrak GR; Bonvoy Silver; Via Rail Préférence
Originally Posted by HDQDD
I've probably been on a dozen, but don't log them. Most interesting I can recall was on a J32 at RDU on RWY 5R. What was interesting is that the J32 (pre 9/11 anyway) had no cockpit door, so you can see what the pilots see. In variable winds, we touched down and then a gust of wind from behind lifted us back up, so the PIC hit the throttle and performed a go around.

Also recall listening in on UA's channel 9 on go arounds at ORD (before the RWY re-alignments of the last few years). Once the ATC guy said, "hey UAxxx good to see you again, cleared to land on 27R".
I had a similar experience recently, but on an A330-300 landing (I think) on rwy 27L at LHR; just as the rear wheels hit the runway, a strong cross-wind hit the aircraft, and the captain took the plane back up. Got back down uneventfully about 15 minutes later.
Old Dec 8, 2017, 10:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Back in Reds Country (DAY/CVG). Previously: SEA & SAT.
Programs: DL PM 1MM, AA PLAT, UA Silver, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium
I’ve experienced more planned touch-n-go’s and go-arounds than I can count on military jets when the pilots decided to do some proficiency and currency work, including simulated engine-out go arounds on a C-17 (four engines on a C-17 at least) but I have had one unplanned go-around while flying (also on a military jet). I’ve also experienced two rejected takeoffs, one at pretty high speed and one low speed just after we started our takeoff roll (those were on commercial flights).

One of the wildest things I’ve experienced was a flight test where we did a simulated engine out on a twin engine jet right at V1 during takeoff while at max takeoff weight (the engine out was “simulated” in that one engine is pulled back to idle, not completely cut-off). That’s unnerving, even when the pilots know it’s coming for a test.

Last edited by ATOBTTR; Dec 8, 2017 at 11:49 pm
Old Dec 8, 2017, 10:38 pm

Programs: Delta, AA, Hilton
I actually had my first one last week, DL1218 from ATL to LAX on the 29th. I felt the plane powering back up, then said something like "Whoa, we just aborted." to my seatmate. We were on a 739, so we got to experience that awful vibration they get on climb out a second time. Once we had reached pattern altitude the pilot came on and explained that it was because the plane in front hadn't cleared the runway in time. I think it took about 10 minutes to go around and land after the abort. I had a four hour layover in LAX so the delay didn't bother me.
Old Dec 8, 2017, 11:04 pm

Doing your own shouldn't count but it's typically a non-issue for a pilot on a go-around. You should just be able to add power and reduce flaps. That engine out at V1 is totally different, adverse yaw and all that comes with it!

But coming into JFK just last week from Moscow we had two. First I thought it was due to visibility conditions, but looked up and could see the runway environment racing by. Ultimately it was due to wind sheer (gusts up to 29kts)
Old Dec 8, 2017, 11:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Back in Reds Country (DAY/CVG). Previously: SEA & SAT.
Programs: DL PM 1MM, AA PLAT, UA Silver, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by pmrowczynski
Doing your own shouldn't count but it's typically a non-issue for a pilot on a go-around. You should just be able to add power and reduce flaps. That engine out at V1 is totally different, adverse yaw and all that comes with it!

But coming into JFK just last week from Moscow we had two. First I thought it was due to visibility conditions, but looked up and could see the runway environment racing by. Ultimately it was due to wind sheer (gusts up to 29kts)
I’m an engineer not a pilot so I’ve just been along for the ride when I’ve experienced the go-around or touch-n-go - sometimes in the observer seats in the flight deck, sometimes somewhere in the back of the aircraft. Closest I’ve done to “my own” is getting to play in the simulator on occasion.
Old Dec 8, 2017, 11:40 pm

Programs: DL DM, 5.7 MM, UA 3.1 MM, MARRIOTT PLATINUM, AVIS FIRST, Amex Black Card
Originally Posted by wxman22
umm, I never thought to note them.
And I don't need to know why. I think the Delta crews talk too much as it is, I just want them to fly the plane.
I disagree with this 100%. The PAX should be told what is going on if the Pilot has time. This helps the FA's and the PAX. It is not normal to abort a landing, but it happens. DL crews talk too much? Really?
Old Dec 8, 2017, 11:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
there’s an entire “Anyone Been On A Go-Around or Refused Takeoff?” thread in TravelBuzz ... my relevant posts are #176 (eerily similar to what ATOBTTR related in post #18 here) and #208
Old Dec 9, 2017, 8:24 am

Programs: Delta, United
I had last one last month. Pilot error - as in our pilot. Came in way too high. Hardly had to rev the engines to gain altitude. The interesting part is that they said nothing to the PAX.
Old Dec 9, 2017, 12:06 pm

Programs: DL DM, GOES
My most interesting was a gear indicator malfunction. Pilot told pax he couldn't be sure of the true status of gear lock as the indicator sometimes malfunctions, so would perform fly-by for tower to check gear. Probably since it was dusk, tower wasn't able to definitively confirm gear lock, so pilot said he was going to "land the plan hard" as that's procedure to jolt gear into locked position. Told FA & pax to make sure everything was securely stowed, know that there would be quite a thump when we landed, and not to worry about the emergency vehicle lights, as it was also standard practice to roll trucks to runway for this event. He also said they train for this in the simulator frequently, so no worries.

Well, flashing lights, thump, and there you go.
Old Dec 9, 2017, 12:29 pm

Programs: Delta DM and 2 MM, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Gold
Anyone else try to land in a windstorm at SLC? About ten years ago in an MD-something from Chicago, horrible turbulence, last minute pull-up where we might have touched the runway, my daughter chucked up when we went back into the sky for 10 minutes more of torture and fortunately landed the next time. My colleague had 4 attempts in a different plane before they made it in, still says that's her most frightening flight experience.
Old Dec 9, 2017, 2:48 pm

Programs: delta dm
Had 3 go arounds. Southwest at Midway because the plane on the ground had to abort takeoff. TWA OKC in the fog. BZN in a big cross wind and had to fly over to Spokane to refuel in the month of Jan several yrs ago on NWA. When we flew back to BZN we circled several times and the pilot over the PA said hang on we are goung for it. Lol. Couple times in heavy winds i thought we should aborted but didnt. Oh the fun of flying.
Old Dec 9, 2017, 3:57 pm

Programs: AA, WN & many Hotels... avoids UA like the plague!
Originally Posted by SeaHawg
I’ve had two, and both were on DL flights in the same week this past September-October! For perspective, I joked with the Captain of the second flight that it was my second go-around in less than a week. He laughed and said it was his first in three years!

Both flights technically arrived on-time, though.

Both were runway traffic related. Better safe than dead...Besides, the first one was a 752-loved the full-throttle climb- Beautiful sounds from the PW2000s...
Concur with the PW2xxxs, especially when 752 is lightly loaded, right up there with JT9D on lightly load 742 doing go around.
Only recall one aborted take off during roll, many go arounds, once two in a single day on different flights.
Old Nov 10, 2018, 4:41 pm

Programs: DL FO 1MM
Aborted landing - records?

I experienced my second ever aborted landing last night. It led me to wonder whether records are available online for the cause? It doesn't matter, I'm not seeking compensation I am just curious and interested.
Old Nov 10, 2018, 5:32 pm

Programs: DL DM
My recommendation would be to try and listen to the LIVEATC.net recording (if available) for your flight/airport of landing. Try and see if ATC directed the pilot to go around (they might even state the reason why like traffic not clearing, separation issues, ground traffic issues, etc). Or perhaps the pilot made the call for a missed approach due to winds, clouds, etc.

At my airline we keep internal records for go-arounds/missed approaches for engine cycle calculations and FOQA records. I don't know of any public database of this info. From a pilot's perspective it's all random. I have gone 8 months without a missed and then had 3 within one week. Keeps things interesting!
MCIUnitedGuy and steved5480 like this.
Old Nov 10, 2018, 5:49 pm

Programs: UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by angra
I experienced my second ever aborted landing last night. It led me to wonder whether records are available online for the cause? It doesn't matter, I'm not seeking compensation I am just curious and interested.
That's scary!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.