Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

How many reroutes can I add mid trip? (Delta)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 7, 2017, 11:38 am
Original Poster

Shooting for PM on Delta and I currently need 14,256 more MQMs.

Using same day confirmed flight changes, am I able to reroute multiple times? Last week I was travelling from DTW-LAX (Home) and requested a flight change to DTW-ATL-LAX which netted me an extra 524 mqms.

Sunday I flew to Dallas (LAX-MSP-DFW) and have a return trip (DFW-DTW-LAX). My return trip will currently gain me 2,959 MQMs but was hoping to milk the trip for more.

My question is: Am I able to reroute and add in extra legs, for example when in DTW, ask to travel DTW-SEA-LAX, and then when in SEA ask to travel SEA-SLC-LAX? If this is possible, this would get me 4,154 MQM's on a single "flight".

Thanks for your help in advance, I'm the new guy around here AND to the whole mileage club!
Old Dec 7, 2017, 12:10 pm
pvn
Suspended

Programs: Starbucks Green Card
You could try asking for DTW-SEA-LAX once you get to DTW, but you're (probably) not entitled to it because I seriously doubt DFW-DTW-SEA-LAX is a permitted routing. That said, some agents are not really worried about the rules and will book you if there is space in your fare bucket.
Old Dec 7, 2017, 12:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Technically, the agents are supposed to follow the routing rules for your fare. Looking at currently published fares for DTW-LAX, they all have a DL501 routing code which requires non-stop routing, so you got lucky with that change. Most of us book separate mileage runs rather than trying to endlessly game DL's same-day confirm policies. If you take this to extreme, I'd expect agents to start making notations on your tickets at some point to stop granting you favors. Ultimately, if too many people abuse the system, I'd fully expect DL to start cracking down further on the same-day change rules.
Old Dec 7, 2017, 12:17 pm
pvn
Suspended

. (never mind, saw the error)
Old Dec 7, 2017, 12:20 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by LBJ
Technically, the agents are supposed to follow the routing rules for your fare. Looking at currently published fares for DTW-LAX, they all have a DL501 routing code which requires non-stop routing, so you got lucky with that change. Most of us book separate mileage runs rather than trying to endlessly game DL's same-day confirm policies. If you take this to extreme, I'd expect agents to start making notations on your tickets at some point to stop granting you favors. Ultimately, if too many people abuse the system, I'd fully expect DL to start cracking down further on the same-day change rules.
Every flight I take, I gift both the gate agents and flight crew, so I'm hoping that will help! (Usually a box of chocolates, flavored popcorn etc). Every leg of every flight. I do my best to keep them happy!
Old Dec 7, 2017, 2:05 pm
pvn
Suspended

Gate agents aren't the ones that will be processing your SDC request. Do you have skyclub access? You could try dusting off one of the club agents in DTW but I don't know if that will change anything.
Old Dec 7, 2017, 3:04 pm

Programs: DL DM
Originally Posted by EndiSky
Every flight I take, I gift both the gate agents and flight crew, so I'm hoping that will help! (Usually a box of chocolates, flavored popcorn etc). Every leg of every flight. I do my best to keep them happy!
Someone in corporate is likely watching the SDC's and they are the ones that count. Gate Agents and Flight crews don't really count for that type of thing. Anytime a rule is broken or misused, someone somewhere
sees it, these days. You can pretty much figure that everything eventually comes under scrutiny.
Old Dec 7, 2017, 3:22 pm
In memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DM life is over 2MM PM now & NW MillionAir Wyndham Rewards Plat -Hotels.com Silver -Accor Silver
With sooooo many last second flight changes I'd be realllllly tired of being stuck in middle seats.
CarmenOM likes this.
Old Dec 8, 2017, 4:03 am

Programs: Delta Plat, former AA EXP, AS Gold, SPG Gold, IHG Plat.
Originally Posted by EndiSky
Shooting for PM on Delta and I currently need 14,256 more MQMs. Using same day confirmed flight changes, am I able to reroute multiple times? Last week I was travelling from DTW-LAX (Home) and requested a flight change to DTW-ATL-LAX which netted me an extra 524 moms. Sunday I flew to Dallas (LAX-MSP-DFW) and have a return trip (DFW-DTW-LAX). My return trip will currently gain me 2,959 MQMs but was hoping to milk the trip for more.

My question is: Am I able to reroute and add in extra legs, for example when in DTW, ask to travel DTW-SEA-LAX, and then when in SEA ask to travel SEA-SLC-LAX? If this is possible, this would get me 4,154 MQM's on a single "flight".
Rather than rely on the goodness or ignorance of gate agents, what about focusing on booking your MR with very short changes, at busy airports, whenever possible? Delta can be very optimistic about minconnect times, and when you do miss a connection, they are very good about offering many, sometimes convoluted options for your rebooking, usually right in the Delta app with little waiting or negotiating required.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.