http://news.delta.com/delta-and-west...-joint-venture

Very interesting...
Old Dec 6, 2017, 7:40 am
TTT
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM MM, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by jamiestr
Some additional discussion going on in this thread as well:
Is WestJet about to go exclusive with Delta?
Old Dec 6, 2017, 8:10 am

Programs: DL PM, Marriott Gold
From Reuters

Canada's second-largest carrier said it intends to increase its number of aircraft to 96 by 2020 from 51 at the end of the third quarter, as the airline eyes both price-sensitive passengers and higher-paying customers.
WestJet, which competes against Air Canada, said it struck a preliminary agreement with Delta to coordinate schedules for new nonstop flights in the United States and Canada.
WestJet Chief Executive Gregg Saretsky said in a statement that the company will invest in initiatives that would support its transition from a "low-cost point-to-point model into a high value-based network airline with a global footprint."
As to the DL press release, it'll be interesting to see how the Elite+ benefits translate. WIll there be a SkyTeam tie-up (i guess that depends on factors beyond Delta, though). I've been curious about WS's Prem Eco type product on the 763 to Europe. If it's priced right, and earns DL mqms I might consider it.

I had been seeing some airline analysis that had been questioning WestJet's mixed LCC/full serve strategy. I guess we see where they are trying to go. Not sure if this will have any impact on AC's Rouge strategy.
Old Dec 6, 2017, 8:17 am

Programs: DL PM, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by TTT
Some additional discussion going on in this thread as well:
Is WestJet about to go exclusive with Delta?
Aha. From that thread
WS announced a closer relationship with AF and KL last week with full earn/burn and reciprocity with FlyingBlue.
Also see there that DL metal flights booked through WS will earn some percent DL mqms starting 1/1/18 if credited to Skymiles.
Old Dec 6, 2017, 9:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by RaflW
Aha. From that thread

Also see there that DL metal flights booked through WS will earn some percent DL mqms starting 1/1/18 if credited to Skymiles.
Doesn't have to be DL metal to earn MQM's/MQD's. Hawaiian and Great Lakes flights will also earn some MQM's/MQD's after Jan 1.
Old Oct 23, 2020, 5:28 pm

Programs: Delta Skymiles, Marriott Bonvoy
The US DoT has given tentative approval for the nearly three-year-old Delta / WestJet JV application.

Reuters Article here
cirrusdragoon likes this.
Old Oct 24, 2020, 9:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA CONCIERGE KEY & 1MM, HILTON DIAMOND
Westjet has fantastic Business and Premium products on their long-haul 787 fleet
Old Oct 24, 2020, 11:25 am
VFR

Programs: AA PP, DL PM
Hopefully this will result in WS becoming a preferred partner, SkyMiles benefits on WS, and DL improving the mileage earning rates to match their other JV partners like AM. WS could end up a good non-JV option for itineraries to LGW for DL fliers.

DL/WS together have to give up eight slot-pairs at LGA, and each slot given up must be matched with an existing WS slot within 30 min. Given that WS currently only flies LGA-YYZ, I don't think they will give up any slots, so DL is probably going to have to cut the eight worst-performing flights that match up.

The DOT did put some limits on who can get the slots -- it has to be new entrants or limited incumbents with less than five percent of LGA slots, and it has to be a blind auction where DL/WS does not know the buyer. I wonder if there might be room for PD to add LGA-YTZ; they currently only fly to EWR but New Yorkers have it in their head that LGA is the close airport. Otherwise, we will probably see WN/B6/F9/NK pick the slots up -- you can bet there is going to be some screaming on the DL end about the AA/B6 partnership if that happens.

I think that this is probably going to push AC/UA into a transborder JV.
James91 likes this.
Old Oct 24, 2020, 11:53 am

Programs: AA GLD, AC
Originally Posted by VFR
I wonder if there might be room for PD to add LGA-YTZ; they currently only fly to EWR but New Yorkers have it in their head that LGA is the close airport.
LGA doesn't do customs/immigration screening, and there's no US preclearance at YTZ, so Porter quite simply can't fly that route. Well, not unless they want to pay to launch a preclearance facility at YTZ itself, and I'm pretty sure that's not part of their business model.

Anyway, as nice as it is to have this JV up and running, I remain devastated by WestJet's departure from YQB. LGA-YYZ-YQB was the one route I regularly flew with them, and now it seems to be either UA from EWR (shudder) or AC, with miles that don't do too much for me. DL in the past had a nonstop JFK-YQB service, but for years at least it's only been seasonal (summer and I think some years for a brief period in January during Carnaval). I doubt they'll reinstate that anytime soon given the current situation.
Old Oct 24, 2020, 3:16 pm
VFR

Originally Posted by M60_to_LGA
LGA doesn't do customs/immigration screening, and there's no US preclearance at YTZ, so Porter quite simply can't fly that route. Well, not unless they want to pay to launch a preclearance facility at YTZ itself, and I'm pretty sure that's not part of their business model.
I had forgotten about that. I believe YTZ wants pre-clearance and is negotiating with the Canadian government, but they have an issue of how to fund it.

So it's not going to be PD. Among airlines currently at LGA, we are back to F9, B6, WN, and NK. Maybe SY is interested in running flights to MSP?
Old Oct 24, 2020, 6:02 pm

Originally Posted by VFR
I had forgotten about that. I believe YTZ wants pre-clearance and is negotiating with the Canadian government, but they have an issue of how to fund it.

So it's not going to be PD. Among airlines currently at LGA, we are back to F9, B6, WN, and NK. Maybe SY is interested in running flights to MSP?
Probably the US government they need to negotiate with for US preclearance facilities at YTZ. Canada already has Customs at YTZ.
Old Oct 24, 2020, 6:26 pm
VFR

Originally Posted by sydneyracquelle
Probably the US government they need to negotiate with for US preclearance facilities at YTZ. Canada already has Customs at YTZ.
Yeah, The Points Guy did some good reporting on this back in March, which I'm pretty sure was the article I read.

Basically, the US government said that all future pre-clearance facilities had to be funded by the country that they are in. Canada operates its airports using revenue from airport operations (I believe it actually makes a slight profit for the government), so the Canadian federal government is not necessarily going to foot the bill. The cost of pre-clearance could be passed on to travelers in a $25 per fare fee, but Billy Bishop does not want to be treated differently cost-wise than Pearson.
Old Oct 24, 2020, 10:21 pm

Programs: DL DM, 1.5MM, NEXUS, Sky Club Lifetime, Admirals Club Lifetime, LowValueCustomer everywhere
Originally Posted by VFR
Hopefully this will result in WS becoming a preferred partner, SkyMiles benefits on WS, and DL improving the mileage earning rates to match their other JV partners like AM. WS could end up a good non-JV option for itineraries to LGW for DL fliers.

DL/WS together have to give up eight slot-pairs at LGA, and each slot given up must be matched with an existing WS slot within 30 min. Given that WS currently only flies LGA-YYZ, I don't think they will give up any slots, so DL is probably going to have to cut the eight worst-performing flights that match up.

The DOT did put some limits on who can get the slots -- it has to be new entrants or limited incumbents with less than five percent of LGA slots, and it has to be a blind auction where DL/WS does not know the buyer. I wonder if there might be room for PD to add LGA-YTZ; they currently only fly to EWR but New Yorkers have it in their head that LGA is the close airport. Otherwise, we will probably see WN/B6/F9/NK pick the slots up -- you can bet there is going to be some screaming on the DL end about the AA/B6 partnership if that happens.

I think that this is probably going to push AC/UA into a transborder JV.
One of our homes is in NJ and LGA is closer than EWR and an easier trip. Also, DL's facilities at EWR suck as do their routes!!!
Old Oct 24, 2020, 11:47 pm

Programs: Delta 2M DM, Southwest A List and CP
It will be interesting to see how DL award travel on DL/WS is going to develop... There used to be 25K R/T award tickets from the US to Canada on a DL/WS flight combination, but they have largely disappeared and are now WS only (flights involving DL tend to be a lot more expensive). DL award travel from the US to YHZ (involving WS) is totally non-existent, even though paid tickets can be purchased. A lot of room for improvement!
Old Oct 25, 2020, 6:20 am

Originally Posted by PHXflier
It will be interesting to see how DL award travel on DL/WS is going to develop... There used to be 25K R/T award tickets from the US to Canada on a DL/WS flight combination, but they have largely disappeared and are now WS only (flights involving DL tend to be a lot more expensive). DL award travel from the US to YHZ (involving WS) is totally non-existent, even though paid tickets can be purchased. A lot of room for improvement!
I’m still able to book ATL>YYZ>YXU flights for 12,500 miles each way. Been doing this for years for my kids going back and forth from college. But I book many months in advance. I note that there are always 4 seats per flight allocated here.

Last edited by sydneyracquelle; Oct 25, 2020 at 3:24 pm

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.