DTW Sky Club - changes coming

Old Dec 4, 2017, 11:31 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: Delta Diamond, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, United Silver
DTW Sky Club - changes coming

I visited the main Sky Club in Detroit last night to discover that new carpeting had been installed in the lounge. The helpful desk agents indicated new furniture would be installed relatively soon as well. They also indicated that the area across from the Sky Club where, I believe, the airport chapel is presently located, would host a much-needed addition as apparently they are connected through a currently hidden passageway. It also sounds like a new bar -- not self-serve! -- is coming very soon too.
CommentatusMaximus likes this.
Old Dec 4, 2017, 12:31 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
I'm wondering whether this is good news or bad news. I suppose the new furniture will be white plastic and the fake velvet upholstery in cream and blue that looks horribly worn after a few months. I'm also guessing that DL's war on cubicles will continue and the few remaining ones there (four I believe) will soon be gone.
Xeno and hockeystl like this.
Old Dec 4, 2017, 12:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM & MM, Hilton DM, Marriott gold, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska 75K, Wyndham Diamond,
Disappointing news if the self serve bar goes away. The space does need to be bigger though. I wish they were adding more showers.
Old Dec 4, 2017, 12:46 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: Delta Diamond, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, United Silver
Also, the main Sky Club no longer has ANY newspapers on the weekend. Not even the Detroit Free Press. It used to have the Financial Times seven days a week. I've noticed the only real magazines left are National Geographic Traveler. Rake and The Economist are never carried anymore.

However, the C concourse Sky Club has both Detroit weekend newspapers; just not Sunday, only Saturday.
Old Dec 4, 2017, 12:47 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jamesteroh
Disappointing news if the self serve bar goes away. The space does need to be bigger though. I wish they were adding more showers.
If they are correct about the addition, it will be a significant addition. I know many international passengers have complained because there is often no place to sit between 5-8 p.m. The easiest solution would be limiting the lounge to international and domestic first-class passengers and forcing everyone else to use the three other lounges. It's overcrowded because many people don't realize there are additional lounges.

I was also specifically told "passengers want top-shelf liquor."
Old Dec 4, 2017, 12:52 pm
pvn
Suspended

Programs: Starbucks Green Card
I would assume it's the same furniture that's in the ATL B club. MEM recently got new furniture and it's all the same as B.

There are no individual cubicles in the MEM club but there is a very quiet work area behind the check in desk, they have so far left that alone.
Old Dec 4, 2017, 1:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM & MM, Hilton DM, Marriott gold, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska 75K, Wyndham Diamond,
Originally Posted by hockeyinsider
If they are correct about the addition, it will be a significant addition. I know many international passengers have complained because there is often no place to sit between 5-8 p.m. The easiest solution would be limiting the lounge to international and domestic first-class passengers and forcing everyone else to use the three other lounges. It's overcrowded because many people don't realize there are additional lounges.

I was also specifically told "passengers want top-shelf liquor."
Problem is there are flights that go out of the center gates that are domestic and it would be a pain to go to an end club and then back if you have a flight out of A40. I will go in the center club if my flights are out of an end gate if I want something to eat since they are the only club that has the omlettes in the morning or things like meatballs at dinner time, but I always go to the club closest to my gate after eating.

I wish they would open up an international lounge at DTW with better quality stuff. Hopefully they will leave the self service soda machines there.
CommentatusMaximus likes this.
Old Dec 4, 2017, 1:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The elevated room across from the Sky Club used to be the LH lounge. I'm pretty sure it's used for training events these days. It's not very big and I don't see how there could be a secret passage to it. There's no "chapel" in McNamara that I'm aware of. Just a small prayer room down on concourse level.
Old Dec 4, 2017, 1:50 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta SkySponge ExtraAbsorbent, SPG Gold
I wish they would open up an international lounge at DTW with better quality stuff. Hopefully they will leave the self service soda machines there.
I don't see that happening when ATL and JFK don't have an international lounge and they have many more international flights than DTW.
Old Dec 4, 2017, 2:18 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by LBJ
The elevated room across from the Sky Club used to be the LH lounge. I'm pretty sure it's used for training events these days. It's not very big and I don't see how there could be a secret passage to it. There's no "chapel" in McNamara that I'm aware of. Just a small prayer room down on concourse level.
The agent, who has at been at Detroit since before McNamara opened, said they are connected by a mezzanine.
Old Dec 4, 2017, 5:06 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Marriott Amb, Hertz PC, Natl EE
Problem is there are flights that go out of the center gates that are domestic and it would be a pain to go to an end club and then back if you have a flight out of A40. I will go in the center club if my flights are out of an end gate if I want something to eat since they are the only club that has the omlettes in the morning or things like meatballs at dinner time, but I always go to the club closest to my gate after eating.

Would love a D1 lounge! AA and UA have both done this, time for DL to catch up.
jamesteroh, hi55us and KDCAflyer like this.
Old Dec 4, 2017, 6:32 pm

Location: SEA, or BOS, or MUC, or other places (probably connecting). "Detroit, Michigan is in the Eastern time zone."
Programs: DL PM/1MM, AS 100K, NEXUS/GE, CLEAR, Bonvoy Platinum, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by CommentatusMaximus
Would love a D1 lounge! AA and UA have both done this, time for DL to catch up.
Back in the day DL had BusinessElite lounges in some locations, and even a few First Class lounges until they stopped 3-class service and converted them to BusinessElite lounges (JFK T3 had one). I've been told that there's space next to the BOS A satellite Sky Club that was going to be a BusinessElite lounge, but was never built because they stopped having BE lounges before the terminal was completed. it's still there and could be built out into a DeltaOne lounge; I'm not sure where they'd find space for any at other airports (JFK T4, DTW, MSP, ATL, etc) though....
Old Dec 4, 2017, 6:49 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL FO, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by CKDGM
Back in the day DL had BusinessElite lounges in some locations, and even a few First Class lounges until they stopped 3-class service and converted them to BusinessElite lounges (JFK T3 had one). I've been told that there's space next to the BOS A satellite Sky Club that was going to be a BusinessElite lounge, but was never built because they stopped having BE lounges before the terminal was completed. it's still there and could be built out into a DeltaOne lounge; I'm not sure where they'd find space for any at other airports (JFK T4, DTW, MSP, ATL, etc) though....
Hopefully the new access restrictions mean that all SCs at international stations will see upgraded service. I think that's where things could be headed. DL has to respond to the Polaris and Flagship lounges.
Old Dec 4, 2017, 7:41 pm
In memoriam

Programs: DL 2MM, AA MM, DL Sky Club Life, AA Admirals Club Life, Hilton Gold Life
Originally Posted by hockeyinsider
The agent, who has at been at Detroit since before McNamara opened, said they are connected by a mezzanine.
You mean by the concourse rail service platform?

That will save a walk since to enter the existing club it's beyond the end of the last car on the train
Old Dec 4, 2017, 8:50 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
I don't see how the old LH lounge (which is small) and the main SC at DTW can be connected. They almost look at each other if you're in the back by the windows near the cubicle room, but there's a really high ceiling above the concourse level there. If you go way farther back, you're where the security checkpoint lets out passengers, who then go down the escalators to the concourse. I don't see how DL could arrange an internal passageway there, as opposed to running two completely separate lounges, with the new LH space being almost too tiny to be worth staffing.

Maybe the plan is to install a hanging bridge. Perhaps it could be made of glass, like the one in China (which is apparently closed now).

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.