Community
Wiki Posts
Search

DTW Sky Club - changes coming

Search this Thread

Old Apr 6, 2019, 6:35 pm

Programs: Delta Platinum; Hilton Diamond; Marriot Gold
Originally Posted by hockeyinsider
Dennis, a supervisor at the main Detroit Sky Club, confirmed to me this morning that an annex lounge will open by next year in the space directly across and above the concourse. I first reported this last year. He mentioned it when I complained about most of the electrical outlets not working today.
just to confirm, you mean an aNNex (as in, a secondary) lounge, not an aMex (as in a Centurion) lounge?
Old Apr 6, 2019, 6:50 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: Delta Diamond, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, United Silver
Originally Posted by Pianoman109876

just to confirm, you mean an aNNex (as in, a secondary) lounge, not an aMex (as in a Centurion) lounge?
Yes, an annex. Annex is my word. I think he called it an expansion.
Old Apr 6, 2019, 7:38 pm

Programs: DL PM 1MM
Dennis, a supervisor at the main Detroit Sky Club, confirmed to me this morning that an annex lounge will open by next year in the space directly across and above the concourse. I first reported this last year. He mentioned it when I complained about most of the electrical outlets not working today.
Sounds like your contact might be describing the non-DL/NW business class lounge that was located across the atrium from the "A" main SkyClub. As I seem to recall, that business class lounge closed once DTW finished up their North Terminal renovations and all the non-SkyTeam airlines moved out of McNamara several years ago. I don't remember who's lounge it was - Lufthansa perhaps?
Old Apr 6, 2019, 7:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mnbp
Sounds like your contact might be describing the non-DL/NW business class lounge that was located across the atrium from the "A" main SkyClub. As I seem to recall, that business class lounge closed once DTW finished up their North Terminal renovations and all the non-SkyTeam airlines moved out of McNamara several years ago. I don't remember who's lounge it was - Lufthansa perhaps?
Yes, it was formerly a LH lounge before the North Terminal was constructed and they moved over there. I've seen DL use it at various times for what appears to be training, team building exercises, etc. over the years since LH moved out.
Old Apr 7, 2019, 7:26 am

Programs: DL DM, National EE, Hertz PC, IHG PL, Bonvoy Amb
Is this across as in on the even #'d gate side of terminal, or across as in above Bigalora, etc? Thx
Old Apr 7, 2019, 7:35 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: Delta Diamond, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, United Silver
Originally Posted by MarkCron
Is this across as in on the even #'d gate side of terminal, or across as in above Bigalora, etc? Thx
The side with Bigalora, Brooks Brothers, etc.
Old Apr 7, 2019, 7:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by MarkCron
Same side as the tram is only place that currently has a space for one. If you look out the windows and across, you can see the area in its current form as a meeting space.
Old Apr 7, 2019, 11:58 am

Programs: DL DM+(segs)/MM, UA Ag, Hilton DM, Marriott Ti (life Pt), TSA Opt-out Platinum
Would this be a separate club? If memory serves, there's no connection between the two sides on that level, unless they either build a bridge or perhaps a walkway behind the escalators (not sure if there's enough room for that and it would be a long walk.)
Old Apr 7, 2019, 12:03 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by HDQDD
Would this be a separate club? If memory serves, there's no connection between the two sides on that level, unless they either build a bridge or perhaps a walkway behind the escalators (not sure if there's enough room for that and it would be a long walk.)
Not sure. I let him know that even with all of the access changes the lounge is still overcrowded and in the late afternoon and evening you can't find seats, which is outrageous if you're a Delta One customer with a paid membership. I told him the overcrowding could be partially solved if the same food was served in the secondary lounges at each end of the A concourse and the one lounge for the B and C concourses.

He further acknowledged that moving the service desks downstairs caused problems with the electrical, which is why most of the outlets aren't working. Apparently, they have bought some tripod-style devices that people can plug into but they don't have enough working outlets to install them at the present time.
Old Apr 7, 2019, 3:16 pm

where are the stairs that lead to that space? It seems like it would make more sense for both the existing club and that club to have doors to the tram platform and have checkin upstairs.
Old Apr 7, 2019, 3:19 pm

which is outrageous if you're a Delta One customer with a paid membership.
I'm not sure why that particular combo is any more relevant than any other valid method of access. I don't see any rational reason that a "member" should be prioritized over (eg) a paying D1 customer or a Amex card holder.
jdrtravel and krlcomm like this.
Old Apr 7, 2019, 3:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by WillBarrett_68
where are the stairs that lead to that space? It seems like it would make more sense for both the existing club and that club to have doors to the tram platform and have checkin upstairs.
No stairs that I'm aware of, just the down escalators. You'd have to take the elevator to get up to entrance from the departures level. Probably more intended for DTW-based passengers as it's just past the Clear/Pre-check security checkpoint.
Old Apr 7, 2019, 3:23 pm

That makes sense for an LH lounge since they would presumably have very, very few connecting passengers (probably just irrops reroutes)
Old Apr 7, 2019, 3:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM & MM, Hilton DM, Marriott gold, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska 75K, Wyndham Diamond,
Be great if it was a Priority Pass lounge. Speaking of Prioirty Pass, I see the lufthansa lounge at the north terminal at DTW is now a member of priority pass. That is going to be nice when I have a flight on a non-delta carrier.
Old Apr 7, 2019, 3:51 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by WillBarrett_68
I'm not sure why that particular combo is any more relevant than any other valid method of access. I don't see any rational reason that a "member" should be prioritized over (eg) a paying D1 customer or a Amex card holder.
Because Delta has made it clear it cares more about customers who spend more money with them. Moreover, Delta's competitors United and American both have exclusive lounges for customers flying their highest class of service. As Delta doesn't, at least right now, it's in their interest to ensure these high-value customers don't switch to a competitor because of the overcrowded Sky Club lounges.

And American Express cardholders have access to non-Delta lounges. Delta customers who hold a Sky Club membership don't.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.