Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Black Delta Luggage Locks

Search this Thread

Old Dec 4, 2017, 7:23 am
Original Poster

Black Delta Luggage Locks

I returned from PUJ last week and checked a couple of bags. When reclaiming the bags in ATL, I noticed the bag were "locked" with some black zip-ties that said Delta and had serial numbers on them. I've never seen that before and have flown Delta and other airlines many times internationally. I'm assuming this is to prevent theft by baggage handlers and figured there have been problems at PUJ. If that's the case, it is a nice idea, even though I'm sure a serious thief could still get into a bag. My wife had some cheap costume jewelry stolen out of a bag from CUN once so we don't put anything in checked bags that could appear to be valuable.
Old Dec 4, 2017, 7:40 am
In memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DM life is over 2MM PM now & NW MillionAir Wyndham Rewards Plat -Hotels.com Silver -Accor Silver
DL at MEX does this, too.
Old Dec 4, 2017, 12:00 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta Diamond, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, United Silver
So what's to keep a Delta employee from cutting it open, taking your stuff and putting new locks on?
Old Dec 4, 2017, 12:13 pm

Programs: Avis Trump. Costco Exec. SPG PLAT PREM-90. WN A+/CP. AA SLV. Nat EE..
Originally Posted by hockeyinsider
So what's to keep a Delta employee from cutting it open, taking your stuff and putting new locks on?
one would hope that the locks themselves are somehow locked and controlled. Curious iOP if you still have that lock cut it open and see if there is an RFID in it.
Old Dec 4, 2017, 9:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CX, DL, Nexus/GE, APEC
They might be the security ties which has some form of anti-cut/snip reinforcement.
Old Dec 5, 2017, 5:17 am
Suspended

Programs: DL DM, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Platinum, etc etc etc
Originally Posted by ucfjoe
one would hope that the locks themselves are somehow locked and controlled. Curious iOP if you still have that lock cut it open and see if there is an RFID in it.
Truck drivers have the same system essentially especially in retail. The store they drop off at attaches a zip tie to the lock of the trailer, and the next store cuts it off and when it leaves puts on its own unique zip tie.

My guess would be at these airports they have X trusted employees who attach these, and then nobody else has access to them. If the zip tie is missing then they know ground crew cut it.
Old Dec 5, 2017, 7:15 am
Original Poster

Unfortunately I threw them away. They didn't seem like they had RFID chip in them though. They were easy to cut with a knife or scissors but there would be almost impossible to break by hand.
Old Dec 5, 2017, 7:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM & MM, Hilton DM, Marriott gold, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska 75K, Wyndham Diamond,
Smart on Delta's part. Only problem I would have would be getting the locks cut but I am sure the hotel staff is glad to loan someone a pair of scissors.
Old Dec 5, 2017, 8:09 am
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA PPro/DL PLT, PPass, Marriott / Hilton Gold, JetBlue Mosaic, Hertz Presidents Circle, Amex Plat
This has been standard procedure a SDQ for a few years now. A red lock with a serial number is put, the number is noted by the check-in agent.
Old Dec 5, 2017, 8:10 am

Programs: AA PPro/DL PLT, PPass, Marriott / Hilton Gold, JetBlue Mosaic, Hertz Presidents Circle, Amex Plat
The serial number written by the check-in agent in a list.
Old Dec 5, 2017, 8:12 am

Programs: Status? What's status?
I saw these on flights in and out of Brazil on a recent trip. The tags I saw were numbered with piece that could be removed at check-in and retained by the passenger, similar to the stub of the pink gate-check tags, so that it could be easily tracked whether the tag had been removed and replaced.

Last edited by lmsalman; Dec 5, 2017 at 8:13 am Reason: typo
Old Dec 5, 2017, 9:44 am
Suspended

Programs: Delta Diamond, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, United Silver
It would be nice if this was done at all airports.
Old Dec 5, 2017, 11:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Formaldehyde Medallion DL DieMiles
So, what happens when TSA decides they want to remove this in order to inspect your luggage?
Old Dec 5, 2017, 4:13 pm

Originally Posted by StayingHomeIsBetter
So, what happens when TSA decides they want to remove this in order to inspect your luggage?
Happened to me already... They just cut it and leave you a nice note inside
Old Dec 6, 2017, 4:18 pm

Programs: Delta Plat
I have seen this out of SDQ a few times but they were red not black.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.