Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Waitlisted GUC - Delta App or Expert Flyer - who is telling the truth?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 2, 2017, 11:18 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM, Marriott Platinum, Formerly UA 1P/Gold, Hilton Gold

Flying SEA-AMS tomorrow.

Delta App says 4 seats available:

ExpertFlyer says 1:

“Jill” at Delta says she can’t discuss specific inventory, but says there are still open seats however the number in the app is not correct. She does tell me one other Diamond is waitlisted for the flight with a GUC. Looks like s/he hasn’t checked in yet.
Old Dec 2, 2017, 12:02 pm

Programs: Skymiles GM
They are both right. 4 seats unassigned, one seat for sell. You're pulling from two sources with two different uses.
Old Dec 2, 2017, 12:17 pm

Programs: DL DM/2.768MM, Global Entry, Titanium_Marriott, GHertz
Right, if you would use the EF seat map that would match what you see in the DL app. So your title is wildly misleading.
Old Dec 2, 2017, 3:43 pm
Original Poster

So"seats available" on the upgrade screen is no different than counting open seats on the seatmap? I thought it was more accurate than that.

Inventory on Expert flyer now shows J2. And upgrade screen now says one seat left. So is the interpretation one real seat left, and DL overselling by one, expecting a no-show? Or is the correct interpretation two seats left, one of which is reserved (maybe for a pax with special needs)?
Old Dec 2, 2017, 3:49 pm

Programs: Skymiles GM
It could be either. I'm not sure how frequently Delta blocks Delta One seats.
Old Dec 2, 2017, 9:53 pm

Programs: Fallen DL DM (PM) 2MM
I have a GUC waitlisted for LAX-JFK (JFK-BRU already cleared) in a week or so. The app says 17 seats available and EF says J9 (I know 9 is the max). This has been waitlisted since July, you think it might have cleared -- especially since the RUC I applied on the return JFK-LAX (13 seats available per the app) cleared 6 weeks or so ago...

Whenever I have to call about something else, I often ask "While I have you on the line, could you check on my LAX-JFK waitlist..." and they all say it is applied correctly.

Oh well...
Old Dec 3, 2017, 1:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by pauly_long
So"seats available" on the upgrade screen is no different than counting open seats on the seatmap? I thought it was more accurate than that......
No. There are three different things. Your thread title is plainly incorrect due to your misunderstanding of how inventory works.

Expertflyer shows how many seats are available for sell which includes oversells.
Counting open seats on seatmap shows how many seats are unassigned which doesn't include sold seats without assignment and also excludes blocked seats.
Seat Available on upgrade screen shows how many seats have not checked in which doesn't account for seats sold but not checked in.

Those are different inventories can show rather different numbers. In other words, all are telling the truth from different perspectives. For upgrade at gate, Seat Available is the one that counts.
Old Dec 3, 2017, 7:23 am

Programs: DL DM, AA EXP, various hotel
Originally Posted by TerryK
No. There are three different things. Your thread title is plainly incorrect due to your misunderstanding of how inventory works.

Seat Available on upgrade screen shows how many seats have not checked in which doesn't account for seats sold but not checked in.
If you’re going to be rude, you may also want to try to be correct.

Seats available in the app shows the number of unassigned seats plus the number of seats blocked for assignment at the gate. Check-in status of the owner of those seats is irrelevant. It also (unlike “seats available” on the gate display screens) does not subtract HKs (confirmed passengers checked in and awaiting seat assignments).
Old Dec 3, 2017, 7:29 am
Original Poster

So is it fair to say that taking the lower of the two data points is the safest way to estimate one’s chances of clearing at gate?

Would these be reasonable interpretations?:
  • Yesterday at T-20 “available”=4 J=2, there aren’t four seats or me to clear into, there are at most 2.
  • Yesterday at T-16 “available”=1 J=2, there is at most one.
  • This morning at T-6 “available =1 J=1, there is only one seat.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.