Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Dropping status/ seat selection question

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 1, 2017, 4:04 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Delta Gold

Quick question, my husband and I are wanting to book a Delta international flight now for a trip in 2018. We can book into preferred seats because of his status (Platinum), but on 1/1/18 his status goes to nothing.

If we buy this trip now and get the preferred seats, would they change our seat assignment because his status changed
Old Dec 1, 2017, 4:08 pm

Originally Posted by channonc
Quick question, my husband and I are wanting to book a Delta international flight now for a trip in 2018. We can book into preferred seats because of his status (Platinum), but on 1/1/18 his status goes to nothing.
If we buy this trip now and get the preferred seats, would they change our seat assignment because his status changed
This question is asked every year. And the answer, as always, is "it depends."

If you do not experience a schedule change or an equipment change, your seat assignments may survive. (I managed to keep a C+ seat for a March flight after a status downgrade this year.)

But do not assume that your seat assignment will stick, and you have no basis for complaining if they do not.

I will also note that current status will not expire until 1/31/2018.
Old Dec 1, 2017, 5:28 pm

Programs: VA-PLT, QF-GLD, DL-GM, UA-ex1K, AA-exPLT, HH-DM, IHG-PLT, MR-GLD
Many posts from people getting kicked out of their seats in this scenario, even when there wasn't a schedule or equipment change. Highly unlikely you will keep your seat assignment if your partner's status goes to zero. If he was dropping to Gold, which is still eligible for seating at a certain window, you might have been OK.

You might even keep it until check-in or the upgrade windows, but at that time there appear to be sweeps that clean out anyone not properly upgraded. When I upgraded and then changed my FF#, I got swept out of my upgrade.

Last edited by CPMaverick; Dec 1, 2017 at 5:39 pm
Old Dec 1, 2017, 6:53 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
There is no harm in trying. But, do understand that if you are booted in a sweep, good seats may not be available and you may wind up in lousy separate seats. All about risk tolerance.
Old Dec 1, 2017, 9:13 pm

Programs: VA-PLT, QF-GLD, DL-GM, UA-ex1K, AA-exPLT, HH-DM, IHG-PLT, MR-GLD
Originally Posted by Often1
There is no harm in trying. But, do understand that if you are booted in a sweep, good seats may not be available and you may wind up in lousy separate seats. All about risk tolerance.
In other words, there is harm in trying. Potentially.
Old Dec 4, 2017, 8:58 am
Original Poster

Programs: Delta Gold
Thanks all for your advice. We opted not to choose preferred seats, but rather the best seats we could that weren't preferred. Hopefully this helps avoid any sweeps.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.