Airlines and Mileage Programs

Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles

Platinum award ticket redeposit fee

Old Nov 30, 17, 1:30 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Delta Platinum Medallion, Hilton Honors Gold

I have been GM many years but will hit PM next week.

If I book an award ticket today for a family member, can I assume that if I change my mind later when I am a PM the fee will be waived, even if I was not a PM at time of booking?

I would assume so given the terms: "The Award Ticket redeposit fee is $150 USD. This fee is waived for Diamond and Platinum Medallion members. Award Tickets not canceled at least 72 hours prior to the originating flight departure time are nonrefundable."
Old Nov 30, 17, 1:45 pm

The waived fee is for PMs at the time of ticket redeposit. (I booked multiple flights as a GM this year and then later re-deposited as a PM, no fees)
Liz_MSP and bgriff like this.
Old Nov 30, 17, 8:16 pm

And the opposite is true too. If you book today as a PM or DM and wish to cancel after 1/31/18 and your 2018 status becomes GM you will have to pay the $150 redeposit fee.
bgriff likes this.
Old Dec 1, 17, 2:08 pm

Not to completely hijack the thread, but there's no fee penalty even if you're booking for someone else?
Old Dec 1, 17, 2:29 pm

Programs: DL PM/1MM, BW DE (lifetime), HH DE, Marriott PE (lifetime GE), National Emerald Executive
Originally Posted by db729 View Post
Not to completely hijack the thread, but there's no fee penalty even if you're booking for someone else?
All that matters is the account the miles come from (and will be redeposited back to), status at the time of cancel or change. That is all. Not whom the ticket is/was for, not the status at the time of booking. Just status of the mileage account used at time of change or cancel.

So if a GM miles are used to book a ticket for PM or DM, upon any slightest change or cancel the redeposit fee will be charged, for example.
bgriff likes this.
Old Dec 1, 17, 10:47 pm

Programs: Delta, United
The basic rule is that what matters is one's status at the time of the action. As said, above it works both ways.

Search this Thread