Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Woman feels profiled after being mistaken for human trafficking victim on Delta

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Woman feels profiled after being mistaken for human trafficking victim on Delta

Search this Thread

Old Nov 29, 2017, 12:21 am

Programs: Delta PlM, 1M
Originally Posted by CommentatusMaximus
Totally agree that CBP officers should have figured this one out in way less than 10 minutes. They are the ones who truly dropped the ball here.
I would strongly suspect that in a matter of seconds the CPB officers knew that the allegation was nonsense. Hard to know though if they were forced to go through a lengthy verification because of "the system".
Old Nov 29, 2017, 2:40 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by Frogbone
When I fly with my SO I ALWAYS have both of our passports. Guess I should prepare myself for something like this.... SMH
It may depend on how you are perceived by others. You can pretty much bet that such "suspicions" being used to hassle people when flying US airlines is directed more so at those who weren't perceived to be of European ethnic background(s) by the "reporting" party/parties and are thought of as "the other".

This DL incident doesn't surprise me one bit, and it's not the first time it's happened when flying DL. This kind of stuff when flying is expected when paranoia is ramped up, stereotyping (and buying into stereotypes) ramped up, and the government and others want an "everyone-may-be-an-informant" society that would have made Erich Honecker proud.

Originally Posted by exwannabe
I would strongly suspect that in a matter of seconds the CPB officers knew that the allegation was nonsense. Hard to know though if they were forced to go through a lengthy verification because of "the system".
It need not be a "lengthy verification". I've seen it take less than 30 seconds often enough.
Old Nov 29, 2017, 5:14 am
pvn
Suspended

Programs: Starbucks Green Card
Originally Posted by readywhenyouare
That would be fine until they run into someone like me. I would hit Delta and the busybody with a defamation lawsuit.
please don't forget to update us with how that turns out
CPMaverick and smc333 like this.
Old Nov 29, 2017, 6:13 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by pvn
please don't forget to update us with how that turns out
By eating up time and money from DL and some of its employees/passengers engaged in racist profiling? That's a win of sorts too, and some may consider it worth their own time/money to try to make sure that those engaged in racist profiling of sorts are made to pay a lawful price of sorts for such prejudicial behavior.
Grog likes this.
Old Nov 29, 2017, 8:19 am

Programs: LH SEN, HH Gold
Originally Posted by gregsfortytwo
Holding passports is a standard mechanism for controlling slaves/indentured workers/whatever term or condition. It prevents free movement and makes them much less likely to go to authorities.

So, somebody on the plane was paying enough attention to see something they thought meant somebody else had her passport. Maybe just passing it to her friend while handling luggage; who knows. That got reported to a flight attendant, who reported it on to the airport authorities as trained,
Holding passports is a standard mechanism used by my wife for controlling me such that I won't lose it.

So, somebody on the plane was a nosey busybody. And the officialdom is more than glad to run with it. Just following orders, they will chant. Like me surrendering my passport to my wife after passing a checkpoint.

While I'm all for "see something, say something", those persons who do report something need held accountable when they get it totally wrong. We don't let pullers of fire alarms off the hook when there's no emergency, now do we?

My two cents.
readywhenyouare likes this.
Old Nov 29, 2017, 8:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by Grog
Holding passports is a standard mechanism used by my wife for controlling me such that I won't lose it.

So, somebody on the plane was a nosey busybody. And the officialdom is more than glad to run with it. Just following orders, they will chant. Like me surrendering my passport to my wife after passing a checkpoint.

While I'm all for "see something, say something", those persons who do report something need held accountable when they get it totally wrong. We don't let pullers of fire alarms off the hook when there's no emergency, now do we?

My two cents.
We do let them off the hook if there's reason to believe there is one. Ie smoke coming out of A.C. vent. Same here, but again it's the officers that wasted time. Just like the responding FF evacuating the building when it's clear that it's just smoke, not fire.
Old Nov 29, 2017, 8:45 am

Programs: HH Gold. (Former) UA PP, DL PM, PC Plat
There is a big push for airline employees to be alert to the signs of human trafficking. These are people who are effectively modern-day slaves and airline employees are often in a position to see the signs that can lead to them being freed.

http://www.afacwa.org/stop_human_trafficking
Old Nov 29, 2017, 9:40 am

Originally Posted by LarryJ
There is a big push for airline employees to be alert to the signs of human trafficking. These are people who are effectively modern-day slaves and airline employees are often in a position to see the signs that can lead to them being freed.

http://www.afacwa.org/stop_human_trafficking
Why am I skeptical of private citizen FAs being, in effect, DHS/ICE agents? I'm already leery of a lot of DHS/ICE agents being DHS/ICE agents.
Old Nov 29, 2017, 9:55 am

Programs: Delta Plat
So now racial profiling includes, trying to protect women.
Old Nov 29, 2017, 10:08 am

Programs: UA, AA, AS, SPG.
Trafficking in Persons is a big issue. I believe Delta did the correct thing in this scenario, but CBP did not properly handle the situation. They should not receive any compensation from Delta.

I'd encourage anyone who wants to learn more about human trafficking issues to read the State Department's annual TIP Reports.

https://www.state.gov/j/tip/rls/tiprpt/2017/index.htm
Old Nov 29, 2017, 10:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by HWGeeks
So now racial profiling includes, trying to protect women.
Well it seemed to be a case of "having to destroy the village in order to save it."
Old Nov 29, 2017, 10:38 am

What happens when some poor girl that has been kidnapped and being trafficked, someone tells an FA, but they and DL do nothing? It comes out that DL could have prevented it...something tells me someone on this board would not be defending Delta as they were just minding their business.
Old Nov 29, 2017, 10:39 am

Originally Posted by uva185
Trafficking in Persons is a big issue. I believe Delta did the correct thing in this scenario, but CBP did not properly handle the situation. They should not receive any compensation from Delta.

I'd encourage anyone who wants to learn more about human trafficking issues to read the State Department's annual TIP Reports.

https://www.state.gov/j/tip/rls/tiprpt/2017/index.htm
I believe Delta believes they did the correct thing. The road to hell is paved with good intentions.

DHS's Blue Campaign invites any and all to receive training and be "a part of the team". Their self-proclaimed victim-centered approach targets persons who fear law enforcement, don't identify themselves as a victim, don't tell a complete story or use rehearsed responses, and identify with their 'holder' or trafficker. This arguably defines lil ol' ME with my wife being the holder.

Most of the key indicators being used by DHS to train their "behavior-identifying deputies" just as equally describe symptoms of autism, bipolar disorder, and depression--symptom which may occur even when receiving treatment.

Human trafficking in any form is horrific. But, as we see time and again, overreach isn't the answer unless you're a fan of the Police State.

Last edited by Grog; Nov 29, 2017 at 10:44 am
Old Nov 29, 2017, 10:42 am

Originally Posted by kop84
What happens when some poor girl that has been kidnapped and being trafficked, someone tells an FA, but they and DL do nothing? It comes out that DL could have prevented it...something tells me someone on this board would not be defending Delta as they were just minding their business.
Do you truly not see the difference in what occurred versus what you're comparing it to?
rickg523 likes this.
Old Nov 29, 2017, 12:59 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta SkySponge ExtraAbsorbent, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by kop84
I believe in minding my own business. I don't go snooping around in the affairs of others. Of course the DL fanboys wouldn't care if DL hound us to our seats and pumped knockout gas in the cabin. All in the name of safety... ��

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.