Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Remember the Cadillac Cimarron - that's what the A350 is...

Remember the Cadillac Cimarron - that's what the A350 is...

Old Nov 27, 17, 11:36 pm
Original Poster

Programs: HHDIA, SPG PLAT, DLDIA
Thumbs down Remember the Cadillac Cimarron - that's what the A350 is...

In the early 1980's GM thought it a good idea to build a Cadillac on a Chevrolet platform, it was called the Cimarron . It was cheap & a joke and it failed miserably. Forward 30 years and you'll find that Delta has decided to replace the Queen of the Skies, the iconic 747 with a plastic & cheap Airbus 350 "With SUITES" in D1 and "Premium Economy" instead of Comfort +. Having just flown in D1 on Thanksgiving day from DTW/ICN, in a middle "Suite" of a new A350 I can tell you first hand that Delta is committing fraud. First and foremost, the two seats in the middle have ZERO VENTILATION. None, nada, etc., etc., etc,. Close your door and you will die of suffocation. With the walls above your head there is no air circulation with the door shut. With the door open, there is minimal air circulation. The window seats all have two air vents. There are ZERO air vents for the middle "suites". The suites also feature the seat control panel on an upward leaning armrest. I have a GE Cafe stove/oven combo with a forward angled control panel and when one stirs a pot on a back burner or reaches for the overhead microwave, the touch screen will turn the oven off. Same with the touch screen seat control in D1 on the A350. It won't turn your oven off but you'll find yourself resting comfortably when all of a sudden the seat begins to move, sometimes crushing your leg against the seat in front of you. Yes, they left a cubby hole for your foot to fall into and your shin will get crushed when the footrest is raised. VERY PAINFUL. Another minor thing about the flight on 11/23 was that the WiFi did not work. HOW IN THE WORLD DOES A MAJOR AIRLINE LAUNCH A MAJOR NEW AIRCRAFT AND THE THING IS BROKEN IN THE FIRST FEW DAYS? The suites are claustrophobic and simply a ruse on the part of Delta. Shame, shame, shame, on them. Fortunately, for me, my return flight today was on a 747. Ohhh, Delta crows about the cathedral ceiling in D1 on the A350 but i can tell you that sitting in the upper deck of a beautiful 747 that it has had cathedral ceilings for at least 50 years. Why Delta is tossing out the greatest passenger plane ever made is a question for the ages. The Delta A350 is a huge disappointment. I won't fly it again.
Old Nov 27, 17, 11:38 pm
was WWads

Programs: DL PM, UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Gold
Pretty much confirms all the bad things that we've heard about the A350s.

Contract customers, please wise up.
Old Nov 27, 17, 11:52 pm

Originally Posted by Fish Creek View Post
Why Delta is tossing out the greatest passenger plane ever made is a question for the ages.
$$$s. Its a business. Therefore its always about the $s. I'm sure there's a cost-benefit analysis of the 4-engine 747 vs. the 2-engine 350 floating around somewhere.

And no shareholder will blame management, until the customers walk out, and with them the $s. Time will tell if the A350 is a bad decision as you say it is....
Old Nov 27, 17, 11:53 pm

Programs: VA-PLT, DL-GM, QF-GLD, UA-ex1K, AA-exPLT, HH-DM, IHG-PLT, MR-GLD
How many people have died so far of suffocation? Hopefully they didn't die with broken shins.

With all due respect this hyperbole is not very helpful... I'm not a big fan of the A350 or Delta's configurations of it just yet (haven't flown it), but a level headed review would be much more useful.

As for the Wifi, I think it is pretty normal actually for new planes and new configurations to have (non-safety related) glitches at the start. That hardly justifies the YELLING.
Old Nov 28, 17, 12:00 am

Programs: DL Diamond 1MM, UX Suma Gold, Marriott Bonvoyô️ Gold, Hilton Gold, Avis Preferred, Hertz PC
Note that most airlines worldwide donít even offer gasper vents above seats on their long haul aircraft - itís a distinctly American thing. I like them too, but even onboard Delta youíll find some aircraft that were built for other airlines and then acquired used donít have vents available. Itís unfortunate, but not the end of the world by any means...
Old Nov 28, 17, 12:00 am

Programs: DL Gold, Marriott
In the early 1980's GM thought it a good idea to build a Cadillac on a Chevrolet platform, it was called the Cimarron . It was cheap & a joke and it failed miserably. Forward 30 years and you'll find that Delta has decided to replace the Queen of the Skies, the iconic 747 with a plastic & cheap Airbus 350 "With SUITES" in D1 and "Premium Economy" instead of Comfort +. Having just flown in D1 on Thanksgiving day from DTW/ICN, in a middle "Suite" of a new A350 I can tell you first hand that Delta is committing fraud. First and foremost, the two seats in the middle have ZERO VENTILATION. None, nada, etc., etc., etc,. Close your door and you will die of suffocation. With the walls above your head there is no air circulation with the door shut. With the door open, there is minimal air circulation. The window seats all have two air vents. There are ZERO air vents for the middle "suites". The suites also feature the seat control panel on an upward leaning armrest. I have a GE Cafe stove/oven combo with a forward angled control panel and when one stirs a pot on a back burner or reaches for the overhead microwave, the touch screen will turn the oven off. Same with the touch screen seat control in D1 on the A350. It won't turn your oven off but you'll find yourself resting comfortably when all of a sudden the seat begins to move, sometimes crushing your leg against the seat in front of you. Yes, they left a cubby hole for your foot to fall into and your shin will get crushed when the footrest is raised. VERY PAINFUL. Another minor thing about the flight on 11/23 was that the WiFi did not work. HOW IN THE WORLD DOES A MAJOR AIRLINE LAUNCH A MAJOR NEW AIRCRAFT AND THE THING IS BROKEN IN THE FIRST FEW DAYS? The suites are claustrophobic and simply a ruse on the part of Delta. Shame, shame, shame, on them. Fortunately, for me, my return flight today was on a 747. Ohhh, Delta crows about the cathedral ceiling in D1 on the A350 but i can tell you that sitting in the upper deck of a beautiful 747 that it has had cathedral ceilings for at least 50 years. Why Delta is tossing out the greatest passenger plane ever made is a question for the ages. The Delta A350 is a huge disappointment. I won't fly it again.
I'm guessing the reason you had such a poor experience is that the A350 was designed for adults and your rant makes it pretty clear that you don't qualify. How could you possibly die of suffocation in a suite with very low walls and no ceiling? You think DL retiring the 747s is a mystery for the ages?? The answer is fairly obvious. The planes have reached the end of their economical lifetime. If you read the 747 thread you will see there have been a large number of 747 diversions lately; the planes are old, expensive to operate and they break down frequently. In case you haven't noticed, every airline is parking their 747-400s. You praise the beautiful 747s for having cathedral ceilings and then you criticize the A350 for having cathedral ceilings
CPMaverick, manacit and jamiestr like this.
Old Nov 28, 17, 12:10 am
Original Poster

So how many flights on the A350 have you taken?

Originally Posted by CPMaverick View Post
How many people have died so far of suffocation? Hopefully they didn't die with broken shins.

With all due respect this hyperbole is not very helpful... I'm not a big fan of the A350 or Delta's configurations of it just yet (haven't flown it), but a level headed review would be much more useful.

As for the Wifi, I think it is pretty normal actually for new planes and new configurations to have (non-safety related) glitches at the start. That hardly justifies the YELLING.
Really? Launch a new product that does not work is normal? I'm simply telling it like it was for me. "Yelling."....hmmm might you yell if you were told the aircraft had state of the art WiFi at the fastest speeds and then all of your plans to work on the plane vanished? Crushed shins? You have NO IDEA. Go back to petting your cats and put some pants on for cripes sake.
Old Nov 28, 17, 12:15 am
Original Poster

Rant?

Originally Posted by kjnangre View Post
I'm guessing the reason you had such a poor experience is that the A350 was designed for adults and your rant makes it pretty clear that you don't qualify. How could you possibly die of suffocation in a suite with very low walls and no ceiling? You think DL retiring the 747s is a mystery for the ages?? The answer is fairly obvious. The planes have reached the end of their economical lifetime. If you read the 747 thread you will see there have been a large number of 747 diversions lately; the planes are old, expensive to operate and they break down frequently. In case you haven't noticed, every airline is parking their 747-400s. You praise the beautiful 747s for having cathedral ceilings and then you criticize the A350 for having cathedral ceilings
Please tell me how many times you have flown on the A350 in D1 on Delta? Unless you have then you have no idea whatsoever how low the walls are, do you? Leave mom & dad's house and get your own place, somewhere out of the basement.
Old Nov 28, 17, 12:18 am

Programs: DL Gold, Marriott
Go back to petting your cats and put some pants on for cripes sake.
Leave mom & dad's house and get your own place, somewhere out of the basement.
What?? This thread is going nowhere.
Old Nov 28, 17, 12:23 am

Indeed. No need to be concerned about the opinion of the OP based on what we've seen so far. No credibility.
BenA and manacit like this.
Old Nov 28, 17, 12:24 am
Original Poster

It means grow up....

Hello, anyone home????
Old Nov 28, 17, 12:28 am
Original Poster

And how many flights on the A350 have you made?

Originally Posted by CPMaverick View Post
Indeed. No need to be concerned about the opinion of the OP based on what we've seen so far. No credibility.
Please, tell us, what is your basis? No credibility? I'm on a 747 ICN/DTW right now. You?
Old Nov 28, 17, 12:31 am
Original Poster

C'mon CP & KJ, how many flights have you taken on the A350? All thunder, no rain.
Old Nov 28, 17, 12:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta SkySponge ExtraAbsorbant, SPG Gold
Keep climbing Delta! Delta's management loves cheap and Airbus fits the bill nicely.
DiverDave likes this.
Old Nov 28, 17, 12:33 am

Experience is not relevant if all the person does is rant, speak in hyperbole, and attack others. Feel free to spout your superiority, I'm not listening any longer because your opinion is worthless to me. You seem to be trolling so I doubt you have even taken that A350 anyway. There will be other, more level-headed people that will review the A350 in due time.

It's too bad, because I did remember the Cimarron and I thought this was going to be an interesting comparison about the A350 being a parts-bin special like that sad Caddy was. Sadly not, just childish ranting.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: