Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Poor Experience D1 ATL-JNB

Search this Thread

Old Nov 27, 2017, 10:51 am

Programs: AA EXP, DL FO, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by ijgordon
Um, well, it sounds to me (and I have no specific inside knowledge) that the "threat" of unionization is having the same impact as actually being unionized. So there goes your debunking of the theory, no?

Out of curiosity, what do you think is the reason DL doesn't seem willing/able to enforce service standards, as you posted earlier?
The threat of unionization is likely a primary reason, but also the simple fact is that DL doesn't feel a need to fight the battle. Not as long as planes are flying full. For some reason, people seem willing to pay thousands for sub-par service, bad food, and outdated cabins.

Last edited by KDCAflyer; Nov 27, 2017 at 11:38 am
Old Nov 27, 2017, 11:01 am

Programs: DL DM/MM , IHG Plat, MR Titanium, HH Gold, EK Frequent Kettle, UA Silver, AA Hater
Sounds like you got my old ATL-DXB crews now that they no longer fly that route.
Old Nov 27, 2017, 11:15 am

Programs: DL PM, Bonvoy Gold
Um, well, it sounds to me (and I have no specific inside knowledge) that the "threat" of unionization is having the same impact as actually being unionized. So there goes your debunking of the theory, no?

Out of curiosity, what do you think is the reason DL doesn't seem willing/able to enforce service standards, as you posted earlier?

Honestly, I don't think it's the fear of unionization. As long as DL keeps handing out cash bonuses in a generous profit sharing scheme, I think they will be fine on that. I could be wrong.

I really think it's that they have not felt the pressure. They are making a lot of money and, in general, their J product gets good reviews. I think the vast majority of people notice & care about lots of things less than the sample that is on FT. I also think most people will choose a particular J class carrier because of the route, the hard product and the price, and that the FA's are fairly far down the list of things that matter to people.

I would also add that every time I have flown J on Delta I've had either a great or at least totally acceptable experience with the crew, but mostly great. I know there have been several reports on FT about this exact issue, and this is not the first, second or third time people have gotten into a discussion about the seniority/age thing. All that being said, I have not personally encountered the issue that others have, which is just another data point. Note that it's not that I don't think there are problems, I just question how widespread the problems actually are.
Old Nov 27, 2017, 12:13 pm

Programs: Delta Diamond Charter Member/1.8MM, IHG Spire Elite
I now prefer the Priority Pass lounges.
Old Nov 27, 2017, 1:18 pm

Originally Posted by DeltaFirst
I now prefer the Priority Pass lounges.

Really? Which ones? PP has no real standards, its just access, so it totally depends on the lounge. At least in Europe and the US they are generally worse IME. For example, the PP lounge at SFO is the AF/KLM lounge and it sort of feels like a bus depot. Both the Sky Club or Centurion lounge at SFO are fantastic. The Aspire lounge at LHR is overly crowded and has a meager food selection while the BA lounges in that terminal are rather nice.

There are certainly other airlines/alliances that have better lounges than the SC, but in general I think the SC is a much better lounge than the third party contract lounges that tend to affiliate with PP.
Old Nov 28, 2017, 5:13 am
Suspended

Programs: Delta Diamond, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, United Silver
Originally Posted by Petercbm
OP -- Your review is spot-on for this route.

Fly this route 4-5 times a year, and exceptions not withstanding -- this flight is crewed (especially up front) by cabin crew with serious seniority, and your experience is par for the course.

As for the food -- Delta has tried hard to dress up the presentation -- but the quality has seriously declined...

If only Delta would take a page out of Qatar service and catering manual, and whine less about unfair competition (ironic as Delta got all kinds of 'benefits' from bankruptcy)

Unfortunately South African is Worse --- And Qatar makes the trip even longer via Doha -- so stuck with Delta.
There's always Virgin Atlantic via London and KLM via Amsterdam.
Old Nov 28, 2017, 5:17 am
Suspended

Programs: Delta Diamond, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, United Silver
Originally Posted by poppabear
Just as an aside, flew JFK-LAX in D1 last month and the lunch was inedible, dry, overcooked, really bad. The FA's were very apologetic and offered to get something from the back, which I declined. The Purser suggested I Write an online complaint, which I did. 28 days later 9,000 miles appeared in my account with no explanation. 10,000 miles seems low in comparison, given the other issues you had. I'd let Delta know the issues have not been resolved to your satisfaction, and propose a solution to your liking. Good luck.
Of course, the pursuer could have compensated you because they have the ability to award miles for in-flight issues through their fancy Delta mobile telephones.
Old Nov 28, 2017, 5:39 am

Originally Posted by apodo77
Flew DTW-ICN and had excellent service.
Flew ATL-ICN home with a proud ATL crew and the service sucked. Night and day difference in the level of service.
That is right. DTW-ICN route had great service.
Old Nov 28, 2017, 1:38 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL, UA
Have had great experiences on Virgin and can always do a bit of work in London. That's probably my preferred route now. Am a big fan of their 787-9 and am a regular on the LAX-LHR route anyway so it is a great option!
Old Dec 12, 2017, 1:39 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL, UA
Quick update-

Flight back from JNB-ATL last week was much better. Service was excellent and much friendlier overall. It's amazing what difference a good crew can make. SLOW Lounge in JNB is also excellent.

Still think I'll try to fly Virgin J (787 LAX-LHR-JNB) when I head back to SA in a few months...
Old Dec 12, 2017, 11:17 pm

Originally Posted by nw6338
Quick update-

Flight back from JNB-ATL last week was much better. Service was excellent and much friendlier overall. It's amazing what difference a good crew can make. SLOW Lounge in JNB is also excellent.

Still think I'll try to fly Virgin J (787 LAX-LHR-JNB) when I head back to SA in a few months...
the VS lounge at LHR is worth it on its own.
Old Dec 13, 2017, 4:06 am
Suspended

Plus, LHR breaks the trip up and even gives you the chance for some sightseeing during a layover in London.

Also, you should earn more MQMs routing through London.
Old Dec 13, 2017, 8:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by hockeyinsider
Plus, LHR breaks the trip up and even gives you the chance for some sightseeing during a layover in London.

Also, you should earn more MQMs routing through London.
Yes, it's quite far out of the way and I'd probably really only recommend it if you're stopping over. A bunch of years ago we did JFK-LHR-CPT with a 1-night stop in LHR, but did straight through on the return, both daytime flights. It was a loooong travel day. Even in BA/AA first class.
Old Dec 13, 2017, 11:53 am
Suspended

Yes, it's quite far out of the way and I'd probably really only recommend it if you're stopping over. A bunch of years ago we did JFK-LHR-CPT with a 1-night stop in LHR, but did straight through on the return, both daytime flights. It was a loooong travel day. Even in BA/AA first class.
If the airfare was cheaper, I'd totally do business-class through LHR than Delta through ATL.
Old Dec 13, 2017, 12:36 pm

Programs: AA Platinum, Hilton, Hyatt, IHG, Marriott
Originally Posted by hockeyinsider
If the airfare was cheaper, I'd totally do business-class through LHR than Delta through ATL.
If I'm not spending time in London, I'll pay extra to avoid connecting in LHR
BenA and pvn like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.