Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Is WestJet about to go exclusive with Delta?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Is WestJet about to go exclusive with Delta?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 9, 2017, 2:55 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, Mileage Plus, WestJet Gold, AMEX Plat
Originally Posted by BusTrav8yrs
They are an LLC and operate as one. The 2 (and last I ever will) experiences I had with them resulted in an IRROP and was handled EXTREMELY poorly.
That depends on your definition of LLC.

They currently use contracted business lounges in Vancouver, Toronto, Calgary, Edmonton, Winnipeg, Montreal and Quebec city. Outside of the country they use a contract lounge in London-Gatwick and in Jamaica. However the are working on building out their own lounges in Vancouver, Calgary and Toronto. Each airport gets one in Domestic, US-Trans-boarder and International.

The 767 fleet is fairly limited in size but equipped with business class seats similar to domestic business on Air Canada and what the US airlines call First. The 737 fleet have something similar to a Euro-business class setup. The 787 on order are expect to have lie-flat international business class.

They code-share with a host of international airlines including Air France, Cathay Pacific, Delta, KLM, Korean, Qantas, Aeromexico, China Eastern, Emirites, Japan Airlines, LATAM, and Philippine. They interline with a host more.

They generally fly into the major main-steam airports in each city. London is the one exception.

They have a subsidiary for doing regional flying on the Q400 and just signed a capacity purchase agreement for the 35 seaters.

The fare stricture is very similar to Air Canada.

The loyalty program is crap.

Honestly, they are more like Alaska that anything else.
Old Dec 9, 2017, 3:49 pm

Programs: DL PM, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by Fiordland
They generally fly into the major main-steam airports in each city. London is the one exception.
Canadian cities don't have secondary airports. Ok, technically Toronto does, but it's very limited and only allows prop planes (WS doesn't own any prop planes)
Old Dec 9, 2017, 6:27 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, Mileage Plus, WestJet Gold, AMEX Plat
Originally Posted by kjnangre
Canadian cities don't have secondary airports. Ok, technically Toronto does, but it's very limited and only allows prop planes (WS doesn't own any prop planes)
The LCC have tried to use Hamilton in place of Toronto and Abbotsford in place of Vancouver. Generally they fail with this strategy as both of these are quite far away from the main city centre in the region. WestJet in its very early days tried to use Hamilton as its central Canada hub. It eventually moved to Pearson.

WestJet is flying into a second airport in Phoenix (Mesa) to try to kill off some of the LCC, however its mail flights are into Sky-harbor. I would not expect the Mesa flights to last.

WestJet owned around 40 Q400 aircraft that operate as WestJet Encore to feed its hubs. It just signed an agreement with Pacific Coastal Airlines to operate the Saab 340 to provide feed into the Calgary hub.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.