FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta-air-lines-skymiles-665/)
-   -   One Paid/One Miles Question (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta-air-lines-skymiles/1878908-one-paid-one-miles-question.html)

vincentharris Nov 22, 17 8:07 am

One Paid/One Miles Question

If I am paying for my flight, and my wife is using miles to fly is there a way to get us both on the same PNR or merged one so she can get my PM benefits (C+ at booking, FC upgrade, etc.)?

jdrtravel Nov 22, 17 8:20 am

Originally Posted by vincentharris (Post 29089213)
If I am paying for my flight, and my wife is using miles to fly is there a way to get us both on the same PNR or merged one so she can get my PM benefits (C+ at booking, FC upgrade, etc.)?

You cannot be on the same PNR, and according to the latest rules (when they changed the upgrade process about a year ago) you can't add companions to the upgrade list who are not on your PNR--very frustrating.

However, I can report that on one occasion I did have success with this when I called in and simply asked to have a travel companion added as my companion for upgrade. This was back in March I think. We were not on the same PNR, and we were both upgraded at the gate. So, what this tells me is that, at least back in March, agents had the ability to do this even if they were not supposed to.

vincentharris Nov 22, 17 8:22 am

Originally Posted by jdrtravel (Post 29089254)
You cannot be on the same PNR, and according to the latest rules (when they changed the upgrade process about a year ago) you can't add companions to the upgrade list who are not on your PNR--very frustrating.

However, I can report that on one occasion I did have success with this when I called in and simply asked to have a travel companion added as my companion for upgrade. This was back in March I think. We were not on the same PNR, and we were both upgraded at the gate. So, what this tells me is that, at least back in March, agents had the ability to do this even if they were not supposed to.

Thanks so basically its an all or nothing? (we both need to use miles or we both need to pay cash)

Mr. Tickets Nov 22, 17 8:31 am

Originally Posted by vincentharris (Post 29089263)
Thanks so basically its an all or nothing? (we both need to use miles or we both need to pay cash)

Yes

indufan Nov 22, 17 9:12 am

Originally Posted by vincentharris (Post 29089263)

No, if you have DL AMEX, you can do partial paid with miles for each....effectively paying for one and not the other. And I just did this since I am chasing segments. I paid for both tixs all with miles but you could pick half. Granted the girlfriend has 2 MQS and no miles now but whatever. :)

MSPeconomist Nov 22, 17 9:29 am

Originally Posted by indufan (Post 29089448)
No, if you have DL AMEX, you can do partial paid with miles for each....effectively paying for one and not the other. And I just did this since I am chasing segments. I paid for both tixs all with miles but you could pick half. Granted the girlfriend has 2 MQS and no miles now but whatever. :)

Be careful with this. Often when one is paid but the companion uses an award ticket, it's because the first passenger needs the MQMs/MQSs/MQDs for status. Be sure to check the rules carefully for tickets that are partially paid with miles.

indufan Nov 22, 17 9:44 am

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist (Post 29089510)
Be careful with this. Often when one is paid but the companion uses an award ticket, it's because the first passenger needs the MQMs/MQSs/MQDs for status. Be sure to check the rules carefully for tickets that are partially paid with miles.

I don't know what there is to be careful with. Paid with miles get MQS even if it is fully paid with miles. The companion thing only complicates it because I can't use the certificate.

blitzcon Nov 22, 17 12:38 pm

I've had some success with companions on a different PNR. My advice is to call reservations and ask for the two to be "linked"* and if they can add the companion to the upgrade lists.

I've managed to get a non-status companion upgraded to First on a separate PNR for:
LGA-MSN: wife and I both cleared at the gate
MSN-LGA: work buddy cleared 24 hours out
DTW-YUL: wife and I both cleared into C+ at the gate (NOT on the C+ list - upgrades showed as RU)
YUL-MSP: I cleared at Gold window, wife cleared at the gate. She was on an award ticket - YMMV.

Technically, C+ upgrades are NOT available for a separate PNR but it has happened and it doesn't hurt to ask. Good luck!

*It's not really linked in a database sense. It's that they put comments in each record to let other agents know you are traveling together. So 1970s...

Saribo Nov 22, 17 12:55 pm

I thought it was very strange, but I was told repeatedly that they could add my travel companion who was on a separate ticket to the upgrade list for first but not Comfort+. Not sure what kind of sense that makes. Had to ask the gate agent nicely to finally get us together in C+ - delta phone reps wouldn't do it and I tried multiple times...

jdrtravel Nov 22, 17 1:48 pm

Originally Posted by blitzcon (Post 29090232)
I've had some success with companions on a different PNR. My advice is to call reservations and ask for the two to be "linked"* and if they can add the companion to the upgrade lists.

I've managed to get a non-status companion upgraded to First on a separate PNR for:
LGA-MSN: wife and I both cleared at the gate
MSN-LGA: work buddy cleared 24 hours out
DTW-YUL: wife and I both cleared into C+ at the gate (NOT on the C+ list - upgrades showed as RU)
YUL-MSP: I cleared at Gold window, wife cleared at the gate. She was on an award ticket - YMMV.

Technically, C+ upgrades are NOT available for a separate PNR but it has happened and it doesn't hurt to ask. Good luck!

*It's not really linked in a database sense. It's that they put comments in each record to let other agents know you are traveling together. So 1970s...

I have also had this happen, as I shared above. But curious: When did these happen? Until they changed the policy ( I think spring 2016), it was 100% permitted to add companions from other PNR's for upgrade. It was when they changed the upgrade priority, so that companions get the higher level of 2 pax status, that they changed the rule.

CarmenOM Nov 22, 17 3:41 pm

You can still add companions on a different PNR but they don’t share your upgrade priority. They are upgraded according to their own status (so no point to listing them as companion); if no status they have the lowest upgrade priority, but can theoretically get a companion upgrade. Maybe they’re above elites from other ST airlines?

https://www.delta.com/content/www/en...html#companion

blitzcon Nov 22, 17 3:48 pm

Originally Posted by jdrtravel (Post 29090490)
I have also had this happen, as I shared above. But curious: When did these happen? Until they changed the policy ( I think spring 2016), it was 100% permitted to add companions from other PNR's for upgrade. It was when they changed the upgrade priority, so that companions get the higher level of 2 pax status, that they changed the rule.

MSN-LGA was June 2016. The YUL (Montreal) ones were August this year. The policy is spelled out on their web page for same reservation / separate:

jdrtravel Nov 22, 17 4:19 pm

Originally Posted by blitzcon (Post 29090874)
MSN-LGA was June 2016. The YUL (Montreal) ones were August this year. The policy is spelled out on their web page for same reservation / separate:

Yes, as I stated twice, I am aware of the policy as it is currently written. The policy was different prior to May 2016, so I was just curious if you flew before or after that so that I could understand if you, like me, had been able to find a work around to the policy.