Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

DL to Offer Delta One Service ATL to HNL?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

DL to Offer Delta One Service ATL to HNL?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 10, 2018, 8:44 am
Suspended

Programs: Delta Diamond, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, United Silver
Originally Posted by chrisj85
Well, from reading this review and other previous comments, ATL-HNL went from "D1 lite" on the 330-300 to actual D1 on the 767-400 starting in April, but domestic D1 was seemingly downgraded around the same time to something that appears to be below or at best no better than what "D1 lite" was previously. Also the 764 is now scheduled even during the Christmas holidays - a few months ago there were some weeks then that switched back to the 330.

At least the D1 fares have come down - even for December dates I'm seeing $2400 which is less than they started out asking when they first went to D1.

As an aside, the meals in Y on this route have been seriously downgraded since the special ATL-HNL menus were done away with. At this point I would rather they just go back to buy on board but cater enough food to meet the demand on this flight - what they are serving now is pretty bad. Some of those buy on board options were decent.
On almost all routes the food since April has gotten bad to the point where, regardless of class of service, you're better off eating from the buffet at the Sky Club or having a meal in an airport restaurant. The only exception seems to be the handful of international routes with pre-ordering.
Old Jul 10, 2018, 9:46 am
Suspended

Programs: DL Diamond, AAdvantage EXP, Hyatt Explorist, HHonors Diamond, Avis First
Just FYI you can skip ATL and ride a 777 via DFW on AA to HNL/OGG most of the year and even lie flat 767 from DFW-KOA/LIH at peak times and still have a proper multi course meal service. I also find the AA crews tend to be happy on these flights and I do this multiple times a year.

theres also now a 787 in winter from ORD-HNL
Old Jul 10, 2018, 10:03 am
Suspended

Programs: Delta Diamond, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, United Silver
Originally Posted by AANYC1981
Just FYI you can skip ATL and ride a 777 via DFW on AA to HNL/OGG most of the year and even lie flat 767 from DFW-KOA/LIH at peak times and still have a proper multi course meal service. I also find the AA crews tend to be happy on these flights and I do this multiple times a year.

theres also now a 787 in winter from ORD-HNL
The question is which makes more sense for a Delta customer switching programs: American or United? United seems to be trying whereas American seems to be cutting back.
Old Jul 10, 2018, 11:02 am

Programs: DL PM/1MM, BW DE (lifetime), HH DE, Marriott PE (lifetime), National Emerald Executive
Originally Posted by flyerCO
I just don't get the downgrading of meals on ATL/MSP-HNL. The flights are and have always been full with paid F passengers. It's not like even a quarter of the cabin was upgrades. There's times you can't pay for an F seat a month out. However now that it's D1 (which minus lounge access it basically was before) they've cheaped out. It's sad I'm finding AA and UA meals to be better. It seems they're ignoring what their customers who spend $$$ want. They've kept 777s at 9 across in coach, so I guess that's something.
+1

The food on DL has always been the worst of any major airline and continues to be that way. That is just sadly what DL is like. Always cutting costs and with little regard for passenger experience or its competitive positioning.

AA and UA are far from perfect, but at least have more and better tasting, more interesting, food options in the J to/from HNL (EWR, IAD, ORD comparable 767 or 777 flights). (Though UA does tend to run out of snacks on its IAD-HNL flights quite quickly, so if you want a bag of chips, it's strictly rationed at one per passenger, and whatever you're going want you'd better grab it quick and squirrel away for later.) Until last year DL had the better hard product advantage vs. AA so it could easier get away with an inferior food offering, but now that is no more as AA has brought its ancient 767 and 777 aircraft finally up to par.
Old Jul 10, 2018, 11:06 am

Programs: DL PM/1MM, BW DE (lifetime), HH DE, Marriott PE (lifetime), National Emerald Executive
Originally Posted by hockeyinsider
The question is which makes more sense for a Delta customer switching programs: American or United? United seems to be trying whereas American seems to be cutting back.
You're precisely right. Definitely United. UA tries really hard, and UA treats its no-status customers better than DL does its DMs. Enough said.
Old Jul 10, 2018, 11:10 am
pvn
Suspended

Programs: Starbucks Green Card
Originally Posted by RealHJ
You're precisely right. Definitely United. UA tries really hard, and UA treats its no-status customers better than DL does its DMs. Enough said.
Old Aug 3, 2018, 12:34 am

Trip Report

I must admit I was quite disappointed with the D1 service ATL-HNL. In march of 2017 I took this same flight and I was thoroughly impressed, and at the time it was just labeled First Class. So in July of 2017 I went ahead and booked 4 more First Class under the impression it would be the A330 which I thought was extremely comfortable up front.

So months go by and I check from time to time to ensure my seats haven’t been reassigned and sure enough I think in February 2018 the equipment changed to a 764. I had been on this aircraft type in the past and I immediately knew what I was in for. I was not happy. BTW, my travel dates were May 30th to HNL and I returned to ATL on June 10th.

It was a nice surprise that the flight to HNL was miraculously switched to a 772LR. I was actually excited for the flight. My kids were also excited since they had never flown on a 777. Anyways, we board the flight and the attentive FA immediately asked if we wanted the standard pre-flight drink offering. I said I'll have a Mai Tai. That's where everything went downhill. He responded no Mai Tai's. I’m thinking no Mai Tai’s on flights to Hawaii?? He did bring me a Jack and Coke instead but I don't think he was supposed to. He kind of looked puzzled when I didn't want any of the premade offerings he already had with him. About 90 minutes later were in the air and I'm prepared for a D1 meal that looks like something advertised on Delta.com. Instead a crappy fillet medallion. Basically I got the same meal that you get when flying say ATL-DEN. My disappointment continues. Then came the dessert cart, I was expecting a full blown sundae, instead just a couple small scoops of chocolate ice cream that I passed on and I chose the same cheese plate that I had when I flew back to ATL from Vegas. As far as the last meal before landing in HNL, I don't remember it was forgettable. I just don't understand why it's called D1 when it's clearly not.

As for my return trip home on the dinosaur 764. It was bad from the start. My seat was pretty much worn out. I think I slept for maybe 20 minutes. I was just to uncomfortable. The touch screen on the IFE was sketchy as well as the remote. And of course no Mai Tai's. As for the dinner, same tired ... fillet medallion. I remember on my flight home in 2017 I had macadamia nut crusted Mahi-mahi which was awesome. 2018 was just nothing but disappointment all around. The breakfast service was also forgettable.

In the years to come I will never buy D1/FC to HNL or OGG ever again!! Unless I hear of significant changes to the D1 product offering I will just purchase economy plus. I really feel like Delta got over on me and my family and I let that be known in the post flight surveys. Of course I never heard back.

Last edited by JBM460; Aug 3, 2018 at 12:38 am Reason: typo
Old Aug 3, 2018, 1:08 am
Suspended

Programs: DL Diamond, AAdvantage EXP, Hyatt Explorist, HHonors Diamond, Avis First
Fly AA....they actually do a good job on these long haul Hawaii routes with great seats/planes.

IMO DL has totally trashed their domestic FC product to account for upgrades in other areas.
JBM460 likes this.
Old Aug 3, 2018, 5:18 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by JBM460
In the years to come I will never buy D1/FC to HNL or OGG ever again!! Unless I hear of significant changes to the D1 product offering I will just purchase economy plus. I really feel like Delta got over on me and my family and I let that be known in the post flight surveys. Of course I never heard back.
Actually, you could say this about a lot of routes right now.
JBM460 likes this.
Old Aug 3, 2018, 5:19 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by AANYC1981
Fly AA....they actually do a good job on these long haul Hawaii routes with great seats/planes.

IMO DL has totally trashed their domestic FC product to account for upgrades in other areas.
It isn't as much about complimentary upgrades as it is Delta figured out it could slash catering and beverages and folks would still pay because either they didn't know better or they value the legroom and comfort of up-front over steerage.
Old Aug 3, 2018, 4:35 pm

Programs: NW gold
As a data point, just flew DL 837 7/29/18 on 764 in D1. Have flown 3-4 times yearly on A330 in 1st for past decade.

Found the service to be on par with prior flight on A330. Predeparture drinks offered - water, mimosa or sparkling wine (or whatever you asked for). Menu about same as in past except desert was better - three entree choices (filet, chicken dish, lemon pasta dish that was actually very good) and two choices for desert (full sundae made by FA with choices of toppings vs cheese plate). Pre-arrival meal - choice of orzo salad with grilled chicken or warm Reuben sandwich.

FAs (atl based) were attentive throughout. No issues with service.

Biggest change was the aircraft and lounge access. Some dislike the 764 but it was fine for two of us. Both of us slept 4-5 hours. Found the seats old but comfortable. Entertainment screen clearly better on A330 but adequate.

Overall, flight seemed very similar to prior Atl-hnl flights we’ve been on over past several years in 1st. Will continue to choose this route but may try AA as well as they now have 777s with lie flat product going to KOA and OGG nonstop from DFW.

FYI looking at Schedules, both atl/msp-hnl switch back to A330 this Nov/dec and winter 2019. 777 scheduled on ATL route on many dates in Dec 2018.

Old Aug 4, 2018, 12:04 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by DTWpistons
777 scheduled on ATL route on many dates in Dec 2018.
I presume that's the old 777 and not one a renovated one with the new Delta suite-style seats.
Old Aug 6, 2018, 2:56 pm
Used to be " vincentppetty "

Programs: DL Platinum/1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott Titanium; Loews Platinum; GHA/Omni Platinum; Hilton Gold
Question

Originally Posted by DTWpistons
As a data point, just flew DL 837 7/29/18 on 764 in D1. Have flown 3-4 times yearly on A330 in 1st for past decade.

Found the service to be on par with prior flight on A330. Predeparture drinks offered - water, mimosa or sparkling wine (or whatever you asked for). Menu about same as in past except desert was better - three entree choices (filet, chicken dish, lemon pasta dish that was actually very good) and two choices for desert (full sundae made by FA with choices of toppings vs cheese plate). Pre-arrival meal - choice of orzo salad with grilled chicken or warm Reuben sandwich.

FAs (atl based) were attentive throughout. No issues with service.

Biggest change was the aircraft and lounge access. Some dislike the 764 but it was fine for two of us. Both of us slept 4-5 hours. Found the seats old but comfortable. Entertainment screen clearly better on A330 but adequate.

Overall, flight seemed very similar to prior Atl-hnl flights we’ve been on over past several years in 1st. Will continue to choose this route but may try AA as well as they now have 777s with lie flat product going to KOA and OGG nonstop from DFW.

FYI looking at Schedules, both atl/msp-hnl switch back to A330 this Nov/dec and winter 2019. 777 scheduled on ATL route on many dates in Dec 2018.

How was the WiFi on the 764 just last week on 7/29/18? Flying this route on 8/31/18 - have always taken this as the A330 in the past.
Old Jul 4, 2019, 1:51 pm
Moderator, Delta Skymiles and Mileage Run

Programs: DL Diamond/MM, Hyatt Diamond, former AS MVPG 75K, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Gold
Any recent updates on the F service and food on this flight?
Old Jul 4, 2019, 4:50 pm

Programs: Dividend Miles, WorldPerks
Originally Posted by ryandc99
Any recent updates on the F service and food on this flight?
i just flew DTW-HNL (which has the same menu). Had a decent steak and second meal. Single tray service. IFE only worked 2/3rds of the flight on the 764.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.