Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Big news: Medallion upgrades soon available for all domestic Delta One flights

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Big news: Medallion upgrades soon available for all domestic Delta One flights

Search this Thread

Old Nov 20, 2017, 11:58 pm

Programs: DL DM, UA, AA EXP, AS MVP75K GOLD, HHonors Diamond, BW Diamond, SPG Gold, Hyatt Diamond
We plan to see if some more international routes which are losing their D1 seating configuration will now be eligible for Complimentary Uogrades...
Old Nov 21, 2017, 6:05 am
In memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DM life is over 2MM PM now & NW MillionAir Wyndham Rewards Plat -Hotels.com Silver -Accor Silver
Originally Posted by laptoptravel
Of course they will. That policy for a Medallion's +1 as well as these recent changes are designed to keep the carrot positioned to encourage Medallions to spend up to maintain Diamond Medallion status.

For much of these changes are focused on the top elites.

Since the D1 upgrades will be Day of Departure (DOD) Delta is not leaving much meat on the bone on these routes.

Still it's better than slamming the door shut on all elites.
Good for Medallions (I hate the term Elites), but bad for off duty employees. I'd luv to read all the chatter about this on an employee website!
jdrtravel likes this.
Old Nov 21, 2017, 6:11 am
Suspended

Programs: Delta Diamond, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, United Silver
Originally Posted by Widgets
NRT-SPN/GUM/ROR complimentary upgrades are coming on December 4.
Source?
Old Nov 21, 2017, 6:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, Marriott LT Titanium, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Nice that is being added since these are on standard domestic F equip and is a waste of an upgrade cert unless the long tpac leg cleared... but not much of a benefit now, since DL is dropping NRT-GUM. So its really only NRT-SPN/ROR... and the ROR flight is only 2x weekly.
Old Nov 21, 2017, 6:38 am
Suspended

Programs: Delta Diamond, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, United Silver
Originally Posted by rylan
Nice that is being added since these are on standard domestic F equip and is a waste of an upgrade cert unless the long tpac leg cleared... but not much of a benefit now, since DL is dropping NRT-GUM. So its really only NRT-SPN/ROR... and the ROR flight is only 2x weekly.
What is the source of this? I thought the Delta.com language on the new policy specifically excluded the island flights. Manila should be included because it isn't Delta One service. Singapore is a slimmed down version of Delta One.
Old Nov 21, 2017, 6:43 am

Programs: DL DM 1.929MM, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, IHG Platinum, Avis CHM, Marriott Titanium (lifetime gold)
Originally Posted by hockeyinsider
Source?
When the source is Widgets, you can take it to the bank. ^ ^ ^
Old Nov 21, 2017, 7:33 am

Programs: Delta SkyMiles KM, Sky Club/Priority Pass, SPG Gold, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by hockeyinsider
What is the source of this? I thought the Delta.com language on the new policy specifically excluded the island flights. Manila should be included because it isn't Delta One service. Singapore is a slimmed down version of Delta One.
It was announced internally a few days ago.
DiverDave likes this.
Old Nov 21, 2017, 8:14 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by Fly_Delta_Jets
It was announced internally a few days ago.
Well, let's hope there is public confirmation of the policy because the new policy specifically excludes complimentary upgrades on these routes.

This is long overdue. I know many platinum and diamond passengers on Guam and Saipan that never get upgrades and can't use regional upgrade certificates because these routes were classified as international, despite the hard and soft products being equivelent to domestic first-class.

For what it's worth, paid first-class/business-class (whatever it's being called now) between Tokyo-NRT and the islands can be as low as $600. Of course, you have to originate in Tokyo-NRT. Still, the cheap deals to Asia of late means someone could fly to Tokyo, base themselves there for a while and rack up a lot of MQMs flying Tokyo-NRT to Guam, Saipan and Palau.
Old Nov 21, 2017, 8:28 am

How does that square with:

Starting April 1, 2018:

Medallion Members will continue to be eligible for and rewarded with Complimentary Upgrades, to First Classand to Delta Comfort+ – anywhere the products are sold, with just one exception. Complimentary Upgrades to First Class are not available on:
  • Non-stop flights between NRT (Tokyo-Narita) and ROR (Palau-Koror), GUM (Guam) and SPN (Saipan)
Old Nov 21, 2017, 8:39 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by OHDL1
How does that square with:

Starting April 1, 2018:

Medallion Members will continue to be eligible for and rewarded with Complimentary Upgrades, to https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/"https://www.delta.com/content/www/en_US/traveling-with-us/onboard-experience/first-class.html""]First Class[/url]and to https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/"https://www.delta.com/content/www/en_US/traveling-with-us/onboard-experience/delta-comfort-plus.html""]Delta Comfort+[/url] – anywhere the products are sold, with just one exception. Complimentary Upgrades to First Class are not available on:
  • Non-stop flights between NRT (Tokyo-Narita) and ROR (Palau-Koror), GUM (Guam) and SPN (Saipan)
And maybe it's an oversight, but Delta had said it was pulling out of Guam in January. So why include Guam in the terms and conditions for flights after April?
Old Nov 21, 2017, 12:30 pm

Programs: DL DM
Am I the only one who initially read that as NRT-SIN and got super excited?
Old Nov 21, 2017, 9:52 pm

Programs: Delta 1 Million Miler, Delta DM, Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz President's Circle
Originally Posted by bsagator
Am I the only one who initially read that as NRT-SIN and got super excited?
I would be ecstatic about NRT-SIN as well, though I never expected it as that to me is classified as an international Delta One flight. Yes, you can say the service is slimmed down, etc. but it operates fully outside of the U.S. and does have lie-flat seats.

I’m waiting for clarification on the SPN/GUM/ROR routes since they, as others have noted, operate with domestic F style aircraft and service. These would seem to fit under the category of “worldwide first class” being eligible for complimentary upgrades, even though Delta then went on to except them in the policy.

Something seems amiss and the new policy wording contradicts itself in different parts. Will have to see how they sort this confusion out.
Old Nov 22, 2017, 5:15 am
Suspended

Programs: Blogger & Delta Diamond Medallion Million Miler
possibly from DeltaNET

Old Nov 22, 2017, 5:47 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by Renes Points
The "worldwide" verbiage matches the P.R. spin, but there's no asterisk exempting intra-Asia to the islands (and Manila, which is not Delta One service). With Iceland off the list, how many actual markets with domestic-configured aircraft are there besides Mexico, the Caribbean or Central America that are not presently complimentary upgrade?

As others have said, if Delta is now allowing theoretical upgrades into Delta One business-class on domestic routes then it could certainly theoretically offer them for international routes -- it's not like they would happen that much, especially with the smaller business-class cabin on the new A350.

What's potentially concerning is that Delta could downgrade service to several other tourist-heavy destinations, as with Iceland, by flying domestic-configured aircraft and calling it "premium-economy." New York-J.F.K. to Glasgow, Edinburgh and Dublin could be done by a domestic-configured 757. Oslo and Copenhagen as well. Didn't Delta pull out Stockholm?
Old Nov 22, 2017, 7:44 am

Programs: DL GM
Here's to hoping that they give this new policy a trial run for the holidays.

BOS-SFO (757) today.

Ok, zero chance, but I can hope can't I? Even less chance of an op-up. There are 45 seats in Y.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.