Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Big news: Medallion upgrades soon available for all domestic Delta One flights

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Big news: Medallion upgrades soon available for all domestic Delta One flights

Search this Thread

Old Nov 22, 2017, 9:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, Marriott LT Titanium, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Good opportunity for an FCM buy-up?
yaychemistry and hi55us like this.
Old Nov 22, 2017, 9:23 am

Programs: DL DM
Originally Posted by yaychemistry
Here's to hoping that they give this new policy a trial run for the holidays.

BOS-SFO (757) today.

Ok, zero chance, but I can hope can't I? Even less chance of an op-up. There are 45 seats in Y.

You can hope. It happened to me last week...I got a comp upgrade to D1. When I checked in, I somehow appeared on the D1 Upgrade list (but wasn't using an instrument or miles). The glitch stuck, and I did in fact get the D1 upgrade at boarding.
Old Nov 22, 2017, 9:38 am
Suspended

Programs: Delta Diamond, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, United Silver
Here's to hoping that they give this new policy a trial run for the holidays.

BOS-SFO (757) today.

Ok, zero chance, but I can hope can't I? Even less chance of an op-up. There are 45 seats in Y.
Why not ask the check-in desk agent, the Sky Club agent and gatehouse agent? All they can say is 'no'
yaychemistry likes this.
Old Nov 22, 2017, 9:40 am

Programs: Delta 1 Million Miler, Delta DM, Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz President's Circle
Originally Posted by hockeyinsider
Why not ask the check-in desk agent, the Sky Club agent and gatehouse agent? All they can say is 'no'
Love this idea. Like keeping asking different parents or relatives until someone says yes.
Old Nov 22, 2017, 10:07 am

Programs: DL GM
Originally Posted by rylan
Good opportunity for an FCM buy-up?
Offered (and refused) for $850, o/w.
Old Nov 22, 2017, 10:08 am

Programs: DL DM, SPG Plat 100/LT Gold, Marriott Plat, National Executive Elite
Originally Posted by DLDiamond2013
Love this idea. Like keeping asking different parents or relatives until someone says yes.
I replied to a Westin Guest Experience email to see if the Presidential Suite would be available as an upgrade (explicitly offered to pay a little more) for a 1 night stay on Thanksgiving.

Obvi Prez Suites are excluded as comp UGs to Plats. Got a reply that I was now in that room for the night, no additional charge.

Never hurts to ask (nicely) - especially during a holiday week! You miss 100% of the shots you don't take.
yaychemistry likes this.
Old Nov 22, 2017, 3:01 pm

Programs: DL PM, Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by btonkid12345
I replied to a Westin Guest Experience email to see if the Presidential Suite would be available as an upgrade (explicitly offered to pay a little more) for a 1 night stay on Thanksgiving.

Obvi Prez Suites are excluded as comp UGs to Plats. Got a reply that I was now in that room for the night, no additional charge.

Never hurts to ask (nicely) - especially during a holiday week! You miss 100% of the shots you don't take.

Absolutely true. I've gotten so much just from politely, and in a non-entitled way, asking for it. What ruins it are people that read forums like this, and then go demanding things they've read about, assuming that asking means they will get what they want. Very important to always ask with a real attitude of being 100% fine with the answer being "no."
yaychemistry likes this.
Old Nov 22, 2017, 4:46 pm

Originally Posted by jdrtravel
Absolutely true. I've gotten so much just from politely, and in a non-entitled way, asking for it. What ruins it are people that read forums like this, and then go demanding things they've read about, assuming that asking means they will get what they want. Very important to always ask with a real attitude of being 100% fine with the answer being "no."
Yes. And the best part of this approach is - if you set your expectations to what you had already confirmed/purchased initially - you can only be pleasantly surprised/delighted - and it makes it near impossible to be disappointed!

[I asked a KLM gate agent once if she could kindly clear my companion using a GUC - I was already in paid J - to the last seat in D1 for AMS (DL metal), if she had time. I apologized for interrupting the boarding procedure and asking so late. She took my companion's BP, spat out a new one for 3C, and didn't ask for any GUC details. She just seriously said not to ask anyone in the cabin to change seats to accommodate me and companion sitting together - which we happily obliged. The people you refer to, JDR, who act entitled and demand things, would have likely started musical chairs upon boarding to try and sit together!]
yaychemistry and jdrtravel like this.
Old Nov 24, 2017, 4:38 pm

Programs: DL GM
Originally Posted by jdrtravel
Yes. And the best part of this approach is - if you set your expectations to what you had already confirmed/purchased initially - you can only be pleasantly surprised/delighted - and it makes it near impossible to be disappointed!

[I asked a KLM gate agent once if she could kindly clear my companion using a GUC - I was already in paid J - to the last seat in D1 for AMS (DL metal), if she had time. I apologized for interrupting the boarding procedure and asking so late. She took my companion's BP, spat out a new one for 3C, and didn't ask for any GUC details. She just seriously said not to ask anyone in the cabin to change seats to accommodate me and companion sitting together - which we happily obliged. The people you refer to, JDR, who act entitled and demand things, would have likely started musical chairs upon boarding to try and sit together!]
Yup. I asked at the SC, and they said I wasn't eligible (totally expected). I thought about asking at the gate, but there was a big crowd at the counter and there the standby list was 50+ deep. I think everyone cleared, and a few even cleared right into Delta One. In the end we departed with 5 open seats in D1.

No big deal. My C+ seat was perfectly fine - plus while we were delayed while waiting for the final paperwork to arrive the first officer gave me one of the 757 trading cards .
Old Nov 24, 2017, 8:14 pm

Offered (and refused) for $850, o/w.
Delta routinely sells D1 on this route for $599 and so does everyone else. Seems like there would be a lot of free upgrades here once this upgrades become available. It's amazing to me they offer it for $850, lol
Old Nov 26, 2017, 9:20 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by davetravels
Good for Medallions (I hate the term Elites), but bad for off duty employees. I'd luv to read all the chatter about this on an employee website!
This is my reaction too.....basically DL is saying that they'll give elites domestic D1 upgrades at the gate before seating nonrevs in D1, assuming that the GAs follow policy.

BTW, I tend to use the word elites as a PMNW holdover, plus I always have to stop and think how to spell medallion.

ADDED. I'm not some medal that the king of the north wears around his neck. That's what I think of when I see the word medallion, especially during winter.

Last edited by MSPeconomist; Nov 26, 2017 at 9:27 am
Old Dec 22, 2017, 9:37 pm

Programs: DL DM, MAR gold
Originally Posted by hockeyinsider
Flew SFO-JFK a couple of days ago. Morning of flight there were 5 Delta One seats open and zero waitlist. Called the DM line and was told only way to upgrade for the flight was 28k SkyPesos, and I declined. Asked the SFO Sky Club agent about possibility for an upgrade, and she told me to call the DM line. Asked the gate agent, and he had absolutely no idea that upgrades to Delta One would be a possibility in the future. Flight departed with 3 Delta One seats empty and me in first row of C+. This is the outcome I had expected, but too bad that delta can’t roll a potentially positive change more quickly....
Old Dec 22, 2017, 10:06 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL FO, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by essexnyc

Flew SFO-JFK a couple of days ago. Morning of flight there were 5 Delta One seats open and zero waitlist. Called the DM line and was told only way to upgrade for the flight was 28k SkyPesos, and I declined. Asked the SFO Sky Club agent about possibility for an upgrade, and she told me to call the DM line. Asked the gate agent, and he had absolutely no idea that upgrades to Delta One would be a possibility in the future. Flight departed with 3 Delta One seats empty and me in first row of C+. This is the outcome I had expected, but too bad that delta can’t roll a potentially positive change more quickly....
28K miles isn't bad IMO.
Old Mar 31, 2018, 8:27 am

SO TOMORROW'S THE BIG DAY FOLKS!

Who's tracking this? Anyone check in for any D1 domestics tomorrow and is seeing an upgrade list? I'm waiting with the bucket of popcorn to see how this all plays out!
Old Mar 31, 2018, 8:33 am

Programs: DL PM, Bonvoy Gold
I'm waiting with the bucket of popcorn to see how this all plays out!

What do you expect to be interesting about this?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.