Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Big news: Medallion upgrades soon available for all domestic Delta One flights

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Big news: Medallion upgrades soon available for all domestic Delta One flights

Search this Thread

Old Nov 20, 2017, 2:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by davetravels
Yeah! Didn't you see it?!? It's . . . . .

BIG NEWS!!!!!!

I can't make the news BIG enough, since they seem to have disabled the clicky thing to make the font larger!

Like that will be able to use RUC on ATL/MSP-HNL also.
Old Nov 20, 2017, 2:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by aero0729
American A321Ts are way nicer than Delta 757s... not even an argument. Im not a big fan of DL 767 layout. It feels super cramped. Id rather have an aisle on the 757/A321, seat feels wider with more room to stretch your legs and move your feet around.

American destroys on the lounge access. Flagship vs Skyclub is not even a contest. This is the case everywhere worldwide when it comes to Skyteam vs OW/SA Premium lounges.

considering American has the newer, nicer planes, better product, better loyalty program -- I think Delta had no choice but to give a little.
Unless something has changed, one needs be in F, not J to get Flagship access on AA. Otherwise you get regular Admirals Club, which DL beats hands down.

Note I'm only talking domestic since this thread is about domestic routes.
Old Nov 20, 2017, 2:57 pm
In memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DM life is over 2MM PM now & NW MillionAir Wyndham Rewards Plat -Hotels.com Silver -Accor Silver
Originally Posted by flyerCO
Like that will be able to use RUC on ATL/MSP-HNL also.
I was just joking, saying that it's BIG NEWS, because, the "Main Thread" about this is titled "BIG NEWS!"

-------> Big news: Medallion upgrades soon available for all domestic Delta One flights

Old Nov 20, 2017, 4:03 pm

Programs: Fallen DL DM (PM) 2MM
Originally Posted by jk88usa
Let’s be honest it’s more of a PR move than anything...don’t get me wrong it’s great, but Id venture to guess even DM/PM won’t get many of these complimentary upgrades without an RUC, esp if they only begin the day of departure
Even with a cert it is a long shot. I am running less than 50% this year on GUC/RUC upgrades between LAX and JFK, though if my LAX-JFK in December clears I'll be 3 for 6 (JFK-BRU already cleared). The two that cleared so far cleared many weeks out so they probably would have been a comp upgrade to somebody (probably not me, though )
Old Nov 20, 2017, 4:04 pm

Originally Posted by RealHJ
Exactly. In reality this is pretty pointless and makes next to zero real life difference, as even if you want to fly in paid J, it's usually sold out, at least IME, 1-2 weeks (if not even longer) prior to flight. So there are not much more than zero seats ever available for any sort of upgrade in the first place. DL has managed the supply / demand very well, and the supply is slightly less than the demand, which is why DL can notionally give something away - that is just a PR ploy, but in real life will end up "giving away" very little.
Not every route is JFK-SFO/LAX.

on BOS-SFO, a lot of the early morning flights are quite empty. As a point of reference, tomorrow morning's flight has 6 out of 16 open right now. And Wednesday morning's flight is 5 out of 16 open. Not sure how many of those filled seats are paid vs RUC/GUC upgrades. This is for a thanksgiving week flight. I've seen many days when it's less than half full a day or 2 out.

With all these new routes like JFK-LAS getting D1 treatment, there will be plenty of days when many seats will be open. Could be quite rewarding.

Even on JFK-SFO, 6 of 7 flights tomorrow have J seat open. On JFK-LAX, 7 of 9 flights have J seat open.
Old Nov 20, 2017, 4:45 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL DM, AA Plat, Hertz Pres. Club. SPG Gold
I think this a nice move on DL's part, though I wonder why if they're going to give away comp. upgrades to coach passengers why they would take away SDC from premium ticket holders in domestic F and not D1?
Old Nov 20, 2017, 7:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
Originally Posted by FSUnole03
I think this a nice move on DL's part, though I wonder why if they're going to give away comp. upgrades to coach passengers why they would take away SDC from premium ticket holders in domestic F and not D1?
not that I’m thrilled about it either, as I’m one of those who was very happy to take advantage of that SDC option for the better part of four years, but the expression “to preserve the integrity of the D1 product/experience” comes to mind
Old Nov 20, 2017, 7:32 pm
Ambassador: Alaska Airlines

Not trying to be a cynic but isn't this technically a resumption of a benefit that they took away a few years ago? BE on JFK-LAX/SFO (SEA too?) used to be eligible for complimentary upgrades but only processed at the gate not in advance.

Nonetheless, positive news...
Old Nov 20, 2017, 7:45 pm

Deleted

Last edited by Widgets; Nov 22, 2017 at 11:27 am
Old Nov 20, 2017, 7:46 pm

Programs: DL PM, Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by golfingboy
Not trying to be a cynic but isn't this technically a resumption of a benefit that they took away a few years ago? BE on JFK-LAX/SFO (SEA too?) used to be eligible for complimentary upgrades but only processed at the gate not in advance.

Of course it is, but let's not complain. We don't want our Master to feel we are ungrateful and turn their countenance away from us.
Old Nov 20, 2017, 8:42 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL DM, AA Plat, Hertz Pres. Club. SPG Gold
Originally Posted by jrl767
not that I’m thrilled about it either, as I’m one of those who was very happy to take advantage of that SDC option for the better part of four years, but the expression “to preserve the integrity of the D1 product/experience” comes to mind
But how are they preserving it when they're now making it eligible for complimentary upgrades and giving it away for free? At least let the people who paid for a premium fare be able to SDC before giving it to those who paid for Y fares. Even if they modified SDC to D1 from 24-hours before to day of.
Old Nov 20, 2017, 9:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Plat, Nat'l Exec Elite, Avis Presidents Club
Originally Posted by golfingboy

Getting something back that DL once took away is about the only winning that happens on DL these days. Therefore we must praise our benevolent master for this latest development.
Old Nov 20, 2017, 10:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by 355F1
This is one of the main reasons I switched most of my flying to AA/OW last year.

This lounge blows away away anything SkyTeam-related.

And lets not not forget the Cathay Pier And Wing FC Lounges in HKG.....

Im still DM on DL (tons of rollover and I spend $25k/year on my DL AMEX Reserve), but most of my flying now is on One World as its almost all international and all leisure.
lol, you kind of misquoted me - the "very very good" was referring to the AA Flagship First Dining that's almost exclusively for 3-class F passengers. As that hasn't opened in LAX yet, I referenced the QF F lounge - I *think* you can get in on the basis of F class of service on JFK flights but I'm not 100% sure. But in any event, that lounge is also very very good also (with waiter service) but is much less exclusive than AA's FFD because of all the OneWorld Emeralds flying internationally.
Old Nov 20, 2017, 10:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by flyerCO
Unless something has changed, one needs be in F, not J to get Flagship access on AA. Otherwise you get regular Admirals Club, which DL beats hands down.

Note I'm only talking domestic since this thread is about domestic routes.
AA premium transcontinental flights in J or F (so JFK-LAX/SFO) include access to the Flagship lounge - they always have, since the lounge opened. All I'm discussing is the comparison between DL One domestic and AA "Flagship" domestic/transcon service, as that came up earlier in the thread.
Old Nov 20, 2017, 11:56 pm

Programs: DL DM, UA, AA EXP, AS MVP75K GOLD, HHonors Diamond, BW Diamond, SPG Gold, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by UVAhoo06
Do you all think all rules about companions (i.e., +1 on the same PNR) will also apply to these D1 domestic routes?
Of course they will. That policy for a Medallion's +1 as well as these recent changes are designed to keep the carrot positioned to encourage Medallions to spend up to maintain Diamond Medallion status.

For much of these changes are focused on the top elites.

Since the D1 upgrades will be Day of Departure (DOD) Delta is not leaving much meat on the bone on these routes.

Still it's better than slamming the door shut on all elites.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.