Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Refused Check In at TUL by Check in Agent for Flights to AUH

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Refused Check In at TUL by Check in Agent for Flights to AUH

Search this Thread

Old Nov 21, 2017, 10:06 am
TTT
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM MM, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by irishguy28
That Delta apparently made no offer or gesture to make up for this failure on their part - regardless of whether it is legally required or not - is appalling.
I don't disagree and imagine Delta will offer something if the OP and family contact customer service after travel. I imagine the first priority was to get the reservation fixed/updated for travel.
Old Nov 21, 2017, 11:59 am

Programs: DL PM, Marriott Gold, Hertz PC, National Exec
I am, of course, talking about passengers who the airline has no right or valid excuse to deny boarding - the passenger has done everything legally and morally required of them to be accepted for travel. Or, to phrase it another way: the only reason for denying boarding was the airline's mistake/blunder/stupidity.
Exactly my point. You're creating your own definition for a term that already has a clear legal definition. There's a wide range of reasons for which one can be denied boarding when one wants to board. If you're going to reject the legal definition of IDB, there's no reason to accept your particular choice for what reasons qualify.
Old Nov 21, 2017, 12:00 pm

Originally Posted by TTT
The passenger doesn't have a right to a refund unless they purchase a ticket which allows for a refund.
That's exactly what I said. You have the right to a full refund at any time before your flight. The airline offers you the opportunity to waive that right in exchange for a discount on your ticket. You're free to accept that discount (and waive your cancellation rights) or not.
Old Nov 21, 2017, 12:05 pm
TTT
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM MM, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by cestmoi123
That's exactly what I said. You have the right to a full refund at any time before your flight. The airline offers you the opportunity to waive that right in exchange for a discount on your ticket. You're free to accept that discount (and waive your cancellation rights) or not.
True - I misread your original post.
Old Nov 21, 2017, 12:06 pm

I have the right to choose not to travel. I don't have the right to expect a refund, unless this was allowed by the fare rules governing the ticket.
That's exactly what I said: "You have the same right (to cancel your ticket at anytime and get a refund), unless you choose to waive that right in exchange for a discount."

But apparently the airline has the right to unilaterally cancel the ticket (that is what they are effectively doing, if they don't allow you to travel) and give you a refund, as long as it is not because of overselling!!! [As long as they ensure at least one seat flies empty, they can deny any passengers they like with impunity!!!]
Sure, they can deny any passengers they want with impunity (pretty much). Why would they? As I said, Delta could cancel and refund the tickets of everyone with a Q in their PNR. They'd give up a huge amount of revenue (very harmful in a business with minimal variable and huge fixed costs), and it would hurt their brand image, but they could.
Old Nov 21, 2017, 12:10 pm

Whether the airline's mistake was to miscalculate how many passengers might turn up, or to miscalculate the visa/entry requirements, or to make any other incorrect judgement that prevents the passenger from travelling, ends up with the same outcome - the passenger can't travel, and the passenger is equally inconvenienced.
The reason for the IDB rules being what they are in the US is the nature of the incentives for the airline. In the first case, absent penalties for overselling resulting in IDB, the airline has an incentive to massively oversell, since the oversales only hurt the pax, not the airline. In the other cases, the airline is harmed as well, since it gives up revenue it could otherwise have captured.
Old Nov 21, 2017, 2:08 pm

Programs: DL PM/1MM, BW DE (lifetime), HH DE, Marriott PE (lifetime), National Emerald Executive
Originally Posted by flyerCO
They have to call everytime I fly to Canada using only NEXUS card and not passport. (It's legal to/from Canada/US, unlike a passport card which isn't)

They seem to know their stuff even if front line agents don't.
However you still need to have your passport with you, along with the Nexus card..
I mean you can go into Canada just with Nexus without even showing passport no problem normally, but when you come back to US then after Global Entry you still need to show your passport, so you still need to carry it with you. Same if you cross by land border. Still need to show your passport also after scanning your Nexus card.

But yes, unlike AC and other airlines DL doesn't allow you to enter the Nexus number instead of passport in OLCI. Just typical DL, always behind the competition..
Old Nov 21, 2017, 10:00 pm

Programs: DL Gold
Originally Posted by Often1
It is called a violation of a private contract between DL and an individual which does not require a nanny in Brussels or elsewhere to rap DL's knuckles.

It works quite well in the vast majority of the world where EC 261/2004 does not apply and somehow the US, Canada, Australia, Japan, and China to name a few, are doing quite well.
Okay, but there are times when the company needs to have its knuckles rapped by the nun to remind it that it should ensure its employees are properly trained and its internal procedures and documents are in order so that these kinds of situations don't happen. It's not the case this time, but what if the travel in question was to board a cruise, meaning a one-day delay in travel makes the cruise tickets worthless and the trip itself pointless?

I'm all in favor of empowering customer-facing employees, but we have to recognize that sometimes these empowered employees will go off on power trips at the expense of customers. There should be consequences for the company and the employee for a massive screw-up like this. And no, just taking one's business to UA or AA doesn't really do the trick, because, as is always noted in the threads about this or that change to SkyMiles being the last straw, DL really won't notice the loss of your business.

I'm not favoring a return to the days of cartelized route awards through the CAB and one-size-fits-all fares. I'm just saying there should be a mechanism short of going to court to force DL to pay up for a systemic screw-up such as this.
IndyHoosier and altabello like this.
Old Nov 22, 2017, 8:07 am

Originally Posted by dilbertsdaddy
getting into UAE on US Passport is easier than getting into Canada.
Really? How?
Old Nov 22, 2017, 9:26 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by Detroiter
Okay, but there are times when the company needs to have its knuckles rapped by the nun to remind it that it should ensure its employees are properly trained and its internal procedures and documents are in order so that these kinds of situations don't happen. It's not the case this time, but what if the travel in question was to board a cruise, meaning a one-day delay in travel makes the cruise tickets worthless and the trip itself pointless?

I'm all in favor of empowering customer-facing employees, but we have to recognize that sometimes these empowered employees will go off on power trips at the expense of customers. There should be consequences for the company and the employee for a massive screw-up like this. And no, just taking one's business to UA or AA doesn't really do the trick, because, as is always noted in the threads about this or that change to SkyMiles being the last straw, DL really won't notice the loss of your business.

I'm not favoring a return to the days of cartelized route awards through the CAB and one-size-fits-all fares. I'm just saying there should be a mechanism short of going to court to force DL to pay up for a systemic screw-up such as this.
As the victim on one of these "my travel documents were all in order but the DL employee insisted otherwise" incidents that *did* cause me to cancel the trip and another one where I was anxious for several hours at the airport about whether I would be permitted to board or not, I would be all in favor of a huge fine to punish DL plus a requirement that the responsible employee(s) be fired. That could force DL to train their people to use TIMATIC properly instead of trying to rely on what they "believe" at the expense of the customer.
Old Nov 22, 2017, 1:23 pm

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
As the victim on one of these "my travel documents were all in order but the DL employee insisted otherwise" incidents that *did* cause me to cancel the trip and another one where I was anxious for several hours at the airport about whether I would be permitted to board or not, I would be all in favor of a huge fine to punish DL plus a requirement that the responsible employee(s) be fired. That could force DL to train their people to use TIMATIC properly instead of trying to rely on what they "believe" at the expense of the customer.
One solution would be a requirement that, if you say you have the proper docs, but the airline says you don't, the airline would be required to transport you anyway, on the condition that you sign a waiver accepting full responsibility for any costs the airline faces if you're refused entry and need to be transported back.
Old Nov 22, 2017, 1:58 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
One solution would be a requirement that, if you say you have the proper docs, but the airline says you don't, the airline would be required to transport you anyway, on the condition that you sign a waiver accepting full responsibility for any costs the airline faces if you're refused entry and need to be transported back.
And what would be the punishment for the airline and employee for denying boarding when the documents are in order?

Under your proposed regulation. airlines could just defer to the passengers always and deny travel to anyone who cannot show sufficient resources to pay the fine.
Old Nov 22, 2017, 6:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by davetravels
So, why not carry your passport?
Don't always have it. Ie need to send to Embassy for visa, traveled domestic and now need to goto Canada, etc...
Old Nov 22, 2017, 7:14 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
No need for new laws or rules to accomplish that.

If you are denied entry for failure to produce docs. and the carrier is required to return you to your point of origin, you are already liable to the carrier for any fines and other expenses it may incur and if you don't have an onward or return segment on the carrier, it can charge you for the cost of transporting you as well.

But, with fines typically in the $10K range, it is far from clear that the average passenger is in a position to pony up.

There are also countries which will hold the aircraft until they have the passenger physically ready to boot out of the country and the passenger is a "must fly" meaning that someone else gets the boot if the aircraft is full.

While this particular instance is a bad one because DL was wrong, on balance flying people around the world with the carrier and the passenger's fingers crossed isn't an effective means of doing business.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.