Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Refused Check In at TUL by Check in Agent for Flights to AUH

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Refused Check In at TUL by Check in Agent for Flights to AUH

Search this Thread

Old Nov 21, 2017, 4:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by fpmurphy
The correct term for the "help desk" that you mention, is the Delta GAC (Global Assistance Center). Delta's version of TIMATIC is woefully out of date or just plain wrong for a couple of countries I travel to, so I have to ask the TA to phone the GAC for a NOBOARD override.
They have to call everytime I fly to Canada using only NEXUS card and not passport. (It's legal to/from Canada/US, unlike a passport card which isn't)

They seem to know their stuff even if front line agents don't.
Old Nov 21, 2017, 6:09 am
In memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DM life is over 2MM PM now & NW MillionAir Wyndham Rewards Plat -Hotels.com Silver -Accor Silver
Originally Posted by flyerCO
They have to call everytime I fly to Canada using only NEXUS card and not passport. (It's legal to/from Canada/US, unlike a passport card which isn't)

They seem to know their stuff even if front line agents don't.
So, why not carry your passport?
Old Nov 21, 2017, 6:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
Originally Posted by Often1
It is called a violation of a private contract between DL and an individual which does not require a nanny in Brussels or elsewhere to rap DL's knuckles.

It works quite well in the vast majority of the world where EC 261/2004 does not apply and somehow the US, Canada, Australia, Japan, and China to name a few, are doing quite well.
This has nothing to do with Brussels, or compensation.

When an airline incorrectly denies boarding to a passenger who wishes to travel, then IDB has occurred.

Whether or not US law only requires an airline to pay compensation when the flight is oversold - meaning that an airline is "off the hook" as regards compensation as long as at least one seat flies empty, regardless of their reasons for preventing the customer from rightly boarding the flight - is beside the point.
Old Nov 21, 2017, 8:38 am
TTT
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM MM, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by irishguy28
This has nothing to do with Brussels, or compensation.

When an airline incorrectly denies boarding to a passenger who wishes to travel, then IDB has occurred.

Whether or not US law only requires an airline to pay compensation when the flight is oversold - meaning that an airline is "off the hook" as regards compensation as long as at least one seat flies empty, regardless of their reasons for preventing the customer from rightly boarding the flight - is beside the point.
But in the US the term has a specific and legal meaning. Using the term IBD in a situation where the legal meaning doesn't apply can be confusing for those who don't know the nuances of IBD.
cestmoi123 and MSPeconomist like this.

Last edited by TTT; Nov 21, 2017 at 8:46 am
Old Nov 21, 2017, 8:53 am

Programs: DL PM, Marriott Gold, Hertz PC, National Exec
So what is it called in the US when an airline incorrectly denies a customer from boarding an airplane? When that passenger has a valid ticket, has checked in and presented themselves for boarding in the appropriate manner, and who have followed all the airline's requirements, who are neither intoxicated or under the influence of drugs, who have not - and have never previously - attempted to interfere with the duties of a flight crew member, who have never assaulted, threatened, intimidated, or interfered with a crewmember in the performance of the crewmember’s duties aboard an aircraft, who have never been barred by any airline? Or particularly, as in the present case, where they are found to have the correct travel documents for their ticketed journey and the airline employee was demonstrably in the wrong?
It's called a full refund is due. Bottom line, airlines can refund your fare and refuse to transport you for any reason, so long as it's not (a) generally prohibited discrimination grounds (race, gender, etc.) or (b) because they're oversold.

If Delta wanted to say "we're cancelling and refunding the tickets of everyone booked to fly today who has a Q in their PNR," they legally could. It would be massively stupid, but legal.
irishguy28 likes this.
Old Nov 21, 2017, 8:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by cestmoi123
It's called a full refund is due. Bottom line, airlines can refund your fare and refuse to transport you for any reason, so long as it's not (a) generally prohibited discrimination grounds (race, gender, etc.) or (b) because they're oversold.

If Delta wanted to say "we're cancelling and refunding the tickets of everyone booked to fly today who has a Q in their PNR," they legally could. It would be massively stupid, but legal.
Appalling.

Though the first Delta agent apparently didn't even consider that a refund was due!
Old Nov 21, 2017, 9:01 am

Why do you condition this with "incorrectly?" If somebody is arrested trying to pass through security with a bomb, they've been involuntarily denied boarding as well. If you're going to ignore the specific legal meaning of the term in the US, then you shouldn't be applying other arbitrary restrictions instead.
Old Nov 21, 2017, 9:04 am

Appalling.

Though the first Delta agent apparently didn't even consider that a refund was due!
Why appalling? You have the same right (to cancel your ticket at anytime and get a refund), unless you choose to waive that right in exchange for a discount.

Clearly, the Delta agent was wrong about the refund being due, since they were wrong about the validity of the customers' documents.
Old Nov 21, 2017, 9:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Why do you condition this with "incorrectly?"
Because just because you want to board a flight doesn't mean that the airline should let you. It's generally accepted, for example, that you must be in possession of both a valid ticket AND boarding pass!!!

Serial stowaway slips aboard Minn-Fla flight

If somebody is arrested trying to pass through security with a bomb, they've been involuntarily denied boarding as well. If you're going to ignore the specific legal meaning of the term in the US, then you shouldn't be applying other arbitrary restrictions instead.
I am, of course, talking about passengers who the airline has no right or valid excuse to deny boarding - the passenger has done everything legally and morally required of them to be accepted for travel. Or, to phrase it another way: the only reason for denying boarding was the airline's mistake/blunder/stupidity.
Old Nov 21, 2017, 9:09 am
TTT
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Appalling.

The Conditions of Carriage put the onus on the passenger for ensuring their travel documents in order for their destination. In this agent's mind they (incorrectly) thought the passenger didn't comply with the COC and therefor no refund would be due as the passenger hadn't complied with their end of the COC.
Old Nov 21, 2017, 9:10 am
TTT
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Why appalling? You have the same right (to cancel your ticket at anytime and get a refund), unless you choose to waive that right in exchange for a discount.
The passenger doesn't have a right to a refund unless they purchase a ticket which allows for a refund.
Old Nov 21, 2017, 9:12 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by zrs70
It reminds me of a time a couple of years ago when I had a DL voucher (non-electronic) that had to be redeemed at a counter (or perhaps by mail).

I reserved a ticket from LAX-YVR (via SEA) and went to LAX to ticket. The agent asked for my passport. I told her I wasn’t travelling until two months later.

“I can’t sell you this ticket without seeing your passport.” I was beside myself, as I really didn’t want to make an additional trip to the airport.

She was adamant, and I suppose it was policy (though not sure why). She said, “I can sell you LAX-SEA, and then you can make your way to YVR. But LAX-SEA was about $600. She told me to either go home and come back with my passport or go only to SEA.

Anyway, I asked her to book me on a cheapone way refundable fare, LAX-LAS. She did. As soon as I left the counter, I called DL and asked them to cancel the ticket and use the credit for LAX-YVR. 45 seconds later I was all set.
Well done!
IndyHoosier likes this.
Old Nov 21, 2017, 9:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

If only that were true!

I have the right to choose not to travel. I don't have the right to expect a refund, unless this was allowed by the fare rules governing the ticket.

But apparently the airline has the right to unilaterally cancel the ticket (that is what they are effectively doing, if they don't allow you to travel) and give you a refund, as long as it is not because of overselling!!! [As long as they ensure at least one seat flies empty, they can deny any passengers they like with impunity!!!]
Old Nov 21, 2017, 9:19 am
TTT
FlyerTalk Evangelist

But apparently the airline has the right to unilaterally cancel the ticket (that is what they are effectively doing, if they don't allow you to travel) and give you a refund, as long as it is not because of overselling!!! [As long as they ensure at least one seat flies empty, they can deny any passengers they like with impunity!!!]
The COCs are very much in the airline's favor in the US.
Old Nov 21, 2017, 9:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by TTT
The Conditions of Carriage put the onus on the passenger for ensuring their travel documents in order for their destination. In this agent's mind they (incorrectly) thought the passenger didn't comply with the COC and therefor no refund would be due as the passenger hadn't complied with their end of the COC.
When a passenger who should have been allowed to travel isn't allowed to travel, the reason behind the airline's "mistake" does not make the inconvenience any lesser or greater for the passenger.

Whether the airline's mistake was to miscalculate how many passengers might turn up, or to miscalculate the visa/entry requirements, or to make any other incorrect judgement that prevents the passenger from travelling, ends up with the same outcome - the passenger can't travel, and the passenger is equally inconvenienced.

That Delta apparently made no offer or gesture to make up for this failure on their part - regardless of whether it is legally required or not - is appalling.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.