FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta-air-lines-skymiles-665/)
-   -   777 D1 Suite PS + Comfort+ retrofit consolidated thread (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta-air-lines-skymiles/1878470-777-d1-suite-ps-comfort-retrofit-consolidated-thread.html)

nichojo Nov 19, 2017 9:55 pm

777 D1 Suite PS + Comfort+ retrofit consolidated thread

Has there been any news on when this will begin?

jrkmsp Nov 20, 2017 6:50 am

January is what I've heard.

rylan Nov 20, 2017 10:50 am

Didn't think it was that soon... I don't recall seeing anything about what the updated seating config will be either except for some speculation back in May based on an initial filing from Delta for 28J/48P/220Y

jrkmsp Nov 20, 2017 12:53 pm

Originally Posted by rylan (Post 29081618)
Didn't think it was that soon... I don't recall seeing anything about what the updated seating config will be either except for some speculation back in May based on an initial filing from Delta for 28J/48P/220Y

What I heard is that bird one will go in in January, but it's expected to take 3+ months for the firt one to get done. But that's just rumor mill. Take it for what it's worth.

bubbashow Nov 20, 2017 1:50 pm

Y'all know I can be a pretty big DL cheerleader. That said, I don't understand the fascination with Delta's "Suites". Anyone who has flown a true suite product (I have on SQ, EK, 9W, and CZ) can see this isn't even close. It's just the same lie-flat (with legs going under armrest in front) and a small sliding door. By the looks of it, and admittedly, I have not yet flown it, I don't see any advantages to it compared to what is now Delta One.

DLATL777 Nov 20, 2017 7:08 pm

People like to get excited about things that make them feel special or like they are flying something truly unique. Calling the DL suites is pathetic, but, its what they have chosen as marketing and many, many people dont know better. It allows people to brag about flying in a "suite" when many will never fly on something like an EK or SQ Suite that is truly where the terminology began and belongs.

Mountain Explorer Nov 20, 2017 11:50 pm

It's got more storage space than any other D1 seat (or any Polaris seat or any AA seat). It's got a bigger tv than any other D1 seat (or Polaris/AA).

The 777 seats are starting to show their age. To me, a brand new suite is a clear upgrade over the current 777 D1 seat.

rylan Nov 21, 2017 6:29 am

More storage than the 747 D1 seat?

Agree the 777 seats are old and need a refresh. Just crappy that the J cabin is being reduced even more down to 28 seats.

bubbashow Nov 21, 2017 8:06 am

Originally Posted by DLATL777 (Post 29083366)
People like to get excited about things that make them feel special or like they are flying something truly unique. Calling the DL suites is pathetic, but, its what they have chosen as marketing and many, many people dont know better. It allows people to brag about flying in a "suite" when many will never fly on something like an EK or SQ Suite that is truly where the terminology began and belongs.

Agreed. The "door" doesn't make it better. It just makes it a door. This product is not a "suite" by any definition. I guess Barnum was right...there's one born every minute. If DL can get a product premium out of it, good for DL. Something tells me that those who know better are unwilling to pay above-and-beyond D1 pricing for it. Just flew the 9W suite last week. Amazing space.

jdrtravel Nov 21, 2017 8:11 am

Originally Posted by rylan (Post 29084728)

Agree the 777 seats are old and need a refresh. Just crappy that the J cabin is being reduced even more down to 28 seats.

But I'm very glad that DL is adding a true premium economy cabin. Let's see what they do with that extra 10 inches of cabin width in PS. Each seat could gain an inch of width, which would put PS on the 777 at 19.5" seat width, and that would be nicer.

fly747first Nov 21, 2017 8:43 am

Originally Posted by bubbashow (Post 29082398)
Y'all know I can be a pretty big DL cheerleader. That said, I don't understand the fascination with Delta's "Suites". Anyone who has flown a true suite product (I have on SQ, EK, 9W, and CZ) can see this isn't even close. It's just the same lie-flat (with legs going under armrest in front) and a small sliding door. By the looks of it, and admittedly, I have not yet flown it, I don't see any advantages to it compared to what is now Delta One.

Except you forget that all those amazing SQ, EK, EY, etc. Suite products are based on First Class, not Business Class, so it's not exactly a fair comparison. As much as I love SQ, even its latest product doesn't feature doors in Business Class.

kdavis527 Nov 21, 2017 1:21 pm

I'm booked in J on the 777 NRT-ATL in June... it would be such a wonderful surprise to finish out the trip on in a D1 Suite :) C'mon DL, give the ATL-NRT route some love!

nichojo Nov 21, 2017 10:35 pm

Originally Posted by fly747first (Post 29085201)
Except you forget that all those amazing SQ, EK, EY, etc. Suite products are based on First Class, not Business Class, so it's not exactly a fair comparison. As much as I love SQ, even its latest product doesn't feature doors in Business Class.

Correct. I don't care about what its called, I just know that I live in Sydney, have a few hundred thousand SkyMiles to burn and don't want to fly in the ole crappy 777 seat again. Hence this topic :).

kmersh Nov 22, 2017 6:49 am

Originally Posted by nichojo (Post 29087989)
Correct. I don't care about what its called, I just know that I live in Sydney, have a few hundred thousand SkyMiles to burn and don't want to fly in the ole crappy 777 seat again. Hence this topic :).

Granted, I have only ever flown the 777 Business class domestically (mostly from ATL to the West Coast), but what makes it so crappy?

I do not find it uncomfortable to sit in, though admittedly I have never tried sleeping in it.

Is it the age of the seat or position of the seat?

I am contemplating taking a flight in DELTA One on a 777 and am curious as to what makes it less desirable as I do have some other comparable options that I could choose.

bubbashow Nov 22, 2017 7:45 am

Originally Posted by kdavis527 (Post 29086442)
I'm booked in J on the 777 NRT-ATL in June... it would be such a wonderful surprise to finish out the trip on in a D1 Suite :) C'mon DL, give the ATL-NRT route some love!

it's like putting whipped cream on dung and calling it chocolate mousse. It's a same-old, same-old feet under the armrest business class seat with a half "door"that further reduces space. It is not a "suite" by any stretch of the definition in the airline business. For a site that is so uber-critical of everything Delta marketing, a lot of you (I guess you've never seen the real thing) have bought this hook, line, and sinker.