FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta-air-lines-skymiles-665/)
-   -   777 D1 Suite PS + Comfort+ retrofit consolidated thread (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta-air-lines-skymiles/1878470-777-d1-suite-ps-comfort-retrofit-consolidated-thread.html)

jamiestr Nov 23, 2017 11:02 am

Happy Thanksgiving, everyone! :p

Seriously, the reviews I've read are good and Delta edged out Polaris and other products in the Crystal Cabin award. Why don't we take the time to fly it instead of bickering?

audidudi Nov 23, 2017 4:21 pm

Remember these D1 Suites in the A350 and coming in the B777, are a BUSINESS CLASS, not FIRST CLASS, product.. All the other airlines that have/are getting Suites are a FIRST CLASS product. There's no comparison between the two Classes at all, nor is DL trying to say there is. It's comparing apples to oranges!

live5 Nov 23, 2017 7:51 pm

Originally Posted by bubbashow (Post 29089133)
it's like putting whipped cream on dung and calling it chocolate mousse. It's a same-old, same-old feet under the armrest business class seat with a half "door"that further reduces space. It is not a "suite" by any stretch of the definition in the airline business. For a site that is so uber-critical of everything Delta marketing, a lot of you (I guess you've never seen the real thing) have bought this hook, line, and sinker.

I don't understand how a comment like this is supposed to be helpful. People are excited for something new and you're telling them that they're wrong? This is a clear upgrade. If you don't like it then there's no need to tear everyone else down. I'm incredibly excited about the door. I don't like feeling so exposed when sleeping, as if I'm literally in the aisle.

DLATL777 Nov 24, 2017 6:43 am

Originally Posted by audidudi (Post 29093945)
Remember these D1 Suites in the A350 and coming in the B777, are a BUSINESS CLASS, not FIRST CLASS, product.. All the other airlines that have/are getting Suites are a FIRST CLASS product. There's no comparison between the two Classes at all, nor is DL trying to say there is. It's comparing apples to oranges!

We all know that-but when Delta chose to use the word "Suite" they brought this upon themselves.

C W Nov 24, 2017 8:09 am

Originally Posted by DLATL777 (Post 29095418)
We all know that-but when Delta chose to use the word "Suite" they brought this upon themselves.

Wow, how dare they try and bring some of the first class experience to business class! Terrible, terrible! /s

nichojo Nov 24, 2017 5:38 pm

Marketing 101 - Use buzzwords.

bubbashow Nov 24, 2017 8:15 pm

Originally Posted by C W (Post 29095618)
Wow, how dare they try and bring some of the first class experience to business class! Terrible, terrible! /s

this is by no means a first class experience. It is a door further limiting a limited business class seat. It preys on the stupid and naive. Fly a true suite and tell me this is anything more than a buzzword. Though there are many on here impressed witn their "brag" tags, so I guess it found it's audience.

CalebMCO Nov 24, 2017 8:17 pm

And what, precisely, has Delta brought upon themselves? A few people on an anonymous Internet forum clutching their pearls because they used the word ‘suite? British Airways, United, Virgin (and I’m sure there are many others) use ‘suite’ to describe seats without a door - without causing attacks of the vapors on FlyerTalk.

Mountain Explorer Nov 24, 2017 9:04 pm

Originally Posted by bubbashow (Post 29097259)
It preys on the stupid and naive. Fly a true suite and tell me this is anything more than a buzzword. Though there are many on here impressed witn their "brag" tags, so I guess it found it's audience.

Or maybe we're able to see past the name, and see the product for what it is: a pretty decent business class product.

You, however, are apparently preoccupied by the name and unable to process any other information.

ijgordon Nov 24, 2017 9:31 pm

Originally Posted by bubbashow (Post 29097259)
Fly a true suite

:rolleyes: Still waiting for that definition.

kmersh Nov 27, 2017 9:50 am

I am not a business person, I do not claim to understand marketing, or business in general, I am a Physician which means that I am god awful at business and to a great degree that is very true.

While I have not flown on the "Suite" yet and probably won't for a good long while, I do not see the harm in calling it a suite and leaving it up to the individual passenger to determine if it is in fact a suite or not, each person deserves their own opinion and can form it however he/she may like.

With that said, I wonder why is it even needed, does competition require it or is it more a case of trying to be on the cutting edge? I have flown on a few different DELTA One seats and all seemed to varying degree good enough with my favorite probably being the 333, but I never said to myself a door would make this flight better.

Having said all of that I have never experienced a door at my seat, so maybe it is materially better than a seat without one, but I was happy enough with the cradle Business Elite seats of yesteryear, I truly slept well in those seats, so maybe my judgement is not that of the majority.

jdrtravel Nov 27, 2017 10:11 am

Originally Posted by kmersh (Post 29105041)
I am not a business person, I do not claim to understand marketing, or business in general, I am a Physician.........I was happy enough with the cradle Business Elite seats of yesteryear, I truly slept well in those seats.

Alright doc, be honest, what are you prescribing yourself before the flight????

ijgordon Nov 27, 2017 10:28 am

Originally Posted by kmersh (Post 29105041)
While I have not flown on the "Suite" yet and probably won't for a good long while, I do not see the harm in calling it a suite and leaving it up to the individual passenger to determine if it is in fact a suite or not, each person deserves their own opinion and can form it however he/she may like.

For what it's worth, Virgin Australia calls its business class seat a "suite." Looks to me like the SuperDiamond, similar to DL's A330 seats.

Is anyone on the VA board having a hissy fit about their "suite"?

bubbashow Nov 27, 2017 11:26 am

Originally Posted by ijgordon (Post 29097425)
:rolleyes: Still waiting for that definition.

I will let you Google image search yourself. Fly on one and you will know the difference.

If it makes you FEEL special to have that door on a business class seat, more power to you.

jiburi Nov 27, 2017 11:28 am

Originally Posted by jamiestr (Post 29093230)
Happy Thanksgiving, everyone! :p

Seriously, the reviews I've read are good and Delta edged out Polaris and other products in the Crystal Cabin award. Why don't we take the time to fly it instead of bickering?

As long as D1 upgrade doesn't include a change in Y, good that Delta edged out United. While it's unlikely I will be flying Delta's Delta One or United's Polaris, I would definitely choose Delta's 9 abreast Y over United's 10. 18.5 inches width is generous in comparison to United's 17 inches in the upcoming configuration for its international 777 fleet.

Jiburi