FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta-air-lines-skymiles-665/)
-   -   777 D1 Suite PS + Comfort+ retrofit consolidated thread (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta-air-lines-skymiles/1878470-777-d1-suite-ps-comfort-retrofit-consolidated-thread.html)

jdrtravel Nov 22, 2017 8:09 am

Originally Posted by kmersh (Post 29088937)
Granted, I have only ever flown the 777 Business class domestically (mostly from ATL to the West Coast), but what makes it so crappy?

I do not find it uncomfortable to sit in, though admittedly I have never tried sleeping in it.

Is it the age of the seat or position of the seat?

I am contemplating taking a flight in DELTA One on a 777 and am curious as to what makes it less desirable as I do have some other comparable options that I could choose.

The 777 was DL's first herringbone configuration and it was a huge leap forward for DL's J class when it was first released. The two main issues people often cite are:

1) DL has not moved to a reverse herringbone model, (see the A330 and 747 seat maps) where pax in the center face inward an pax at the windows face the window, as opposed to everyone facing the aisle. This has a more private feel as opposed to feeling like you are kind of sitting in the aisle.

2) The seats are just starting to show their age. It is not infrequent for people to report seats have broken parts, etc.

If you have the option to fly on a A330 or 747 (while they are still around) instead of the 777, I would suggest you do. Many people would still say that the 777 is a better product than the 767. In any case, the 777 will not be a bad ride.

kdavis527 Nov 22, 2017 8:49 am

Originally Posted by bubbashow (Post 29089133)
it's like putting whipped cream on dung and calling it chocolate mousse. It's a same-old, same-old feet under the armrest business class seat with a half "door"that further reduces space. It is not a "suite" by any stretch of the definition in the airline business. For a site that is so uber-critical of everything Delta marketing, a lot of you (I guess you've never seen the real thing) have bought this hook, line, and sinker.

I'm sorry, but have you flown the product yet? The reviews have been glowing, even from those who are not Delta "loyalists". Regardless, your opinion is your own, but I would love to fly on a plane with a brand new interior instead of one that is showing its age, and one that would make it easier to talk to my travel companion instead of seats angled away.

Mountain Explorer Nov 22, 2017 11:52 am

it's like putting whipped cream on dung and calling it chocolate mousse. It's a same-old, same-old feet under the armrest business class seat with a half "door"that further reduces space. It is not a "suite" by any stretch of the definition in the airline business. For a site that is so uber-critical of everything Delta marketing, a lot of you (I guess you've never seen the real thing) have bought this hook, line, and sinker.

This is a ridiculous analogy. I don't know why it's so important to you that everyone hates the suites as much as you do. But your opinion is definitely not widely held. You should consider counselling maybe.

guller Nov 22, 2017 12:13 pm

I don't dislike the suites, I'm sure they are great. I just don't see the benefit of having a door that everyone can see over anyway.

MSPeconomist Nov 22, 2017 1:50 pm

I don't understand the point of having a door that someone standing or walking in the aisle can see over. There's no (additional) privacy.

tvtd Nov 22, 2017 1:55 pm

Originally Posted by guller (Post 29090139)
I don't dislike the suites, I'm sure they are great. I just don't see the benefit of having a door that everyone can see over anyway.

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist (Post 29090501)
I don't understand the point of having a door that someone standing or walking in the aisle can see over. There's no (additional) privacy.

You could always bring some gaffers tape, ask for a couple extra blankets, and make a fort. That'd be pretty cool.

Mountain Explorer Nov 22, 2017 2:04 pm

Regarding the door. When you are in full-flat, you are fairly low to the ground. Rather than having the knee of someone walking thru the aisle just a few inches from your face, you can create a barrier there.

When you are sound asleep, it eliminates the possibility that someone walking by can easily touch your body. I personally know many people who will appreciate a feature like that, they will be more comfortable falling asleep knowing there is some barrier there.

But look, if you don't want to use the door, then don't use the door. No law or commandment says you have to close the door. Seriously people, it's no big deal.

jdrtravel Nov 22, 2017 2:29 pm

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist (Post 29090501)

It's about not having the person across the aisle be in direct eyesight the whole time.

Also, with the door, I'd personally feel comfortable changing into PJ pants under the blanket.

C W Nov 22, 2017 3:34 pm

Originally Posted by tvtd (Post 29090520)
You could always bring some gaffers tape, ask for a couple extra blankets, and make a fort. That'd be pretty cool.

I am going to do this ^

flyerCO Nov 23, 2017 2:48 am

Originally Posted by kdavis527 (Post 29089362)
I'm sorry, but have you flown the product yet? The reviews have been glowing, even from those who are not Delta "loyalists". Regardless, your opinion is your own, but I would love to fly on a plane with a brand new interior instead of one that is showing its age, and one that would make it easier to talk to my travel companion instead of seats angled away.

The many I've read have not been glowing. They might enjoy it, but the general response I've read have been, Meh. It's by no means bad. However it's lackluster, with the whole selling point being a door. A door that doesn't go high enough to give privacy, and doesn't shut all the way, reducing privacy even more. This is nowhere close to being a suite by any other airline standard.

DLATL777 Nov 23, 2017 6:42 am

Originally Posted by flyerCO (Post 29092093)
The many I've read have not been glowing. They might enjoy it, but the general response I've read have been, Meh. It's by no means bad. However it's lackluster, with the whole selling point being a door. A door that doesn't go high enough to give privacy, and doesn't shut all the way, reducing privacy even more. This is nowhere close to being a suite by any other airline standard.

Ding ding! We have a winner!

Is anyone else going to mention the Irony that delta ran away from the ATL-DXB route whining like a 6 year old child about "the evil ( far superior) Emirates" but has the audacity to try and compete with a similar premium product by calling it a "Suite". Hilarious Delta, you couldn't be anymore obtuse.

ijgordon Nov 23, 2017 7:55 am

It is not a "suite" by any stretch of the definition in the airline business.

Pray tell, what is the definition of a "suite" in the airline business?, and provide your source please.

jdrtravel Nov 23, 2017 8:55 am

[QUOTE=flyerCO;29092093] A door that doesn't go high enough to give privacy, and doesn't shut all the way, reducing privacy even more./QUOTE]

I have not read anything about the door not shutting all the way. Where did you see this?

C W Nov 23, 2017 10:19 am

Originally Posted by DLATL777 (Post 29092513)
Ding ding! We have a winner!

Is anyone else going to mention the Irony that delta ran away from the ATL-DXB route whining like a 6 year old child about "the evil ( far superior) Emirates" but has the audacity to try and compete with a similar premium product by calling it a "Suite". Hilarious Delta, you couldn't be anymore obtuse.

Are you actually comparing D1S to EK F?

Originally Posted by jdrtravel (Post 29092851)
I have not read anything about the door not shutting all the way. Where did you see this?

https://cimg7.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.fly...929b4f42c2.gif

CalebMCO Nov 23, 2017 10:54 am

Is there ANYONE on this thread who has actually flown in this seat? Thought not.