Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Is Delta Platinum/Diamond worth it, without upgrades?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Is Delta Platinum/Diamond worth it, without upgrades?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 22, 2017, 1:13 am

Programs: Delta 2M DM, Southwest A List and CP
Originally Posted by sdadept
no. Seriously, its just not. The GUCs are worthless now and that was probably the last real reason to be diamond anymore. The upside though is that its fairly liberating in that you can fly any airline instead of figuring a way to have your company pay up for Delta. Also, buying FCM fares on other airlines is typically cheaper so if you fly that way you can get where you want at the front of the bus any time.
I think many of us will stop being Diamond in 2019 when the inane $250K AmEx spending requirement hits. Since FCM was applied in earnest and my upgrade percentages dropped to next to nothing, I am already enjoying the freedom of choosing the airlines based on price and schedule convenience, and my Delta expenditures are now less than 25% of what they used to be. I believe I am not the only one in that position. Somehow I think this is going to be problematic for Delta when the next crisis hits and airlines are scrambling to fill their seats.
Old Nov 22, 2017, 5:53 am
Suspended

Programs: Delta Diamond, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, United Silver
Originally Posted by Eddie98
I will make DM just before Xmas for the first time. Being based out of ATL my upgrade possiblitlites are almost none. I do fly ATL-MLI and that's about the only route I get UG.
I hope I can use my GUC next year sometime. Hopefully to NRT or South America will be my main routes next year.
Upgrades in and out of Atlanta to the Caribbean and Mexico are pretty easy. I've never not landed one, even in peak season. There are plenty of data points of even gold and silver elites scoring an upgrade. I've occasionally seen empty seats because there's nobody left to upgrade, especially if you fly mid-week because many people go down on a Friday or Saturday for 7 days.
Old Nov 22, 2017, 5:55 am
Suspended

Programs: Delta Diamond, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, United Silver
Originally Posted by sdadept
Also, buying FCM fares on other airlines is typically cheaper so if you fly that way you can get where you want at the front of the bus any time.
I increasingly use pay with miles to bring paid domestic first-class airfares down to economy-class levels. In my opinion, this is one of the few good uses of Delta's miles since they don't publish an award chart any longer and many partner airlines are difficult to book. Plus, you can't redeem Delta miles for the few aspirational Sky Team products like Air France international first-class. So, you might as well redeem them with pay with miles.
Old Nov 22, 2017, 6:28 am

Still worth it

To me, it's still worth it. As Diamond or Platinum, you're pretty much guaranteed (if you book early enough) a seat in EC vs. "back of the bus". There is that slight chance of an upgrade, though I totally agree it's diminishing. But for me, the big perk is unlimited redeposit of award tickets and getting the miles back. My award travel is mostly to Las Vegas or Los Angeles for R+R from Louisville or Cincinnati, so I try to book months in advance, and if I end up not being able to go, I just cancel at least 3 days before the flight and get all my points back. For me, it's a huge perk. And using the 5-week calendar it's very easy to see when the best deals are available.
Old Nov 22, 2017, 6:35 am

Programs: DL DM, 1.5MM, NEXUS, Sky Club Lifetime, Admirals Club Lifetime, LowValueCustomer everywhere
I've had no problem using 8 GUC's this year and anticipate no problem using 4 next year. They were all cleared at booking for flights under 6 months out. BUT, I have a lot of flexibility. I request a starting date range of a couple of weeks, a duration and a route (usually ex-JFK). If there's nothing available I change the route and as a last resort, change the dates. I tie the dates to fare sales and slack periods and look for > $500 R/T tickets. I'll miss not having them when I drop to PM for 2019.

I'm at 85% this year for UG's on eligible flights (all V and X fares) with almost all of my misses ATL-LAX and LAX-ATL. I fly about 30 R/T's with 80-90 segments annually. A couple of weeks ago I was #1 of 86 for 3 seats (with an RUC) and ended up #1 for 0 on a 764. Like hockeyinsider I have the time and flexibility use creative routings and SDC's to boost MQM's and UG's. I'm also booked before the window opens so I get many of my UG's at the window. I've noticed that UG's at the window are decreasing which is good for the late bookers, but not for me.

What it boils down to is that the road warriors are really suffering with high load factors. If I were traveling with a need to minimize travel time, I'd be really upset since I don't think any domestic carrier is great for those who have to book coach for heavy travel with little scheduling flexibility. As far as FCM is concerned, I don't see any good offers as a DM and the new ticket characterization and rule changes make them a non-starter for me. I just finished booking my January and February travel and looked at GAP fares for every booking. They were 3 to 4 times what my usual V and X's were so I booked no GAP's even though I'd planned to do it for 2018 to get out of the UG lottery. Again, I'm lucky since I'm booking early and can always get my preferred C+ aisle seat. I'll hang in with DL since I only have 2 years to go to my 1MM.

As far as "Are DM / PM worth it without upgrades?" They are for me. I'll still get a good % of UG's, I'm able to use the RDM's at acceptable levels and the Award Ticket flexibility on awards is invaluable.
Old Nov 22, 2017, 7:31 am

My experience so far today made me feel the need to post in this thread again. This morning my wife and I woke up and took the tube to LHR. We used the Sky Priority Check-in lane for our luggage. We then went upstairs to the Virgin Atlantic Upper Class Security Lane where we were exactly 3rd in line. We then went to the Clubhouse where we ate a full hot breakfast, sipped Irish coffees, and got a free massage at the spa. We then boarded our 76L and sat in 17A+17B with so much legroom my feet can't even reach the bulkhead for our 8.5 hour flight to MSP. When we get to MSP we'll connect to our flight home where we've had a confirmed upgrade to first for 5 days now. All of this on a V class economy fare because I'm a PM. But sure....it's not worth anything at all /s
Old Nov 22, 2017, 7:44 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by shipitkthx
My experience so far today made me feel the need to post in this thread again. This morning my wife and I woke up and took the tube to LHR. We used the Sky Priority Check-in lane for our luggage. We then went upstairs to the Virgin Atlantic Upper Class Security Lane where we were exactly 3rd in line. We then went to the Clubhouse where we ate a full hot breakfast, sipped Irish coffees, and got a free massage at the spa. We then boarded our 76L and sat in 17A+17B with so much legroom my feet can't even reach the bulkhead for our 8.5 hour flight to MSP. When we get to MSP we'll connect to our flight home where we've had a confirmed upgrade to first for 5 days now. All of this on a V class economy fare because I'm a PM. But sure....it's not worth anything at all /s
When I flew out of London two weeks ago on an economy ticket they wouldn't let me use the dedicated Virgin upper-class security checkpoint. I had to use the general Heathrow security checkpoint, which didn't have a priority lane. It took 40 minutes to get through, which only left me 40 minutes in the excellent Virgin lounge. Nonetheless, I managed to get three glasses of good English sparkling wine (as good as many French champagnes).
Old Nov 22, 2017, 7:53 am

Originally Posted by hockeyinsider
When I flew out of London two weeks ago on an economy ticket they wouldn't let me use the dedicated Virgin upper-class security checkpoint. I had to use the general Heathrow security checkpoint, which didn't have a priority lane. It took 40 minutes to get through, which only left me 40 minutes in the excellent Virgin lounge. Nonetheless, I managed to get three glasses of good English sparkling wine (as good as many French champagnes).
Did you scan your boarding pass at the door to the Upper Class Wing?
Old Nov 22, 2017, 8:35 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by shipitkthx
Did you scan your boarding pass at the door to the Upper Class Wing?
Stupid me, I didn't try. The check-in counter agent just told me I couldn't use it, so I didn't try.
Old Nov 22, 2017, 9:52 am

Programs: DL Diamond and Million Miler, Marriott Titanium Elite, Hertz Pres Circle
This thread couldn't have come at a more opportune time. I'll be 13,418 miles short of Diamond this year. I've already hit the AMEX MQD waiver. I was debating whether I should make a mileage run, probably to NRT for one night and then come back, just to hit Diamond this year. The fare is high, but as others have said, I would use PWM to reduce the ticket price. But it sounds like it may not be worth it, despite the perks that do come with DM. I may be better off rolling over about 36,000 miles to next year, where I'm sure I'd hit PM again. I remember when having top tier status meant a lot, specifically when I made PM years ago and it was the top tier.
Old Nov 22, 2017, 10:11 am

Programs: DL DM PM
Originally Posted by tonypct
This thread couldn't have come at a more opportune time. I'll be 13,418 miles short of Diamond this year. I've already hit the AMEX MQD waiver. I was debating whether I should make a mileage run, probably to NRT for one night and then come back, just to hit Diamond this year. The fare is high, but as others have said, I would use PWM to reduce the ticket price. But it sounds like it may not be worth it, despite the perks that do come with DM. I may be better off rolling over about 36,000 miles to next year, where I'm sure I'd hit PM again. I remember when having top tier status meant a lot, specifically when I made PM years ago and it was the top tier.
On the other hand, if you rely on the AMEX waiver and don't make MQD, this could be the last possible year for you to make Diamond... no more GUCS!
Old Nov 22, 2017, 10:18 am

Programs: DL Diamond and Million Miler, Marriott Titanium Elite, Hertz Pres Circle
Originally Posted by NotHamSarnie
On the other hand, if you rely on the AMEX waiver and don't make MQD, this could be the last possible year for you to make Diamond... no more GUCS!
That is an excellent point. And I did consider that and it still weighs heavily on my decision. Oh what to do; what to do! :-)
Old Nov 22, 2017, 10:26 am

Programs: DL Diamond, Marriott LT Plat, HH Diamond, Avis Preferred Plus, National Executive
Originally Posted by hockeyinsider
I was flying on a M fare between BWI and DTW two weeks ago. I was number 4 for 3 open first-class seats, as a diamond with the American Express Reserve card and my spending threshold met. I didn't get the upgrade. First time this year my upgrade hasn't cleared.
Must be nice. I am 40% as a Diamond. The PBI-ATL-PBI route is a non starter for an UG. I was rcently #12 on the UG list for 0 seats ATL-PBI.
It's the only airline that fits the needs of my travel patterns (10-12 flights per day PBI-ATL) so I am kind of stuck.
If I want F I just buy it which is exactly what DL wants.
Old Nov 22, 2017, 10:27 am

Programs: DL 2MM PM;VSGld;EKGld; HilDia; HrtzPC; AvisPC; PP; AmbPlt; JumeiGld; MeliaPlt; TajPlt; ShangriDia
Ah yes, I remember the good old days where I flew a decade with NWA and missed upgrades on only about a dozen flight segments. The lack of current upgrades caused me over the past three years to give up striving for status and to simply start booking more convenient flights regardless of carrier. However, this year I started with silver and was surprised to just requalify for Diamond, but I did it all on discounted domestic UP fares and some cheap international Z fares. I just figured that status upgrades have become too hard to come by on Delta. Recently I flew LAX-HNL; the Monday morning flight was showing zero seats in FC for the last six weeks and it departed with no upgrades and over 20 on the wait list.
tonypct likes this.

Last edited by LAXRuss; Nov 22, 2017 at 10:32 am
Old Nov 22, 2017, 10:39 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by apodo77
If I want F I just buy it which is exactly what DL wants.
Look, I'm all for upgrades but I also don't think anyone should count on getting something they're not paying for. It doesn't necessarily bother me that I didn't get the upgrade if there are zero seats. What bothers me is when (1) the upgrades aren't done correctly, (2) seats go out empty or with non-revenue passengers in the seat, (3) Delta plays games and sells an upgrade for $50 or whatever to someone with non-elite status but doesn't offer the same buy-up to an elite, and (4) when upgrade instruments never clear.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.