Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Is Delta Platinum/Diamond worth it, without upgrades?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Is Delta Platinum/Diamond worth it, without upgrades?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 20, 2017, 12:07 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta Diamond, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, United Silver
I was flying on a M fare between BWI and DTW two weeks ago. I was number 4 for 3 open first-class seats, as a diamond with the American Express Reserve card and my spending threshold met. I didn't get the upgrade. First time this year my upgrade hasn't cleared.
Old Nov 20, 2017, 4:01 pm

Programs: Delta Gold, Delta 1MM, Amtrak Guest Rewards, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Gold
I've been Gold for several years now, coming down from a couple years of Platinum. I'm a strictly domestic traveler out of MSP. For me, Gold is fine. I get to choose some nice seats, frequently get upgraded to Comfort+, and a rare first class upgrade when I end up with a big dollar ticket. The single most important thing to me is when I need to call the Medallion line and get flights changed. It's not frequent, but when I do it is often last minute. (note-big dollar ticket). They do a great job.
So, what meets your needs? With most of my flights not being more than 4 hours, my expectations are low. Those of you that have the trans-continental dreams, I can see concern.

PP
Old Nov 20, 2017, 7:31 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Marriott Amb, Hertz PC, Natl EE
I'm Diamond but just barely, so not the most valuable customer but I make the cut based on current and next year's rules. That being said, the main benefit to me are the GUC and they are literally a PITA to use. I'm very flexible and can't find a single TPAC confirmable upgrade available from 300-331 days out, that's ridiculous. I'm not playing the lottery with a 12+ hour flight. The "benefit" generates more angst than positive feelings towards Delta.
Old Nov 21, 2017, 4:03 am

Originally Posted by DL Platinum
I agree with you, especially on the upgrades. I can't count the number of times I've been #1 for the upgrade with 0 seats available. Even using the RUC hasn't helped. Hard to upgrade when their are no seats to upgrade to. That said, I will once again hit diamond, but I don't expect much for 2018. I've gotten used to just paying for the "upgrade" (WFBF) to an A fare. Actually kinda like it as it gives me great flexibility with SDC to change to other more acceptable flights.
I have lifetime "annual gold" status from hitting 2 million mile a decade ago, and most likely will get lifetime annual platinum sometime in 2019 when I hit 4 million miles. That said, Platinum is the new silver. Silver and gold really don't "get" much any more. Priority boarding, a free checked bag, and maybe C+, but I expect that will change too as all diamonds will (are) be relegated to C+ pushing the others to back cabin. Loyalty and benefits are no longer equated.
Loyalty air travel has really changed.
I started this year with no status and am currently a PM (2 95% earned MQM boosts away from DM). Silver and Gold both have 1 important benefit each. For silver, the ability to book exit row in advance is a godsend and I feel like most people who have had status for any amount of time completely forget that you can't do this without it. Gold seems "meh" if you only fly domestic but Skyteam Elite+ has some fringe benefits internationally. I flew out of MXP (Milan) earlier this year and I absolutely would have missed my flight without access to the E+ security lanes. We arrived 2 hours before our flight and had to sprint to our gate after clearing security and still barely made it. In the normal line we never would have stood a chance.
MountainGuy likes this.
Old Nov 21, 2017, 7:40 am

Programs: DL DM, HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by CommentatusMaximus
I'm Diamond but just barely, so not the most valuable customer but I make the cut based on current and next year's rules. That being said, the main benefit to me are the GUC and they are literally a PITA to use. I'm very flexible and can't find a single TPAC confirmable upgrade available from 300-331 days out, that's ridiculous. I'm not playing the lottery with a 12+ hour flight. The "benefit" generates more angst than positive feelings towards Delta.
Exactly this. I've been shut out on a waitlisted GUC twice this year and will probably have them expire.
Old Nov 21, 2017, 7:47 am
C W

Programs: DL PM, AS MVP 75K, HH/SPG/MR Gold, Amex Plat, PRG, CSR
PM is worth it to me with almost no domestic flying, thus very few flights on which to upgrade.

I make extensive use of the award ticket cancellation/change fee waiver. Sky Priority, STE+ lounge access, and VS Clubhouse access are all valuable to me. There's also a pretty big gap between GM and PM in terms of phone service and IRROPs handling. While I'm flying more and more in J and PE, I still really value C+ at time of booking, it makes a huge difference when flying TATL in economy despite all the whining naysayers.
Old Nov 21, 2017, 7:51 am
Suspended

Programs: DL DM, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Platinum, etc etc etc
Originally Posted by dilbertsdaddy
Increased earnings and choice benefits are still a good perk.

IMO the GUC/RUC are more trouble than they are worth.

My upgrade % as DM is still pretty good. But if you are flying hub to hub alot your results will be worse.

Maybe keep plugging until you get lifetime PM?
recent ATL-MSP flight on an MD, I was number 23 with 0 seats as a PM (total list was i believe 82). Now thats depressing for hub to hub
Old Nov 21, 2017, 8:22 am

Programs: DL DM, SPG Plat 100/LT Gold, Marriott Plat, National Executive Elite
Originally Posted by hockeystl
Free cancel/redeposit of SM on award bookings as a PM is pretty much the most valuable benefit to me now that UG's are down to the 30% range for me out of STL as a PM.
Agreed that the award redeposit waiver is nice - but still stinks that a 72 hour notice is required to cancel. This was an "enhancement" of recent years.

Note that AA allows EXPs a waiver of award redeposits as long as the ticket hasn't expired. So much better than DL's silly 72 hour rule. Also, same day confirm is gravy at AA for awards - but with DL, if you call for a SDC on a main cabin award, you will almost certainly end up on the standby list only for the flight you want (with almost no chance of any upgrade clearing)
Old Nov 21, 2017, 8:26 am

Programs: DL DM, SPG Plat 100/LT Gold, Marriott Plat, National Executive Elite
Originally Posted by hockeyinsider
I was flying on a M fare between BWI and DTW two weeks ago. I was number 4 for 3 open first-class seats, as a diamond with the American Express Reserve card and my spending threshold met. I didn't get the upgrade. First time this year my upgrade hasn't cleared.
Was your ticket purchased after the comp UG window opened? And/or were you flying on a Thursday afternoon?

I find that tickets secured outside the 120 hour UG window have better chances at the UG, especially on business-heavy routes - because by the time you get to the gate, half the upgrades have been given out ahead of time, and then there are at least 5 DMs on K or higher fares because of a ticket they bought in the last 48 hours.

I recently sat next to a PM whose UG cleared on a Thursday flight into ATL ahead of time. My full Y ticket went to the gate and cleared there, but almost didn't.
Old Nov 21, 2017, 8:27 am
Suspended

Programs: Delta Diamond, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, United Silver
Originally Posted by vincentharris
recent ATL-MSP flight on an MD, I was number 23 with 0 seats as a PM (total list was i believe 82). Now thats depressing for hub to hub
As a diamond, I've never not had upgrades clear on flights between MSP and DTW. But upgrades between DTW and ATL can be very, very difficult. I'd rather fly ATL-FNT-MSP-DTW than ATL-DTW.

On the whole, as everyone knows, upgrades are getting more difficult but they are still very easy if you take creative routing, like connecting through RDU instead of DTW-DCA.
Old Nov 21, 2017, 8:28 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by btonkid12345
Was your ticket purchased after the comp UG window opened? And/or were you flying on a Thursday afternoon?

I find that tickets secured outside the 120 hour UG window have better chances at the UG, especially on business-heavy routes - because by the time you get to the gate, half the upgrades have been given out ahead of time, and then there are at least 5 DMs on K or higher fares because of a ticket they bought in the last 48 hours.

I recently sat next to a PM whose UG cleared on a Thursday flight into ATL ahead of time. My full Y ticket went to the gate and cleared there, but almost didn't.
Thursday evening flight, ticket purchased about 1 week before departure.
Old Nov 21, 2017, 8:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA CONCIERGE KEY & 1MM, HILTON DIAMOND
Originally Posted by hockeyinsider
On the whole, as everyone knows, upgrades are getting more difficult but they are still very easy if you take creative routing, like connecting through RDU instead of DTW-DCA.
Bingo!
Old Nov 21, 2017, 5:21 pm

Programs: HH-Diamond, IHG-Plat, DL-DM, PnF Plat, Kroger +
I will make DM just before Xmas for the first time. Being based out of ATL my upgrade possiblitlites are almost none. I do fly ATL-MLI and that's about the only route I get UG.
I hope I can use my GUC next year sometime. Hopefully to NRT or South America will be my main routes next year.
Old Nov 21, 2017, 5:22 pm

Programs: HH-Diamond, IHG-Plat, DL-DM, PnF Plat, Kroger +
delete it

Last edited by Eddie98; Nov 21, 2017 at 5:25 pm Reason: double
Old Nov 21, 2017, 9:35 pm

Programs: Diamond Medallion, Delta Million Miler, Hyatt Globalist
no. Seriously, its just not. The GUCs are worthless now and that was probably the last real reason to be diamond anymore. The upside though is that its fairly liberating in that you can fly any airline instead of figuring a way to have your company pay up for Delta. Also, buying FCM fares on other airlines is typically cheaper so if you fly that way you can get where you want at the front of the bus any time.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.