GUC Struggles (Delta Agents)

Old Nov 19, 17, 1:51 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Delta 1 Million Miler, Delta DM, Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz President's Circle
GUC Struggles (Delta Agents)

After a particularly frustrating round of phone calls regarding GUCs I am trying to apply to a trip in December, it got me to wondering how widespread the problem truly is and what other DMs experience when trying to apply these certificates. I will say upfront - this is the first time I’ve had an issue with the correct handling of the certificates by a phone agent since the inception of the benefit, but this has been a cluster, so it’s kind of erasing the good memories I’ve had in the past.

Booked my trip in October for a flight in December that involves DTW-ICN and ICN-DTW legs. Called the Diamond desk to apply 2 GUCs (only requesting their application for the transpacific portions of my total itinerary). Agent checked availability, saw none, and said I’d have to be waitlisted. No problem, I said. So far, so good. She came back and said, “you have 8 GUCs, so plenty to waitlist for this flight.” I informed her I only had two left unused, but still exactly enough for this itinerary (I began the calendar year with 8 total - I have successfully used 6). That seemed to throw her off as she still insisted I had 8 available for use. I let her click clack away at the keyboard, and she came back and told me I was waitlisted for D1 on both the legs I requested. Having no choice but to believe her, I thanked her and hung up.

Immediately logged into My Trips in my profile on a computer (specifically not the app so I could see everything clearly) and clicked on the ICN itinerary. Zero changes to how it looked prior to my call. The transpacific legs still said “not complimentary upgrade eligible” and had no mention of my GUCs being waitlisted (as I have seen written online in the past in all my other successful GUC uses).

Called the Diamond desk back (effectively doing HUCA) and bluntly told the new agent that I didn’t think the last agent I just spoke with knew what she was doing and could he please double check her work. He informed me he saw absolutely zero changes or notes or waitlists or anything in my ICN itinerary and it was as if I had “never made my original call” a moment ago to the other agent. I was baffled by what she was doing click clacking away on her keyboard for minutes on end but didn’t bother to ask as the new agent couldn’t say anyway. So I restarted the process with him and asked him to apply the GUCs. He moved through the process quickly and seemed confident in what he was doing. He also verified no current inventory and that he would waitlist me for both transpacific segments. No problem. After hanging up with this agent, I log back into My Trips. I see what I expect to see - “upgrade waitlisted” - but only next to the DTW-ICN leg. A brand new entry ICN-DTW was created in the itinerary that now said “cabin: Delta One, seat: not assigned, upgrade waitlisted, class OY.” I have never seen this ever before in all my uses of GUCs in any year. My original seats in Comfort+ for both DTW-ICN and ICN-DTW still appear as confirmed in the itinerary.

My fear now is that the ICN-DTW waitlisted upgrade somehow got entered as a mileage upgrade request since that’s what OY is used for as opposed to OU for the GUCs. How the heck did that happen on the same call where the agent correctly handled one GUC and mishandled the second? I still need to call the Diamond desk back to address this (if FT agrees that’s the kind of upgrade I’m looking at), but I just couldn’t bare a third call for a simple, published benefit.

Whether true or not, this experience along with others I’ve heard here and elsewhere leads me to believe that even now, years into GUCs, agents are poorly trained. As only DMs receive this benefit, I find it odd and troubling that these agents for the top tier fliers mishandle such important benefits. If only Delta allowed us, the customer, to manage these online like complimentary domestic upgrades, I think a lot of this wasted time, effort, and frustration could be avoided.

What are your other personal experiences trying to apply/use GUCs, and what do you think is the root cause of this problem?
DiverDave, wxman22 and hi55us like this.

Last edited by DLDiamond2013; Nov 19, 17 at 1:59 pm
Old Nov 19, 17, 2:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
At this time the GUC success thread has over 2,500 posts.
youvesaiditall likes this.
Old Nov 19, 17, 2:25 pm

Programs: DL DM MM
It's probably ok. People (me included) report seeing the GUC waitlist displayed both ways you see in your reservation. OY is a GUC upgrade - the code changed a few months ago.
Old Nov 19, 17, 6:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, TR 7*, Marriott Tit, UA Gold
Mileage and cert upgrades both book into OY/RY (fomerly OP/RP).

OU/RU are for comp Medallion upgrades.
Old Nov 20, 17, 7:38 am

Programs: DL DM/MM, IHG/SPG/MR Plat, HH Gold, UA Silver, EK Kettle, AA Hater
If this is the first time you have had a problem then you should go buy a lottery ticket immediately as you are the luckiest person I know!

This program is completely broken.

Sounds like the latest agent may have done it correctly.
DiverDave and sdadept like this.
Old Nov 20, 17, 8:21 am

Programs: Delta DM, AS MVP Gold 75K
I successfully used my 4 for my wife and I LAX-AMS-CPT round trip in May. Got the dates initially requested without having to check other airports and/or days. Was on the phone for 30 minutes and it was done. Call it luck or whatever you want but I prepared for the worst and got the best. Hope things work out for you.

OPS
Old Nov 21, 17, 10:36 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Delta 1 Million Miler, Delta DM, Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz President's Circle
Originally Posted by 3Cforme View Post
At this time the GUC success thread has over 2,500 posts.
LOL touché.
Old Nov 21, 17, 10:37 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by NotHamSarnie View Post
It's probably ok. People (me included) report seeing the GUC waitlist displayed both ways you see in your reservation. OY is a GUC upgrade - the code changed a few months ago.
Thanks. Missed the change in code news.
Old Nov 21, 17, 11:46 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, AS Gold, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton/Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by dilbertsdaddy View Post

This program is completely broken.
Totally agreed. If you are lucky to get upgraded into OY/RY, just pray that there is no irop as Delta Agents (Diamond Desk/Gate Agent) will rebook you in "purchased class of service." It happened to me on both legs of the SFO/SIN trip (one was a mechanical delay that forced me to miss the flight to NRT, and on the return flight, Delta cancelled the SIN-NRT flight
wxman22 likes this.
Old Nov 22, 17, 3:42 am

Programs: Delta DM, IHG Spire, Hertz PC, H.com Gold^3, lowly something on others...
I am with OP on this. I have a hard time using my GUCs. I am OK with someone paying or mile-up, Delta has to make money... but of my frequent routes to Asia, I've seen time and time again non-rev employees goes in front of GUCs. I don't care what people tell me that's the other way around - my personal experience is always the opposite.

I call Diamond desk and usually there is no seat, so I am waitlisted. 2 hr until departure, there are like 14 open D1 seats on a 777. I call Diamond desk and ask why I haven't been cleared, they said seat is under airport control. I then speak to the GA and ask why I haven't been activated if there are 14 open and her reply - we have a lot of non-rev employees and their families on this flight... The story is very consistent, time after time.

Delta IT may think they are a very tight system, but near departure time, the GA has nearly full control over seats... One time the stupid C+ upgrade bumped me from row 44 aisle seat to mid of mid in C+, even I had that segment opt out. I spoke to the GA and the seat history show I was in row 44 and system pushed me to mid of mid C+, twice, but my original seat was occupied. She asked if I would be OK if she block an entire row for me, but it would the last row, near the restrooms. I said "no...I am surprised you would consider putting a Diamond in the last row". She goes "I figured..." then started to bump the passenger out of my original row 44 seat and put me in that seat. She then made a PA for that pax to pick up his new BP. With this much control, they can give out D1 seat to anyone... On time, I literally watch the GA boarded plane to a D1 seat and had a chat with the passenger and based on the conversation, the upgraded pax was a family friend.

Delta has good benefits on paper, but their IT is so screwed up on implementation, it's just crazy. We are at a point that no-status customer can buy a ticket and select a decent aisle or window seat of his/her liking and it stays that way, while us DM/PM have to constantly watch out for unwanted upgrade and then try to get original seat back. i am really tired of this.
wxman22 and sdadept like this.
Old Nov 22, 17, 10:38 am
Original Poster

I 100% believe that you’ve been in situations where non-revs got D1 seats ahead of GUCs, but that is just a shame. Of course GUCs should be ahead of non-revs. But I agree GAs have a lot of power in that 1 hour-ish prior to any departure.
Old Nov 22, 17, 3:05 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by Zorak View Post
Mileage and cert upgrades both book into OY/RY (fomerly OP/RP).

OU/RU are for comp Medallion upgrades.
Correct.

BTW, I've seen the "no seat assigned" version on reservations. At first I thought it meant that the upgrade had cleared, but it was apparently just a way of doing the waitlist.
Old Nov 22, 17, 3:16 pm

Programs: Delta DM, AS MVP Gold 75K
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist View Post
Correct.

BTW, I've seen the "no seat assigned" version on reservations. At first I thought it meant that the upgrade had cleared, but it was apparently just a way of doing the waitlist.
Since you mention this I'm a little curious about the situation I'm in; while not the exact same it's a little similar. According to the agent I talked to when I booked my trip, my GUC's cleared all the flights and she said I was good to go. I was able to select my seats when I went on the KLM website. However, when I log onto my DL account the option to "Select seat" is still showing in the details of my trip. I guess when I look up the trip via KLM it's showing the seats I selected and that's probably a good thing since all flights are on their metal. Any reason to worry here or am I good with the seats I've selected?

OPS
Old Nov 22, 17, 6:51 pm
Moderator, Delta Skymiles and Mileage Run

Programs: DL Diamond, Hyatt Diamond, former AS MVPG 75K, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Gold
I've found great success in using Twitter to DM them. Send them a quick DM to check if it's coded correctly.
Old Nov 22, 17, 9:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DM life is over 2MM PM now & NW MillionAir Wyndham Rewards Plat -Hotels.com Silver -Accor Silver
Originally Posted by wlau View Post
I've seen time and time again non-rev employees goes in front of GUCs.

I then speak to the GA and ask why I haven't been activated if there are 14 open and her reply - we have a lot of non-rev employees and their families on this flight... The story is very consistent, time after time.
Knowing that GUC UGs are supposed to come before nonrevs, did you inquire and / or escalate this at the airport?

Search this Thread
Search Engine: