Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Flying Xiamen Air as SkyTeam Elite Plus

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Flying Xiamen Air as SkyTeam Elite Plus

Search this Thread

Old Nov 23, 2017, 4:36 pm

Programs: VA-PLT, QF-GLD, DL-GM, UA-ex1K, AA-exPLT, HH-DM, IHG-PLT, MR-GLD
I'm interested in the 'fairly new' 757s they have!

Thanks for the detailed review.
Old Mar 24, 2018, 7:13 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Delta DM, IHG Spire, Hertz PC, H.com Gold^3, lowly something on others...
Similar story yesterday that I took a Xiamen Air flight from TPE but this time it was connected at XMN (Xiamen Air's main hub). It was one of the worst transfer experience I can recall with any ST airlines. XMN airport is fairly small, so international arrival takes just a few gates of an otherwise connected concourse. We were sent to clear custom and there were only 6 or 7 agents and the lines were incredibly long. These was no expedite lines for APEC, so you wait in general line. Each custom officer takes their sweet time with each pax, even using jeweler magnifier to inspect the passport. The fingerprinting process is a 3-pass procedure, left, right, both thumbs, but the machine is incredibly slow and error prone. I waited over an hour to clear custom, at a time with just 2 international arrivals, both were half-full 737-800.

Once I cleared custom and got my luggage, I followed the "transfer" sign and queue (insanely long), but there is nothing "transfer" about it - it simply lead you through the common exit. Belongings were x-ray'ed and inspected to exit. Once I exited the custom area, I walked into the terminal area. Following "transfer" signs lead me to domestic and international check-in, and my bag was rechecked... I then had to re-clear security, x-ray, etc...which also had super long lines. And again, no special line for Sky Priority or APEC. All said and done, nearly 2 hours gone! When I mentioned about this, the Sky Priority check-in agent confirm it's a really bad experience because the airport was never build for international arrivals and transfers, and that it wasn't the first pax complained. She said this is the reason they bake in a minimal 3 hr connecting here...

I quickly checked out the Xiamen lounge here (only had 15 min before my departing flight) and they had very sparsely laid out food items. All of which were not stuff westerners would enjoy. They had bamboo chicken soup (bone fragments included), or red-bean soup... and I did get a black squid ink bread, that was basically a intensely black colored bread roll, it's got an interesting flavor and supposedly a local specialty. I liked the soup but it's too medicinal for westerners. The best part was actually the candies - they had local specialties like various Chinese peanut brittle candies. Those were soooooo amazing, I took the candies and ate them on the flight. Had I known how good it wasted, it would have bought some at the airport stores.

I probably would not do another connecting flight at the Xiamen airport, unless the fare is super super cheap and I have no urgent business to attend to. Fuzhou airport had better transfer experience and it would use that airport if I fly another Xiamen connecting into China.

Flight experience was great! Very nice and warm service and incredibly beautiful flight attendants. I am really amazed how well Xiamen pick and train their flight attendants. Food was tasty and amply for 2 short flights. They put me in 1st row economy for ST Plus status and it had plenty of leg room. Both aircraft was nearly new 737 with Sky Interior, super impressive compare to DL's old birds.
Old Mar 25, 2018, 4:28 am
Suspended

Programs: Delta Diamond, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, United Silver
Originally Posted by wlau
And again, no special line for Sky Priority or APEC. All said and done, nearly 2 hours gone! When I mentioned about this, the Sky Priority check-in agent confirm it's a really bad experience because the airport was never build for international arrivals and transfers, and that it wasn't the first pax complained.
You mean there were no Sky Priority lanes at security or no lanes at check-in? Please clarify.

Flight experience was great! Very nice and warm service and incredibly beautiful flight attendants. I am really amazed how well Xiamen pick and train their flight attendants.
All of the airlines in that part of the world seem to have young, beautiful flight attendants. I gather it's quite a prestigious job as most of them have to be reasonably well-educated to speak English. I've seen some beautiful flight attendants at Malaysian, Garuda Indonesia and even the low-cost carrier Firefly -- to say nothing of Singapore. I've always read that most of these young ladies only work for 2-4 years.

Food was tasty and amply for 2 short flights. They put me in 1st row economy for ST Plus status and it had plenty of leg room. Both aircraft was nearly new 737 with Sky Interior, super impressive compare to DL's old birds.
No upgrade options, complimentary or paid? Any wine served?
Old Mar 25, 2018, 1:17 pm
Suspended

Programs: A3, TK *G; JL JGC; SPG,Hilton Gold

Originally Posted by hockeyinsider
All of the airlines in that part of the world seem to have young, beautiful flight attendants. I gather it's quite a prestigious job as most of them have to be reasonably well-educated to speak English. I've seen some beautiful flight attendants at Malaysian, Garuda Indonesia and even the low-cost carrier Firefly -- to say nothing of Singapore. I've always read that most of these young ladies only work for 2-4 years.
yes- and unlike modern day slavery i could care less about how pretty the girls/boys look. Safety is the key annd cut smoking in the cockpit, please (all airlines from china has this bloody problem)
Old Mar 26, 2018, 5:42 am

Programs: Delta PM
Similar story yesterday that I took a Xiamen Air flight from TPE but this time it was connected at XMN (Xiamen Air's main hub). It was one of the worst transfer experience I can recall with any ST airlines. XMN airport is fairly small, so international arrival takes just a few gates of an otherwise connected concourse. We were sent to clear custom and there were only 6 or 7 agents and the lines were incredibly long. These was no expedite lines for APEC, so you wait in general line. Each custom officer takes their sweet time with each pax, even using jeweler magnifier to inspect the passport. The fingerprinting process is a 3-pass procedure, left, right, both thumbs, but the machine is incredibly slow and error prone. I waited over an hour to clear custom, at a time with just 2 international arrivals, both were half-full 737-800.
Thanks for your description of XMN transfer. I'd been thinking about it, since I read the Xiamen's inlfight service is very good.
But I couldn't handle a three hour transfer process.
Old Apr 25, 2018, 12:22 am
Original Poster

Programs: Delta DM, IHG Spire, Hertz PC, H.com Gold^3, lowly something on others...
Originally Posted by hockeyinsider
You mean there were no Sky Priority lanes at security or no lanes at check-in? Please clarify.

No upgrade options, complimentary or paid? Any wine served?

Yes, no expedited line at security or custom. The check-in area has a dedicated side (not just a few desk) for Sky Priority. You will waste bulk of your time in security check and custom, at least that's what I spent most of my time. PVG is one of the worst in China, but this makes PVG look fast.

737 only had 2 rows of F and rest economy. I got the ufree pgrade to the preferred economy which is the first few rows. The flights were only 1-1.5 hr in air, so beer is available but no wine. I was happy to have a hot meal after I didn't have time to eat after wasting all that time in customer and security lines.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.