Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Delta One Expands to JFK- SEA/SAN/LAS, ATL-HNL and MSP-HNL, No Medallion Upgrades

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 20, 2017, 12:55 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Zorak
Delta News Hub link:

Delta One service, amenities take flight in select long-haul domestic markets

key points:
  • new routes: Boston and Los Angeles; New York-JFK and San Diego, Seattle; New York-JFK and Las Vegas, starting May 1, 2018
  • not all flights on those routes will have D1 service (see linked news item for a table)
  • Delta One will also become the premium offering April 1, 2018, on the following routes with one scheduled daily flight each: Atlanta and Honolulu; Minneapolis and Honolulu
  • domestic D1 flights will be eligible for comp Medallion upgrades beginning April 1st, 2018
Print Wikipost

Delta One Expands to JFK- SEA/SAN/LAS, ATL-HNL and MSP-HNL, No Medallion Upgrades

Search this Thread

Old Nov 19, 2017, 10:41 pm

Programs: AS 100K, DL MM, AA PLT
Amusing to see all the heated debate on whether these routes will work or not. The old timers among us will recognize these cities as those that used to have "Business Elite US" service back in the early 2000s--save PDX, which DL has since abandoned as its TPAC gateway. It's all an aircraft utilization game. Once DL finds transatlantic destinations that are better uses of these birds, it will be back to domestic F for everything but SFO/LAX...
Old Nov 20, 2017, 5:00 am
Suspended

Programs: Delta Diamond, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, United Silver
Originally Posted by DA201
Also seems like BOS-LAX is getting D1. Like BOS-SFO D1, this seems like a move being done to stop the bleeding B6 is causing at BOS. DL didn't care when the leisure passengers switched, but they are mad the premium ones are going too. This route will probably do well because there should be enough demand to support B6 and DL. However, I think it will not stop passengers from switching allegiances.
If I was Boston-based, I would probably switch to JetBlue for all of my flying outside of flights to Asia. That's because JetBlue's new partnership with Portugal's TAP means I can fly to pretty much anywhere in Western Europe in a decent business-class via a connection in Lisbon.

Delta has made too many negative changes and devaluations. It doesn't even reward top-spending customers because it limits how many miles you can get based on the price of the ticket (meaning those who spend the most are actually penalized). Unfortunately, I am basically hub-captive and have too much invested with Delta to switch right now.
Old Nov 20, 2017, 5:04 am
Suspended

Programs: Delta Diamond, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, United Silver
Originally Posted by CaliguyNYC
I fly these routes a fair amount as well as JFK-LAX. Glad they are going lie flat but the D1 service, I don't know. I already am sick of the D1 JFK-LAX/SFO menu. Now more of my flights with be the same old same old meals. What I like about F meals are that they always change and even have ethnic food sometimes.
I don't understand why lie-flat is such a big deal on a domestic flight in the middle of the afternoon. I could see having lie-flat for the red-eye flight to New York or the 7-8 a.m. departure to Los Angeles, but who actually sleeps when the flight lands in Los Angeles or New York at 5 p.m.?
Old Nov 20, 2017, 5:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Erasmus
Amusing to see all the heated debate on whether these routes will work or not. The old timers among us will recognize these cities as those that used to have "Business Elite US" service back in the early 2000s--save PDX, which DL has since abandoned as its TPAC gateway. It's all an aircraft utilization game. Once DL finds transatlantic destinations that are better uses of these birds, it will be back to domestic F for everything but SFO/LAX...
Well, there were no significant TATL ULCC's back then. The TATL ULCC's don't seem to be going anywhere and have been adding a number of new US cities in recent years. UA recently announced they would be putting more focus on smaller cities in the US due to depressed yields on international routes. I wouldn't be too confident that the TATL yields will ever return to the levels seen prior to ULCC growth. Maybe at some point in the future they'll have the same sort of issues with pilot recruitment/retention/pay that seems to be hitting Ryanair right now. Who knows.

Last edited by xliioper; Nov 20, 2017 at 6:03 am
Old Nov 20, 2017, 6:44 am
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
Originally Posted by hockeyinsider
I don't understand why lie-flat is such a big deal on a domestic flight in the middle of the afternoon. I could see having lie-flat for the red-eye flight to New York or the 7-8 a.m. departure to Los Angeles, but who actually sleeps when the flight lands in Los Angeles or New York at 5 p.m.?
Even if you don't sleep, it's still more personal space. How important that is will vary for each person of course.
Old Nov 20, 2017, 6:49 am

Programs: DL PM, Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by hockeyinsider

It's not just about sleeping. The seats are significantly more comfortable for working or relaxing. They have a lot more privacy. Even if you are not sleeping, you can stretch out, put your feet up, be comfortable.

Also, some people might want to sleep in the middle of the day. They could have just gotten off a TATL flight and be exhausted, or had a really busy few days and pulled all nighters leading up to the flight. Or not feel well, or just want to take a nap. Surprising I know, but it turns out, hockeyinsider, that not everyone is just like you.
ijgordon and Alphazone like this.
Old Nov 20, 2017, 7:23 am

https://thepointsguy.com/2017/11/fre...stic-upgrades/

TPG is under the impression that domestic Delta One flights will get complimentary upgrades starting in April!
Old Nov 20, 2017, 7:29 am
In memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DM life is over 2MM PM now & NW MillionAir Wyndham Rewards Plat -Hotels.com Silver -Accor Silver
I take back EVERYTHING I said above about nonrevs LUVVVVVVVIN this . . . .

Big news: Medallion upgrades soon available for all domestic Delta One flights

Yay!
Old Nov 20, 2017, 7:31 am

Yes, very good news.

My prediction is that the other shoe to drop will be that all advanced upgrades will eventually go away and become day of departure upgrades, at least for everyone except DM's.
Old Nov 20, 2017, 8:18 am

Originally Posted by jdrtravel
I think SAN could work:

1) It's debatable if the B6 product is really better. If it's better, it's not significantly so.
2) The strong and growing clean energy economy in SAN may very well have a lot of folks who will be interested in maintaining status on a global program. B6 is fine for domestic service, but if you are going to choose one program and you need to travel internationally, there's just no competition. With DL you can now fly to Europe in a D1 cabin the entire way, with an easy connection at JFK.
3)DL can still deliver a level of reliability, especially during IRROPS, that B6 can't match, which is also important for business travel.

I think SAN could work too considering considering it's only 1 daily flight that's already lie flat.

For 2), B6 will most likely start flying to Europe in second half of 2019. And their fares will be significantly lower than what legacy carriers charge. I also think that connection is over stated here, since anyone from San Diego can do the 3 hour drive to LAX and fly the vast wealth of non-stop options there. It would be quicker than any connection over JFK.

Originally Posted by DA201
I think JFK-SEA will work. It definitely has the premium demand on both ends, DL should be able to split the market with B6 (whenever they start Mint on that route). It looks like 2 of 4 daily flights on this route will receive D1. From what I hear, 1-2 of the flights on this route are lie flat already so it seems to just be an amenity switch.

JFK-SAN has potential to work, but I worry B6 has already taken the premium passengers. SAN has no legacy carrier with a strong foothold, so passengers are more up for grab (compared to SEA where DL has a strong FF base) and B6 simply has a better product. On the NYC side, many fliers are already B6 customers as well because of their big JFK operation. Also, there is only going to be D1 once per day vs. 2x Mint from B6, so frequency could be an issue.

JFK-LAS is kind of risky. LAS is a very leisure/low cost market, and I only think B6 has a chance of making Mint work because it's priced so low. Does DL really want a fare war on this route for D1?

Also seems like BOS-LAX is getting D1. Like BOS-SFO D1, this seems like a move being done to stop the bleeding B6 is causing at BOS. DL didn't care when the leisure passengers switched, but they are mad the premium ones are going too. This route will probably do well because there should be enough demand to support B6 and DL. However, I think it will not stop passengers from switching allegiances.
I think you are quite right.

JFK-SEA seems to be one where Delta will continue to do well given its ff base and corporate contracts in most markets.

JFK-SAN is probably now the 3rd highest yielding mint route (even more than BOS-LAX/SFO). Based on how frequency has built over time on JFK-LAX/SFO, I think they will continue adding frequency here. Over time, this could get a lot harder for DL.

Problem with BOS for DL is that JetBlue has more corporate contracts now and have mint on all the major transcon markets (including SEA/SAN/LAS). DL with its 1 daily BOS-SFO is simply not competitive.

both BOS-LAX and JFK-LAS seem like very forced defensive moves that I think will not work out well.
Old Nov 20, 2017, 8:25 am

Originally Posted by tphuang
since anyone from San Diego can do the 3 hour drive to LAX and fly the vast wealth of non-stop options there. It would be quicker than any connection over JFK..
On this point I think you are wrong. This drive sucks, often having some of the worst traffic in the country. And then you have to park your car and pay for it, and then take a shuttle to LAX from whoever you park it, adding another 20-40 minutes depending on the shuttle wait and traffic getting into LAX which can be horrific. I think most travelers would much rather take an uber to their local airport, relax in the lounge, and let the pilots do the driving, even if it means a connection.

Also, there are certain to be layovers at JFK that are in the 60-90 minute range.

Delta does, however, have a flight from SAN-LAX which can help with this.
Old Nov 20, 2017, 9:27 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by jdrtravel
It's not just about sleeping. The seats are significantly more comfortable for working or relaxing. They have a lot more privacy. Even if you are not sleeping, you can stretch out, put your feet up, be comfortable.

Also, some people might want to sleep in the middle of the day. They could have just gotten off a TATL flight and be exhausted, or had a really busy few days and pulled all nighters leading up to the flight. Or not feel well, or just want to take a nap. Surprising I know, but it turns out, hockeyinsider, that not everyone is just like you.
The 757 with a configuration of 2x2 in business-class is hardly more private than a regular domestic first-class seat. Yes, there's no more room but I think this lie-flat craze on domestic flights is a little ridiculous.
Old Nov 20, 2017, 9:42 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by tphuang
I think SAN could work too considering considering it's only 1 daily flight that's already lie flat.

For 2), B6 will most likely start flying to Europe in second half of 2019. And their fares will be significantly lower than what legacy carriers charge. I also think that connection is over stated here, since anyone from San Diego can do the 3 hour drive to LAX and fly the vast wealth of non-stop options there. It would be quicker than any connection over JFK.

I think you are quite right.

JFK-SEA seems to be one where Delta will continue to do well given its ff base and corporate contracts in most markets.

JFK-SAN is probably now the 3rd highest yielding mint route (even more than BOS-LAX/SFO). Based on how frequency has built over time on JFK-LAX/SFO, I think they will continue adding frequency here. Over time, this could get a lot harder for DL.

Problem with BOS for DL is that JetBlue has more corporate contracts now and have mint on all the major transcon markets (including SEA/SAN/LAS). DL with its 1 daily BOS-SFO is simply not competitive.

both BOS-LAX and JFK-LAS seem like very forced defensive moves that I think will not work out well.
I flew the MINT SAN-JFK and I was really surprised there was not a Delta option. MINT was a great deal in terms of hard product especially if you get the stand alone seat. For that trip I did the new DCA-LAX DeltaOne outbound (which are the 757 non single aisle version). I thought the DeltaOne soft product was better (food and wine) but the MINT stand alone was great as it had a great side ledge on it that was like having an office desk
Old Nov 20, 2017, 9:52 am
In memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DM life is over 2MM PM now & NW MillionAir Wyndham Rewards Plat -Hotels.com Silver -Accor Silver
Originally Posted by Miesque
(which are the 757 non single aisle version)
What is a "non-single aisle 757"?!?
Old Nov 20, 2017, 10:01 am

Programs: DL DM, AA EXP, various hotel
Originally Posted by davetravels
What is a "non-single aisle 757"?!?
Coach is in a 1-1-1 configuration.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.