Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Delta One Expands to JFK- SEA/SAN/LAS, ATL-HNL and MSP-HNL, No Medallion Upgrades

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 20, 2017, 12:55 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Zorak
Delta News Hub link:

Delta One service, amenities take flight in select long-haul domestic markets

key points:
  • new routes: Boston and Los Angeles; New York-JFK and San Diego, Seattle; New York-JFK and Las Vegas, starting May 1, 2018
  • not all flights on those routes will have D1 service (see linked news item for a table)
  • Delta One will also become the premium offering April 1, 2018, on the following routes with one scheduled daily flight each: Atlanta and Honolulu; Minneapolis and Honolulu
  • domestic D1 flights will be eligible for comp Medallion upgrades beginning April 1st, 2018
Print Wikipost

Delta One Expands to JFK- SEA/SAN/LAS, ATL-HNL and MSP-HNL, No Medallion Upgrades

Search this Thread

Old Nov 17, 2017, 11:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by LBJ
Look carefully at the actual flight-listing -- it says "First Class", not "Delta One". Only the heading at the top says "Delta One", and the reason is that some of the flight options on this route are actual D1 fares because they involve routes like JFK-SFO-SEA or JFK-LAX-SEA. If you scan down the flight listings, you will find a couple such options. Only if there are no possible D1 options will the heading say "First Class". The heading at the top itself is not sufficient to tell if a route is D1 or not. If you look at the actual fare code for the flight (not the fare class), it's an F0 fare, not J0. There are cheaper discount fares on this route on this date, for example, fare code BA03A0FQ for a discounted D fare. If this was a D1 route the second to last character would be a D, not an F.

https://pro.delta.com/content/agency...structure.html
Normally it shows 4 columns if there is both FC and D1 options. One for FC, and one for D1. In this case only D1 is being offered.
Old Nov 17, 2017, 11:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by flyerCO
Normally it shows 4 columns if there is both FC and D1 options. One for FC, and one for D1. In this case only D1 is being offered.
Look at the fare code and flight listing on the non-stops. They are clearly F, not D1 routes based on fare codes. The headings don't mean anything. They only list both on actual D1 routes (JFK-LAX/SFO, DCA-LAX, BOS-SFO). It's typical DL IT nonsensical behavior. Fare code is the ultimate decider here. Show me an example where the second to last letter is a 'D'.

Last edited by xliioper; Nov 17, 2017 at 11:34 pm
Old Nov 17, 2017, 11:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by LBJ
Look at the fare code and flight listing on the non-stops. They are clearly F, not D1 routes based on fare codes. The headings don't mean anything. They only list both on actual D1 routes (JFK-LAX/SFO, DCA-LAX, BOS-SFO). It's typical DL IT nonsensical behavior. Fare code is the ultimate decider here --

It's a J fare class. Plus in past JFK-SEA didn't show as D1. JFK-SEA showed as FC and JFK-LAX/SFO-SEA showed as D1.
Old Nov 17, 2017, 11:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

It's a J fare class. Plus in past JFK-SEA didn't show as D1. JFK-SEA showed as FC and JFK-LAX/SFO-SEA showed as D1.
All the JFK transcon routes are "J" class as a historical artifact of when they granted lounge access. JFK-SFO/LAX/SAN/DEN/LAS/PDX/PHX/SEA. It's not about the fare class, it's the fare code. Second to last letter MUST be a D to be a D1 route (or a J0 fare code). JFK-SEA on May 24th flight number 2853 on 75S with lie flat seats, fare class D, fare code BA03A0FQ = First Class flight. Are people not seeing the "First Class (D)" text above?

Last edited by xliioper; Nov 18, 2017 at 4:09 am
Old Nov 18, 2017, 12:00 am

Programs: DL DM 2MM - IHG Diamond
Originally Posted by SJC ORD LDR
This makes no sense. LAX and SFO are business destinations and both cities have money. SEA failed. LAS is a leisure destination, and SAN doesn't have the demographics that LAX and SFO do in order for this to succeed IMO. Heck, I think SEA makes more sense than SAN and SEA already failed. What are they thinking?

I'm not saying this because I won't get upgrades and I will never fly any of the affected routes. I just think this is terrible from a business point of view.
As we have all leaned through the years, DL throws a bunch of s**t up against the wall and then sees what sticks.
Old Nov 18, 2017, 1:20 am

Programs: Former DL DM and UA 1k, now a J class free agent (UA Gold, AS MVP Gold)
Originally Posted by hockeyinsider
Regardless, how many companies will let their employees outright buy business-class/first-class for 5-5 1/2 hours of domestic flying?
One thing to consider is connecting passengers. Companies who have travel policies that may not allow for business class on 5 hour flights might allow it for longer itineraries, such as SEA-JFK-Europe. My employer (one of the largest in the SEA area) has such policies. I flew SEA-JFK-CDG last week on DL on a paid business class ticket, but would not have been allowed to purchase SEA-JFK stand alone in First/Business.

(Yes I'm aware I could have flown SEA-CDG nonstop, or SEA-AMS-CDG. But those flights only had full J available, so they were several thousand more expensive. Even if you are authorized to fly business class, one needs to be fiscally responsible and sometimes take a different routing if the cost savings are significant).
Old Nov 18, 2017, 4:13 am

Originally Posted by 3Cforme
How many domestic AA routes get lie-flats where EXPs get free upgrades?
All of them

AA only upgrades to their business cabin, which is equal to Domestic FC except with lay flat. No upgraded meals/service, 2/2 seating, etc. AAs more or less equal to D1 (Transcon First) doesn't get upgrades for free to the cabin.
that's not true. Definitely upgraded meals and service. A321T layout is frankly much better than 75S since there are only 102 seats vs 168 seats. Let's not make any excuses here for lack of upgrades on Delta.
I think some of these new D1 are dumb. SEA already flopped, due to same mistake they're repeating, price. SEA will happily pay for FC, but $2200 for D1 is more than they're willing. Only market ex-SEA I could see this working is MIA.

LAS is not a premium heavy market. Of any of these, SAN is the only that makes sense.

B6s MINT works due to their pricing. Till DL learns that these new D1 routes are IMO destin to fail.
agreed, I don't see how Delta could compete trying to price match mint.

They already have the least profitable NYC operation amongst the big players, this will make it even more unprofitable.

If they are actually doing this, it's to keep corporate contracts.

Originally Posted by bennos
I agree. DL couldn't make JFK-SEA stick when they were the only "premium lie flat" carrier on the route, it's hard to believe it would work with both DL and B6. DL could be intentionally trying to chase B6 off the routes by trashing premium yields.
Eh, B6's pricing isn't what it once was. I usually find B6 more expensive on the CA TCON routes.
The problem is that when pricing is low, mint still makes money. It's simply printing money on JFK-LAX/SFO. JFK-SAN is making a lot of money these days.

They even make FLL-SFO/LAX despite charging sub $500 in many cases and are actually yielding higher than pre-mint.

How low would DL have to price D1 to make it unprofitable for mint?
Old Nov 18, 2017, 5:08 am

Programs: Newly minted free agent; MR LT(!)TE, HH SE, BA SECM, DL MM, UA PS, 2V Fanboi, CBP GE
Originally Posted by kjnangre
SEA is a substantially larger operation than it was, and it's only going to keep growing. Building a new hub takes time. It's got a flagship Skyclub now, and once the IAF opens, I expect we'll see several new Asia routes. As the 330neos arrive, I think we'll see some upgauging from 767s too.
None of these factors will drive premium TCON traffic. We had this discussion last time... TPAC routing via SEA from JFK is simply not competitive for anyone who values time (ie: the primary market for premium seats, ie: not a small number of mileage runners or airline loyalists). From JFK, you can currently fly n/s to PEK, NRT, HND, ICN, HKG, TPE, PVG, CAN, FOC, and sort of SIN (via FRA, but n/s resuming next year). Once there, if your destination is a smaller city, you only have 1 connection instead of 2 via SEA.

As a hub from the East Coast, SEA is only attractive to regional cities that one can't otherwise reach non stop. Places like EUG, PSC, and MFR. Maybe BZN, BOI, etc (which could probably be reached more directly via another hub). I don't think any of these will drive sufficient premium traffic.

Who knows, maybe JFK-SEA will work this time with more competition and more capacity...
Old Nov 18, 2017, 6:03 am

Programs: DL PM, Bonvoy Gold
For those who are saying that SEA already "failed" because DL did not make enough money on the route, I'm curious where your information is from?

My memory is that there were major operations issues on this route, that DL could not seem to get the right equipment there and it was constantly being swapped for domestic F (like, almost every day). It could be that there has very much been a market for D1 on SEA-JFK but that DL needed to do whatever they needed to do to manage the operation successfully.

And even if it were also a profit issue, you have to take into account the vast amount of times that paid J pax showed up to find a domestic F seat, which must have taken a toll of profitability (by damaging customer perception), so perhaps DL knew that they needed to take a step back and allow time for a fresh start with customers.

The other question is: Will we start to see A350's and refurbished 777's on any of these routes? Maybe medallions would get complimentary upgrades to PE.
Old Nov 18, 2017, 6:33 am
In memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DM life is over 2MM PM now & NW MillionAir Wyndham Rewards Plat -Hotels.com Silver -Accor Silver
Originally Posted by jdrtravel
. . . . . paid J pax showed up to find a domestic F seat, which must have taken a toll of profitability (by damaging customer perception)
Sorry to to throw this WAY off topic, but, the term "Customer Perception" really irks me, because they don't really seem to care much about it with regard to Medallions who end up sitting in Coach, and watching First Class seats either, go out empty, or filled with non-revs.
Old Nov 18, 2017, 6:42 am

Programs: DL PM, Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by davetravels
Sorry to to throw this WAY off topic, but, the term "Customer Perception" really irks me, because they don't really seem to care much about it with regard to Medallions who end up sitting in Coach, and watching First Class seats either, go out empty, or filled with non-revs.
True. My point, however, is that they had an issue with customer perception when trying to sell this product because it was just not available. Also, at the time, I think that medallions still got free upgrades on this D1 route. My point was not about DL's concern about customer perception in general, but rather how it relates to specific goals of theirs, in this case, selling D1 seats. DL has clearly determined that it will make more money by not allowing medallion upgrades than it will loose because of irritated customers. On our last two transcon flights we applied RCU's and missed the upgrade both ways, so something is working for them.
Old Nov 18, 2017, 7:00 am
In memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DM life is over 2MM PM now & NW MillionAir Wyndham Rewards Plat -Hotels.com Silver -Accor Silver
True. My point, however, is that they had an issue with customer perception when trying to sell this product because it was just not available. Also, at the time, I think that medallions still got free upgrades on this D1 route. My point was not about DL's concern about customer perception in general, but rather how it relates to specific goals of theirs, in this case, selling D1 seats. DL has clearly determined that it will make more money by not allowing medallion upgrades than it will loose because of irritated customers. On our last two transcon flights we applied RCU's and missed the upgrade both ways, so something is working for them.
I completely understand the point you're trying to make, and, my point really has nothing to do with the current topic. It was just something I felt the need to put out there at the moment, in that, sometimes, they don't seem to care much about customer perception.
Old Nov 18, 2017, 7:04 am

Programs: Former DL DM and UA 1k, now a J class free agent (UA Gold, AS MVP Gold)
The other question is: Will we start to see A350's and refurbished 777's on any of these routes? Maybe medallions would get complimentary upgrades to PE.
Probably not for quite some time - maybe a couple years down the road. Before that happens, they'd need to start flying a fair number intercontinental routes from these cities - then you'd maybe start to see some transcon domestic runs show up as part of the rotation. But for now, all the flights are ex-DTW, with a later ex-ATL flight planned.

If you started seeing intercontinental flights using A350 and refurbished 777s from LAX,SEA, and JFK, then you might see some domestic flights with them. But that's likely a long ways off.
Old Nov 18, 2017, 7:27 am

We can complain about DL all we want but I’m sure this will poke the AA and UA bears too. If these go well I’m sure both will respond with similar service (and lack of upgrades) on similar routes. I had heard AA was definitely considering 321T service to SAN as well.

The reality is those folks who say loyalty is stupid are looking smarter by the day. Just wait till the next economic downturn, I predict a lot of these devaluation attempts to elites will be scaled back somewhat
Old Nov 18, 2017, 7:50 am

Programs: DL DM 2MM, MR LTT, Hilton D, Hertz PC. National Emerald Exec, UA Silver(thanks to Marriott)
Originally Posted by jk88usa
We can complain about DL all we want but I’m sure this will poke the AA and UA bears too. If these go well I’m sure both will respond with similar service (and lack of upgrades) on similar routes. I had heard AA was definitely considering 321T service to SAN as well.

The reality is those folks who say loyalty is stupid are looking smarter by the day. Just wait till the next economic downturn, I predict a lot of these devaluation attempts to elites will be scaled back somewhat
there is nothing I despise more on FT than folks who look forward to economic downturns to improve their FF benefits

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.