Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Delta One Expands to JFK- SEA/SAN/LAS, ATL-HNL and MSP-HNL, No Medallion Upgrades

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 20, 2017, 12:55 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Zorak
Delta News Hub link:

Delta One service, amenities take flight in select long-haul domestic markets

key points:
  • new routes: Boston and Los Angeles; New York-JFK and San Diego, Seattle; New York-JFK and Las Vegas, starting May 1, 2018
  • not all flights on those routes will have D1 service (see linked news item for a table)
  • Delta One will also become the premium offering April 1, 2018, on the following routes with one scheduled daily flight each: Atlanta and Honolulu; Minneapolis and Honolulu
  • domestic D1 flights will be eligible for comp Medallion upgrades beginning April 1st, 2018
Print Wikipost

Delta One Expands to JFK- SEA/SAN/LAS, ATL-HNL and MSP-HNL, No Medallion Upgrades

Search this Thread

Old Nov 17, 2017, 4:38 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta SkySponge ExtraAbsorbent, SPG Gold
Are you kidding me? This is the dumbest thing to come out of Delta in a while.
Old Nov 17, 2017, 4:41 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta Diamond, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, United Silver
Originally Posted by Youngmiler

It is saying D1 and showing a flatbed on searches I did, but it wasn't all flights that had flat beds.
Paying $2619 to fly between JFK and SEA is insane.
RaflW likes this.
Old Nov 17, 2017, 4:49 pm

Programs: DL DM, SPG Plat 100/LT Gold, Marriott Plat, National Executive Elite
Originally Posted by readywhenyouare
Are you kidding me? This is the dumbest thing to come out of Delta in a while.
Agreed. And another awful devaluation for Medallions. Totally shameful on Delta, that AA provides EXPs with comp upgrades JFK-LAX yet DMs now have 7 routes (possibly 8 if BOS-LAX is added even 1x/day) where complimentary upgrades have now been removed.
Old Nov 17, 2017, 5:28 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, Marriott LT Plat, HH Diamond, Avis Preferred Plus, National Executive
Originally Posted by btonkid12345
Agreed. And another awful devaluation for Medallions. Totally shameful on Delta, that AA provides EXPs with comp upgrades JFK-LAX yet DMs now have 7 routes (possibly 8 if BOS-LAX is added even 1x/day) where complimentary upgrades have now been removed.
if this is true that is a good way of looking at it.
Delta sure thinks they are a cream of the crop airline.
Old Nov 17, 2017, 6:30 pm

Programs: DL PM MM, Marriott Titanium
This makes no sense. LAX and SFO are business destinations and both cities have money. SEA failed. LAS is a leisure destination, and SAN doesn't have the demographics that LAX and SFO do in order for this to succeed IMO. Heck, I think SEA makes more sense than SAN and SEA already failed. What are they thinking?

I'm not saying this because I won't get upgrades and I will never fly any of the affected routes. I just think this is terrible from a business point of view.
Old Nov 17, 2017, 6:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
How many domestic AA routes get lie-flats where EXPs get free upgrades?
Old Nov 17, 2017, 6:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
AA only upgrades to their business cabin, which is equal to Domestic FC except with lay flat. No upgraded meals/service, 2/2 seating, etc. AAs more or less equal to D1 (Transcon First) doesn't get upgrades for free to the cabin.

I think some of these new D1 are dumb. SEA already flopped, due to same mistake they're repeating, price. SEA will happily pay for FC, but $2200 for D1 is more than they're willing. Only market ex-SEA I could see this working is MIA.

LAS is not a premium heavy market. Of any of these, SAN is the only that makes sense.

B6s MINT works due to their pricing. Till DL learns that these new D1 routes are IMO destin to fail.
Old Nov 17, 2017, 7:02 pm

Friday, Memorial Weekend, SAN-JFK:

Delta: $968 757 lie flats
JetBlue: $1099 320 lie flats

Friday, Memorial Weekend JFK-SAN:
Delta: $769 757 lie flats
JetBlue: $1099 320 lie flats, if you leave 8 hours later, it's $500 cheaper.
Old Nov 17, 2017, 7:13 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta Diamond, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, United Silver
Originally Posted by caburrito
Friday, Memorial Weekend, SAN-JFK:

Delta: $968 757 lie flats
JetBlue: $1099 320 lie flats

Friday, Memorial Weekend JFK-SAN:
Delta: $769 757 lie flats
JetBlue: $1099 320 lie flats, if you leave 8 hours later, it's $500 cheaper.
The JetBlue product is marginally better, especially because it has some single seats. Plus, Delta's miles are so devalued anymore that there's no point in paying the premium to collect Sky Miles, which have about as much value as the Venezuelan currency these days. Regardless, how many companies will let their employees outright buy business-class/first-class for 5-5 1/2 hours of domestic flying?
Old Nov 17, 2017, 7:24 pm

Programs: Newly minted free agent; MR LT(!)TE, HH SE, BA SECM, DL MM, UA PS, 2V Fanboi, CBP GE
Originally Posted by SJC ORD LDR
This makes no sense. LAX and SFO are business destinations and both cities have money. SEA failed. LAS is a leisure destination, and SAN doesn't have the demographics that LAX and SFO do in order for this to succeed IMO. Heck, I think SEA makes more sense than SAN and SEA already failed. What are they thinking?

I'm not saying this because I won't get upgrades and I will never fly any of the affected routes. I just think this is terrible from a business point of view.
I agree. DL couldn't make JFK-SEA stick when they were the only "premium lie flat" carrier on the route, it's hard to believe it would work with both DL and B6. DL could be intentionally trying to chase B6 off the routes by trashing premium yields.

Originally Posted by flyerCO
B6s MINT works due to their pricing. Till DL learns that these new D1 routes are IMO destin to fail.
Eh, B6's pricing isn't what it once was. I usually find B6 more expensive on the CA TCON routes.
Old Nov 17, 2017, 7:39 pm
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
Originally Posted by BostonPlanesAndTrains
Where are they getting the 757s from?
Originally Posted by LBJ
Yes, I think they are pulling some 763ER's off of international routes.
There was also this, which you posted in the 763ER thread

Originally Posted by BostonPlanesAndTrains
Looks like 36J was too much, they are re-modding at least 5-8 birds into 26J birds starting this winter and should be done by Summer Flying.
Old Nov 17, 2017, 7:42 pm

Programs: DL PM, Marriott Gold
All you guys saying that DL already tried JFK-SEA and it failed, you sure do give up easily!

SEA is a substantially larger operation than it was, and it's only going to keep growing. Building a new hub takes time. It's got a flagship Skyclub now, and once the IAF opens, I expect we'll see several new Asia routes. As the 330neos arrive, I think we'll see some upgauging from 767s too.
Old Nov 17, 2017, 8:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Youngmiler

It is saying D1 and showing a flatbed on searches I did, but it wasn't all flights that had flat beds.
Look carefully at the actual flight-listing -- it says "First Class", not "Delta One". Only the heading at the top says "Delta One", and the reason is that some of the flight options on this route are actual D1 fares because they involve routes like JFK-SFO-SEA or JFK-LAX-SEA. If you scan down the flight listings, you will find a couple such options. Only if there are no possible D1 options will the heading say "First Class". The heading at the top itself is not sufficient to tell if a route is D1 or not. If you look at the actual fare code for the flight (not the fare class), it's an F0 fare, not J0. There are cheaper discount fares on this route on this date, for example, fare code BA03A0FQ for a discounted D fare. If this was a D1 route the second to last character would be a D, not an F.

https://pro.delta.com/content/agency...structure.html

Last edited by xliioper; Nov 17, 2017 at 8:43 pm
Old Nov 17, 2017, 8:32 pm

Programs: UAL, AA, AS, CX
Originally Posted by kjnangre
All you guys saying that DL already tried JFK-SEA and it failed, you sure do give up easily!

SEA is a substantially larger operation than it was, and it's only going to keep growing. Building a new hub takes time. It's got a flagship Skyclub now, and once the IAF opens, I expect we'll see several new Asia routes. As the 330neos arrive, I think we'll see some upgauging from 767s too.
thats correct. The market must have a strong substantial premium yield otherwise I doubt Jetblue would bring Mint to this route. So times have certainly changed since Delta tried this before.

Having flown both products I like Deltas seats better than Jetblue but I do like Jetblues food better than DL or AA for transcon. But Jetblue wins for me if I can get a single seat, otherwise I’ll take Delta. I’ve also noticed ne current daily 757 on UAL with lie flats. I think its the BE Aerospace seat like other carriers with a redeye west to east and a late afternoon east to west. Never flown UA so cant compare.
Old Nov 17, 2017, 10:23 pm
In memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DM life is over 2MM PM now & NW MillionAir Wyndham Rewards Plat -Hotels.com Silver -Accor Silver
Dare I say . . . . . that . . . .

I'm sure potential non-revs are LUVVVVVVVIN' this news!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.