Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Fuel surcharge on DL metal now on US departures

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Fuel surcharge on DL metal now on US departures

Search this Thread

Old Jan 16, 2018, 11:45 am

Programs: DL PM. 1MM
I’m still seeing a $122 carrier imposed international surcharge on a RT US to Europe (Catania, IT). Award ticket in economy.

Funny thing I’ve been watching this flight for some time waiting to find an award at low level.
Well that finally happened over the weekend. Luckily delta did not charge the $122 fee at the time of booking. But they are now. So delta can shove it.

Also so what is the $36.60 United States - Transportation Tax.
That also wasn’t charged when I booked but is now.
Hehe. So I saved $158. Thx Delta
Old Jan 16, 2018, 12:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Plat, Nat'l Exec Elite, Avis Presidents Club
$36.60 is US International Departure Tax and US International Arrival Tax ($18.30 each). It's not normally charged on "free" tickets, but the carrier-imposed surcharge makes the ticket no longer free and thus the tax applies.
Old Jan 16, 2018, 12:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

AZ metal awards have YQ. AF/KL do not.
Old Jan 16, 2018, 2:03 pm

Programs: IHG Diamond, Delta PM, Hilton Gold, Accor Gold, Marriott Silver

Did a random award ticket search for USA-LHR on Delta metal, and here was the fee breakdown I got:

Air Transportation Charges

Base Fare$0.00

Taxes, Fees and Charges

• United States - September 11th Security Fee(Passenger Civil Aviation Security Service Fee) (AY)$11.20
  • United Kingdom - Passenger Service Charge (UB)$61.70
  • United Kingdom - Air Passenger Duty (APD) (GB)$103.00
  • United States - Custom User Fee (YC)$5.65
  • United States - Immigration and Naturalization Fee(Immigration User Fee) (XY)$7.00
  • United States - Animal and Plant Health Inspection Service Fee (APHIS User Fee - Passengers (XA)$3.96
Total Price (USD)$192.51
So doesn't seem like anything weird or additional if you're sticking to DL metal in this case.
Old Jan 24, 2018, 7:10 am

I searched for an AMS-ATL direct flight on Delta metal.... it appears there's a Carrier-imposed International Surcharge of €129.50. DL is now adding fuel surcharge on their own flight? Or am I missing something?

Air Transportation Charges

Base Fare€0.00
Carrier-imposed International Surcharge€129.50

Taxes, Fees and Charges

• Netherlands - Passenger Service Charge (RN)€12.37
  • Netherlands - Security Service Charge (CJ)€10.88
  • United States - Animal and Plant Health Inspection Service Fee (APHIS User Fee - Passengers (XA)€3.24
  • United States - Immigration and Naturalization Fee(Immigration User Fee) (XY)€5.72
  • United States - Custom User Fee (YC)€4.62
  • United States - Transportation Tax (US)€14.95
Total Price (EUR)€181.28
Old Jan 24, 2018, 7:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AA 1M
Flights originating in Europe have an international carrier surcharge. See above.
Old Jan 25, 2018, 8:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Nov 7: DFW-ATL-LHR on DL and then VS to DXB had $200 in scum charges.
Old May 10, 2018, 6:42 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Seeing DL even charging fuel surcharges of over $180 on one-way US-Europe SktMiles redemptions in economy class this month. What a scummy scam DL runs, no less so when that’s what DL wants on top of the 30k+ SkyMiles it charges, in a market where half of the roundtrip ticket price for a regular (non-mileage) ticket can be $180-250.

WOW and Norwegian must be loving this US3/EU3 game of gutting the value of the rebate currency that was at the heart of the frequent flyer program schemes of DL and the other airline industry cartel kingpins.
Old May 10, 2018, 7:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by GUWonder
Seeing DL even charging fuel surcharges of over $180 on one-way US-Europe SktMiles redemptions in economy class this month. What a scummy scam DL runs, no less so when that’s what DL wants on top of the 30k+ SkyMiles it charges, in a market where half of the roundtrip ticket price for a regular (non-mileage) ticket can be $180-250.

WOW and Norwegian must be loving this US3/EU3 game of gutting the value of the rebate currency that was at the heart of the frequent flyer program schemes of DL and the other airline industry cartel kingpins.
Last time this happened it was an error. Curious if that's the case here.
Old May 10, 2018, 7:21 am

I booked a skymiles economy ticket earlier this week. ATL- BRU. Total fees were $56. ($34 of that was the Belgium passenger fee)
Old May 10, 2018, 7:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Orange County Commuter
I booked a skymiles economy ticket earlier this week. ATL- BRU. Total fees were $56. ($34 of that was the Belgium passenger fee)
one-way or rt?
Old May 10, 2018, 7:29 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by flyerCO
Last time this happened it was an error. Curious if that's the case here.
At this point, I’d say this is way more of a DL design feature than it is a DL error.
Old May 10, 2018, 7:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Not seeing it on DL/AF/KL/VS metal. Perhaps poster could share with us the metal and route?

Old May 10, 2018, 7:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by GUWonder

At this point, I’d say this is way more of a DL design feature than it is a DL error.
I'm not seeing anything more then standard $5.60 fees. I see 186Euro in fees when looking for EU-US. Could you've searched backwards?
Old May 10, 2018, 7:53 am
Suspended

I
Originally Posted by flyerCO
I'm not seeing anything more then standard $5.60 fees. I see 186Euro in fees when looking for EU-US. Could you've searched backwards?
I didn’t search backwards. Just saw DL do it again for a JFK-SVO-EU route. Not DL metal, and that makes a difference but since when? Since DL wanted it.

It’s a DL design feature if using Aeroflot TATL on a DL SkyMiles ticket.

Last edited by GUWonder; May 10, 2018 at 8:00 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.