Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Fuel surcharge on DL metal now on US departures

Fuel surcharge on DL metal now on US departures

Old Nov 17, 17, 4:13 pm

Programs: DL PM/MM, Hilton, Marriot, and Melia Silver, SPG+, Hertz PC
What's "new flagship", btw ?

<oh I see it's the 350. Please erase>
Old Nov 17, 17, 4:43 pm

Another Delterror
Old Nov 17, 17, 5:46 pm

Programs: DL Plat and 1 MM, SPG LT Plat (RIP), Marriott LTPP, Fairmont Plat (RIP), DL Kryptonium Medallion
I had thought that the DOT prohibited US carriers from imposing fuel surcharges on award tickets for travel beginning in the US, which is why DL would charge them on, say, one-way tickets originating in Europe but not those originating in the US, and why BA charges them on all flights regardless of origin.
Old Nov 17, 17, 6:39 pm
Moderator, Delta & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by Spent_All_My_Miles View Post
I had thought that the DOT prohibited US carriers from imposing fuel surcharges on award tickets for travel beginning in the US, which is why DL would charge them on, say, one-way tickets originating in Europe but not those originating in the US, and why BA charges them on all flights regardless of origin.
If that's true, how can AA awards on BA metal have surcharges with a U.S. origin?
Old Nov 17, 17, 6:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; AS MVPG; Marriott Plat Premier; Hilton Diamond (Aspire); Hyatt Refugeeist
I had thought that the DOT prohibited US carriers from imposing fuel surcharges on award tickets for travel beginning in the US
DOT does not regulate frequent flyer programs.
Old Nov 17, 17, 6:56 pm
LBJ
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM
You are perhaps thinking of the DOT rule that all taxes and fees assessed on award tickets must be disclosed and that they cannot be called "free" tickets if they include any taxes or fees. All flights have some sort mandatory government taxes/fees (US domestic have $5.60 TSA tax each-way and international flights have various taxes depending on country), so the airlines do not advertise award tickets as "free". There's no regulation against carrier-imposed fees on award tickets ex-US -- they just have to be fully disclosed like all other taxes and fees.

Last edited by LBJ; Nov 17, 17 at 7:18 pm
Old Nov 18, 17, 6:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DM life is over 2MM PM now & NW MillionAir Wyndham Rewards Plat -Hotels.com Silver -Accor Silver
So far today - - so good!
Old Nov 18, 17, 9:32 am

Programs: Top Tier with all 3 alliances
When this eventually at some point happens, it will just be the next step in their greedy race to the bottom, leading the industry in fleecing their customers and setting the new low...Just sayin....

They were probably testing the system, and probing for reactions...They wanted to see how much more abuse you can take, before you leave....
Old Nov 18, 17, 9:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DM life is over 2MM PM now & NW MillionAir Wyndham Rewards Plat -Hotels.com Silver -Accor Silver
Originally Posted by nk15 View Post
When this eventually at some point happens, it will just be the next step in their greedy race to the bottom, leading the industry in fleecing their customers and setting the new low...Just sayin....

They were probably testing the system, and probing for reactions...They wanted to see how much more abuse you can take, before you leave....
I wonder how many people bought tix and paid the fees not knowing that it would be "fixed"?!?
Old Nov 18, 17, 9:50 am

Originally Posted by davetravels View Post
I wonder how many people bought tix and paid the fees not knowing that it would be "fixed"?!?
And are they gonna refund the extra fees or keep them...It won't be beneath them to keep them...
Old Nov 18, 17, 10:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

And are they gonna refund the extra fees or keep them...It won't be beneath them to keep them...
I feel certain that the SkyMiles department immediately created crack a team of experts to sort through all of the tickets booked with SkyMiles to check toe errors and refund any fees that were collected by misake!

Old Nov 18, 17, 10:14 am

Originally Posted by davetravels View Post
I feel certain that the SkyMiles department immediately created crack a team of experts to sort through all of the tickets booked with SkyMiles to check toe errors and refund any fees that were collected by misake!

I won't be surprised if the customer has to request or "opt in" to get their refunds...That would be a true DL innovation....
Old Nov 18, 17, 10:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I won't be surprised if the customer has to request or "opt in" to get their refunds...That would be a true DL innovation....
Or, more likely . . . . If someone discovers it, they'll charge them the $150 fee to cancel and rebook! (Non Plat & Diamond, of course)
Old Nov 18, 17, 2:29 pm

Programs: DL GM (was DL DM for 3yrs), HHonors Gold, Marriott Gold
I thought the fees had been looking a little high, although most of the destinations I checked required an inter-Europe connection. (AZ seems to charge sizable fees for that.)
Old Dec 5, 17, 7:30 am

Originally Posted by SkyMilesTeam View Post
Hi everyone, wanted let you know that the surcharge that you saw for certain Europe Award Tickets earlier today was an error. Not to worry, as we took notice and the issue has been resolved. Happy Friday!
Not resolved for me as of this morning -- I am seeing $292 SLC-LHR. Or is the bug back?

Search this Thread