Wiki Posts
Search

Viking Air and Delta Global Upgrades

Search this Thread

Old Nov 16, 2017, 3:55 pm
Original Poster

Viking Air and Delta Global Upgrades

Dear Delta and Viking Cruise Experts,

I can save $300 a ticket by booking via Viking Air for our International Tickets (exact same flights) for our Viking Cruise. There is confirmed space to Delta One on both outbound and return using Global upgrade certificates. Do you know if the Global certificates will work on the ticket booked via Viking? They wouldn't tell me the fair class over the phone. But even if it is an upgradable class (like U), I'm wondering if there is some coding in these consolidator fares that make it not upgradable.

Saving $300 just to find out my flights (that have space) are not upgradable wouldn't be worth it. Thank you in advance for your continued help. Sincerely, Richard O
Old Nov 16, 2017, 4:41 pm

Programs: DL GM 1MM, MR LT Titanium
You should have 24 hours to cancel after you book the ticket through Viking Air. So I'd book through them, call DL to apply the GUCs, and if they say they can't, cancel the ticket.
Old Nov 16, 2017, 6:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Plat, Nat'l Exec Elite, Avis Presidents Club
Never tried, but the GUC terms do say this (emphasis mine):

Valid only with a published qualifying fare.
and
Certificate may be used to upgrade on Delta Air Lines or certain Delta Connection operated flights on published fares booked in P, A, G, W, Y, B, M, H, Q, K, L, U, T, X or V class and upgrade into RP/OP class.
Data points are scant, but this old thread does not look promising either: Using Global Certs on consolidator fare

So if you do decide to try it, make sure to understand the cancellation policies if Delta denies your request.
Old Nov 17, 2017, 9:25 am

Programs: DL DM
Viking books in at least two different fare classes on Delta International itineraries. V & T. However, they are NOT published fares, so I think you will find that GUC's are
not accepted for upgrades on these unpublished fares.
Old Nov 17, 2017, 2:13 pm

Programs: UA- 1K, DL-DM, AA-G, BON-T
So I buy tickets sometimes from consolidators. If the ticket has a normal fare class like V, X etc there is a 50% chance you can upgrade. I usually have to Hang up and call again. But an agent will usually do it when I press saying the fare class is a V and your list says V - I don't know what unpublished even means (blah blah). Good luck.
Old Nov 17, 2017, 2:35 pm

Class of service does not necessarily mean you will receive full credit or be able to upgrade. A published fare means that it is available for purchase by anyone. Cruise lines, tour companies and consolidators "generally" obtain unpublished air fares. Viking Lines uses mostly unpublished fares that are greatly discounted.
Old Nov 17, 2017, 2:45 pm

Programs: DL Diamond 4 MM, Marriott Titanium
Not sure this is relevant, but as a Plat, I was able to upgrade to Delta Comfort on tickets booked through Viking.
Old Nov 17, 2017, 7:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by IndyDave
Not sure this is relevant, but as a Plat, I was able to upgrade to Delta Comfort on tickets booked through Viking.
Not an issue. No ticket is reissued for Medallion upgrades. The reservation is simply upgraded tp give you a seat in C+/F.

A GUC/mileage award actually causes a ticket to be reissued.
Old Jul 5, 2021, 1:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AAConciergeKey/1MM, DL DM/2 MM, UA Gold,Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by happydad100
Dear Delta and Viking Cruise Experts,

I can save $300 a ticket by booking via Viking Air for our International Tickets (exact same flights) for our Viking Cruise. There is confirmed space to Delta One on both outbound and return using Global upgrade certificates. Do you know if the Global certificates will work on the ticket booked via Viking? They wouldn't tell me the fair class over the phone. But even if it is an upgradable class (like U), I'm wondering if there is some coding in these consolidator fares that make it not upgradable.

Saving $300 just to find out my flights (that have space) are not upgradable wouldn't be worth it. Thank you in advance for your continued help. Sincerely, Richard O
Would love to know what happened here. I have booked a Viking cruise fare and was able to apply a GUC in one instance; but in another, I was not. I would be inclined to see if Viking could hold the reservation so that I could call in and ask DL if it were eligible for upgraded first. But, trying to get DL to answer within 24 hours and Viking to handle the request within a short window could be tough! anyone else try using a GUC in recent years on cruise air tickets?
Old Jul 5, 2021, 2:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by SkyTeam777
Would love to know what happened here. I have booked a Viking cruise fare and was able to apply a GUC in one instance; but in another, I was not. I would be inclined to see if Viking could hold the reservation so that I could call in and ask DL if it were eligible for upgraded first. But, trying to get DL to answer within 24 hours and Viking to handle the request within a short window could be tough! anyone else try using a GUC in recent years on cruise air tickets?
The real issue comes down to published fare vs BULK ticket. You can upgrade a published fare, but BULK tickets (except for DLV) don't qualify.
Old Jul 5, 2021, 3:17 pm

If the fare through Viking is less than buying from Delta directly it is likely a bulk ticket and not upgradeable with GUC. Delta will not be able to give you any information, until Viking issues their ticket, as they won’t be able to see the fare basis code until ticketed. Generally, Viking does not issue tickets until about 60 days prior to departure. To get them to issue earlier, the booking must be paid in full, which may be much earlier than the normal final payment time limit. Even then, Viking may delay ticketing up to a week after final payment in made.
EarlVolFan and SkyTeam777 like this.
Old Jul 6, 2021, 3:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AAConciergeKey/1MM, DL DM/2 MM, UA Gold,Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
It's on hold in W and G classes (Premium Select) booked through Viking. I have to approve it, but wouldn't those be eligible for an upgrade since it's a published fare class? or are there non-published fares that still show up in the familiar fare classes we traditionally use? I guess I am asking is if bulk fares or cruise fares have their own fare bucket that we don't usually see? or could a normal Y,B,M,H,J,K etc fare still be unpublished/bulk?
Old Jul 6, 2021, 4:33 pm

It's on hold in W and G classes (Premium Select) booked through Viking. I have to approve it, but wouldn't those be eligible for an upgrade since it's a published fare class? or are there non-published fares that still show up in the familiar fare classes we traditionally use? I guess I am asking is if bulk fares or cruise fares have their own fare bucket that we don't usually see? or could a normal Y,B,M,H,J,K etc fare still be unpublished/bulk?
It varies, but as far as I know, yes they usually show up in normal fare classes. Again, you won’t be able to assess the situation until Viking issues the tickets and you call Delta. Keep in mind that even on an unpublished fare, if you get economy through the cruise line, you are still entitled to the Compilimantary Comfort Plus upgrade, so you don’t need to pay for it. (Again, assuming the upgrade space is available). (Does not apply to Premium Select).

Last edited by Mr. Tickets; Jul 7, 2021 at 6:39 am
Old Jul 6, 2021, 11:47 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
AFAIK the "published" rule applies to the fare (identified by roughly 8 digit alphanumeric code (possibly with some identifier added at the end which IIRC might be /BULK0 not the single letter fare class.

For your proposed booking, note that W is C+ while G is deep discount PS.
Old Jul 7, 2021, 2:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

All tickets including BULL book using the same fare classes. What matters is that you have a published fare. Ie that you are paying what DL publishes as a fare. A BULK ticket simply means theres no published fare. You pay whatever company X says you pay. DL has no clue what you pay and could care less. They sold the tickets in BULK to the company at a set rate for type of ticket being booked. The company then sells it for whatever markup (or loss) they're willing to accept.
Mr. Tickets likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.