Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Delta SkyClub Access Changes starting Jan 1, 2019

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Delta SkyClub Access Changes starting Jan 1, 2019

Search this Thread

Old Jan 6, 2019, 8:36 pm

Programs: Bellevue Lifetime Premiere Mega Elite Supreme
Originally Posted by WWads
You could continue to do this, but it still would just be access. Right now, DL has destroyed any motivation for people to buy club memberships, especially at the prices they charge.
It has little to do with the prices and more to do with the fact that most SCs have become like Chuck E Cheese or the local Golden Corral.

I’d have no problem paying $1K for an annual pass to an Emirates class lounge.
jamesteroh and AANYC1981 like this.
Old Jan 7, 2019, 8:43 am

Programs: DL PM, HH Diamond, Marriott Plat, AA, WP
Originally Posted by TheHorta

It has little to do with the prices and more to do with the fact that most SCs have become like Chuck E Cheese or the local Golden Corral.
But Sky Clubs have their moments, and can give great service upon occasion. Golden Corral <shudder> -- not so much. On the other hand, Chuck E Cheese has that heightened security with the wristbands and hand stamps and all...feels safer than TSA, but only barely.
TheHorta likes this.
Old Jan 7, 2019, 9:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Deltaworst Peon Level, TSA "Layer 21 Club", NW WP RIP
Originally Posted by daloosh
On the other hand, Chuck E Cheese has that heightened security with the wristbands and hand stamps and all...feels safer than TSA, but only barely.
If TSA adopts wristbands and hand stamps next week, we are going to blame YOU for giving them the idea.
daloosh likes this.
Old Jan 7, 2019, 9:46 am

I am guessing I see the club around 100 times per year. Depending on the airport, the space can be AOK or downright unpleasant. There are peek times when I have walked in and walked out and chalk it up to simply that, rush hour. I don’t expect the the space to be “exclusive” in the sense that I feel “special”. I do expect that I can find a place to sit, plugin and grab food or drink without an elongated wait in line. I stay away from ATL in general at almost all cost so excluding those spaces, most of the other spaces meet my expectations. Excluded are the spaces spaces awaiting refurb. I appreciate the self service spaces the most and make a point to skip the spaces with bartenders.
Old Jan 7, 2019, 9:54 am

Programs: DL PM, HH Diamond, Marriott Plat, AA, WP
Originally Posted by Flaflyer
If TSA adopts wristbands and hand stamps next week, we are going to blame YOU for giving them the idea.
And when they come with churros, gluten-free pizza, and a talking rat, you'll thank me!
dmarge18 and Psyduck1 like this.
Old Jan 7, 2019, 1:46 pm

Location: RDU, Delta GM/1MM, Hilton Diamond (for now), Bonvoy Titanium
A modest proposal:

DMs no longer get a SC membership as a choice benefit. Instead, they get can select "access" similar to a Reserve card.

Purchased SC memberships still get access when flying on other airlines. As things stand, there is zero motivation for someone to buy a membership vs getting a Reserve card.
100% I stopped buying and went to reserve because it was only $250 more than what I was paying for a plat DL amex already. No brainer
Old Jan 7, 2019, 1:48 pm

Location: RDU, Delta GM/1MM, Hilton Diamond (for now), Bonvoy Titanium

Smart move. There can't be that many of those memberships floating around. Seems like a pointless fight for DL to start.
I know 5 people with one and one of my biggest regrets was not buying a lifetime WC membership when I had the chance which would have ended up being lifetime SC executive.
Old Jan 9, 2019, 10:28 am

Programs: DL 1MM Annual Silver,AS 100K 22-24, AS 75K 15-21
Am a Lifetimer and Three Observations:

ACCESS: Went through Narita, San Francisco and Seattle Skyclub flying United on Jan 3, 2019

Narita Sky Club was unaware of the Lifetime exception and originally stopped my entry. They asked for a Delta boarding pass, and when I presented the agent with a United Boarding pass, they had informed me of the changes to the entry requirement. I was happy to show them the revised Lifetime access policy and they apologized graciously, and began immediately communicating this information to all of the employees. Very professional.

SFO Sky Club agent who checked me in did not ask for the Delta boarding pass, as she had thought I had misplaced my boarding pass. Later when I asked for a shower access, she discovered that I was not in the "system" and inquired for my Delta Boarding pass. I told her I was accessing using a "Lifetime membership". She informs me that it was difficult to quickly check for lifetime status as credential do not immediately flag, Lifetiime status. Going forward this might change but currently, agents will need to flip through several screen to identifying a member who is lifetime. The agent had to enter false delta flight number to completing my check-in.

SEA Sky Club:
One last access was with SEA Sky Club. These agents were aware of the lifetime policy change, but they too indicated they had to shuffle through screens to identifying lifetime credentials. The agent that checked me in, had to view the screen which indicated my expiration date. They also indicated that it might not be possible to view this on their handheld app check-in and I would likely need to check-in with the agent.

So access is possible, and agents are beginning to become aware of the policy change, but new hiccup exist due to system requirement and credential not showing lifetime, especially on the hand held check-in. For now, I think the expiration date is likely the best indicator.

Jiburi
pvn and soartoday like this.
Old Jan 9, 2019, 9:16 pm
In memoriam

Programs: DL 2MM, AA MM, DL Sky Club Life, AA Admirals Club Life, Hilton Gold Life
Originally Posted by jiburi

ACCESS: Went through Narita, San Francisco and Seattle Skyclub flying United on Jan 3, 2019

Narita Sky Club was unaware of the Lifetime exception and originally stopped my entry. They asked for a Delta boarding pass, and when I presented the agent with a United Boarding pass, they had informed me of the changes to the entry requirement. I was happy to show them the revised Lifetime access policy and they apologized graciously, and began immediately communicating this information to all of the employees. Very professional.

SFO Sky Club agent who checked me in did not ask for the Delta boarding pass, as she had thought I had misplaced my boarding pass. Later when I asked for a shower access, she discovered that I was not in the "system" and inquired for my Delta Boarding pass. I told her I was accessing using a "Lifetime membership". She informs me that it was difficult to quickly check for lifetime status as credential do not immediately flag, Lifetiime status. Going forward this might change but currently, agents will need to flip through several screen to identifying a member who is lifetime. The agent had to enter false delta flight number to completing my check-in.

SEA Sky Club:
One last access was with SEA Sky Club. These agents were aware of the lifetime policy change, but they too indicated they had to shuffle through screens to identifying lifetime credentials. The agent that checked me in, had to view the screen which indicated my expiration date. They also indicated that it might not be possible to view this on their handheld app check-in and I would likely need to check-in with the agent.

So access is possible, and agents are beginning to become aware of the policy change, but new hiccup exist due to system requirement and credential not showing lifetime, especially on the hand held check-in. For now, I think the expiration date is likely the best indicator.

Jiburi
What form of iD did u submit to enter a SC when flying on another Carrier?

All my SC cards imprint say lifetime and the bar code for scanning is on the back. I had figured that it would be good enough
Old Jan 10, 2019, 10:02 am

Programs: DL 1MM Annual Silver,AS 100K 22-24, AS 75K 15-21
Originally Posted by Lomapaseo
What form of iD did u submit to enter a SC when flying on another Carrier?

All my SC cards imprint say lifetime and the bar code for scanning is on the back. I had figured that it would be good enough
As my SkyClub card/credentials I use are digital off my Delta App, it doesn't indicate lifetime status except expiration date of 2079. My old card (NW WorldClub) does indicate LIFETIME on its card. My frequent flyer number has changed however with the switchover to Skypesos. (I can still recall my Worldperks number as if I used it yesterday)

Just keep in mind, Delta has variety of Lifetime members. Northwest Airlines offered it for its members, and so did Western Airlines. Both merged and folded into what is now Delta.

Jiburi
Old Jan 10, 2019, 3:03 pm

Programs: DL Silver (0.239 MM), DL SkyClub Life, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by jiburi

SEA Sky Club:

Jiburi
Same issue at ORD today. It seems that the handheld scanner does not show lifetime, which led to the agent initially rejecting me. She had to dig around on her computer to pull up the 2079 expiration to back up me saying I was a lifer. Hopefully DL just puts lifetime on the digital card or something to make this easier.
Old Jan 14, 2019, 11:25 am

My question is Amsterdam which is a KLM lounge which when I was last through it four months ago had Delta branding pretty conspicuous. Is it just a partner lounge we can longer get into or was its relationship a little different?
Old Jan 14, 2019, 11:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Dubai Stu
My question is Amsterdam which is a KLM lounge which when I was last through it four months ago had Delta branding pretty conspicuous. Is it just a partner lounge we can longer get into or was its relationship a little different?
It's just a partner lounge, so you will no longer have access with just a DL Sky Club membership. Skyteam Elite Plus (DL Gold or higher) will continue to get access with a same day international boarding pass on a Skyteam partner. The only Sky Club locations outside of the US are in NRT and SCL.
Old Jan 14, 2019, 11:47 am

Programs: Sky Miles Aadvantage United Mileage Plus Southwest Rapid Rewards
Very, very proud of my favorite airline. Group members should have received an email today announcing that the "day of flight" airline restrictions will not apply to lifetime members.
Thanks to all of you that wrote letters, filed AG complaints, shopped around our potential class action complaint and did other forms of protest.

Probably best to fly with that email for the next few months.
Old Jan 14, 2019, 11:50 am

Programs: Sky Miles Aadvantage United Mileage Plus Southwest Rapid Rewards
I will be keeping open the Facebook group for Delta Sky Club Lifetime Members. It will no longer be a protest group. Just a group for Lifetime members to exchange experience/tips in using our LIfetime memberships.

Feel free to join, if you haven't already.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/2307706519299436/

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.