Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Delta SkyClub Access Changes starting Jan 1, 2019

Delta SkyClub Access Changes starting Jan 1, 2019

Old Dec 6, 17, 10:23 am

For clarification, are skywest flights Delta-operated, or only Delta-marketed and ticketed?

I regularly fly a skywest route and use the lounge with an Amex platinum. It is on a plane with the Delta logo on it, but it is not operated by Delta.
Old Dec 6, 17, 11:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Formaldehyde Medallion DL DieMiles
Since I rarely fly any airline but DL, needing a DL ticket will not be a complicating factor for me.

What I will really miss is the access to partner lounges... both domestically an international.

Recently flew a number of times on Virgin Australia. Having access to their lounges was a great boon. I was even able to guest in my wife on my Sky Club membership... even better treatment than DL would have provided me.
Old Dec 6, 17, 11:59 am
LBJ
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM
Originally Posted by johndoe123 View Post
For clarification, are skywest flights Delta-operated, or only Delta-marketed and ticketed?

I regularly fly a skywest route and use the lounge with an Amex platinum. It is on a plane with the Delta logo on it, but it is not operated by Delta.
There are no changes for Amex Plat cardholders. You must be flying a DL operated flight (or DL-coded, WS operated) in order to get access just as you do today. Yes, DL regional partner operated flights are considered DL operated (as long as that partner is operating the flight for DL).
Old Dec 27, 17, 2:17 pm

Originally Posted by enviroian View Post
Meh this is nothing. United did this what, two years ago? It affected me exactly zero times. How many times are you flying domestically NOT flying Delta? If you are flying someone else is there even DL club at that airport?

NOthing to see here folks, move along please.
Many times unfortunately for me. I live in a Delta hub - MSP, but work for the government and have to fly whatever contract they get for the cheapest which is frustratingly not Delta - about 1-2 times a month I fly non-Delta flights and have enjoyed the Sky Club lounge to get breakfast and relax before a flight. This is a deal breaker for me to end my membership
Old Dec 27, 17, 10:48 pm

2019 Secret Santa

Programs: Giants Ballpark Pass. Lifetime Ambassador Club. WN A+/CP, AS MVP, UA Gold, Marriott Platinum.
Originally Posted by xiphoid76 View Post
This is a deal breaker for me to end my membership
Please let them know this if/when you cancel the subscription. Only if they understand that reducing the value prop decreases revenue will they be less unreasonable.
Old Dec 28, 17, 7:38 am
pvn
Suspended

Programs: Starbucks Green Card
Many times unfortunately for me. I live in a Delta hub - MSP, but work for the government and have to fly whatever contract they get for the cheapest which is frustratingly not Delta - about 1-2 times a month I fly non-Delta flights and have enjoyed the Sky Club lounge to get breakfast and relax before a flight. This is a deal breaker for me to end my membership
Get the Amex Platinum, you have access to the clubs when you're flying Delta and the Escape lounge when you're not.
MSPeconomist likes this.
Old Dec 28, 17, 8:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

2019 Secret Santa

Programs: Delta DM & MM, Hilton DM, Marriott gold
A good friend of mine is in the same situation at Nashville. He is stuck flying Southwest a lot and liked having Skyclub access at BNA.

Do you have an Am Ex Plat or Priority pass? If you have an Am Ex Plat you can use the Escape lounge at MSP (unfortunately they no longer take PP) or you can use PP for a credit at the PGA lounge at MSP.
Old Dec 28, 17, 8:49 am

Programs: DL PM, UA Silver, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Gold
I see Delta rolling this back when a ton of people drop their memberships. It would have made sense in a world when every DM automatically got a membership, but now with the number of DMs being reduced, and access becoming an optional benefit, it simply does not make sense.

I don't really understand this move. The SkyClubs are not overcrowded anymore, at least not as badly as they used to be.
Old Dec 28, 17, 3:22 pm

The frustrating thing is that the crowded Sky clubs are the Hub airports. If you are in a Hub you are most likely flying Delta, so this rule doesn't help. The uncrowded sky clubs are BNA, IND, ORD, MEM, etc and all these are very useful when you are flying another airline.

This rule will annoy Delta's business traveller passengers and IMO do little change of overcrowding at the hubs
jamesteroh likes this.
Old Dec 28, 17, 3:31 pm

Programs: Delta PM
Originally Posted by WWads View Post
I see Delta rolling this back when a ton of people drop their memberships. It would have made sense in a world when every DM automatically got a membership, but now with the number of DMs being reduced, and access becoming an optional benefit, it simply does not make sense.

I don't really understand this move. The SkyClubs are not overcrowded anymore, at least not as badly as they used to be.
What I don't get now is why anyone would now pay for a membership now since a membership is $495 for a Single membership and a DL Reserve AmEx can be had for $450. I guess the only reasons would be if you couldn't qualify for an AmEx for some reason or perhaps for an executive membership to have, albeit limited, guest privileges. The only other reasons I could see is the partner lounge access at certain airports that may not have a SkyClub but do have a partner lounge (such as IAH?) but Priority Pass could cover many of those and if you're traveling internationally, I have to imagine that if you travel enough that you're considering a SkyClub membership, you already travel enough to at least maintain GM and SkyTeam Elite Plus status.
Old Dec 28, 17, 7:06 pm

Programs: UA 1K/MM; AA EXP; DL SM/MM; AClub, PC Plat; HH, MR Gold
Originally Posted by SteveinA2 View Post
The frustrating thing is that the crowded Sky clubs are the Hub airports. If you are in a Hub you are most likely flying Delta, so this rule doesn't help. The uncrowded sky clubs are BNA, IND, ORD, MEM, etc and all these are very useful when you are flying another airline.
I generally agree, but the ORD lounge is often crowded, to the point of reaching full capacity and turning guests away and/or not allowing folks with day passes. So I don't think it's just a hub problem.
Old Jan 11, 18, 2:02 pm

Programs: DL - GM (Sky Priority);HH - Gold; Marriott - Silver; National - Executive; DL Reserve AMEX
Originally Posted by enviroian View Post
Nothing to see here folks, move along please.
Not true. Not being able to access the Skyteam partner clubs in Europe kinda sucks.
Old Jan 23, 18, 8:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Formaldehyde Medallion DL DieMiles
Originally Posted by gaugeguy View Post
I wonder what they will do for those of us who have lifetime memberships. We were grandfathered in as executive memberships.
I regret that you may learn that, at times, DL has a rather novel concept of what "lifetime" means.

Spoken by a Flying Colonel with lifetime club membership (not!).
Old Jan 23, 18, 11:35 pm

Programs: AS: 75K; DL/NW: Plat; DL SC: Lifetime; Hyatt: Diamond; HH: Gold; SPG: Plat;
I'm no attorney, but do Lifetime Members have any legal ground to stand on by suing Delta (ideally as a group) for reneging on the terms of the original membership purchased from NWA, which Delta purchased (including all assets and liabilities)?
Old Jan 23, 18, 11:44 pm
LBJ
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM
Originally Posted by bostonbali View Post
I'm no attorney, but do Lifetime Members have any legal ground to stand on by suing Delta (ideally as a group) for reneging on the terms of the original membership purchased from NWA, which Delta purchased (including all assets and liabilities)?
Go ahead and give it a go. I'm sure it will work out as well as the class action that UA "lifetime" million milers filed against them -- Chicago 'Million Miler' Says United Airlines 'Immorally' Took Away Benefits, Files Class Action - ABC News

Make sure you demand that they give you access even without a same-day BP like NW used to do (and maybe try to get them to re-open the old pre-security World Club at DCA too!). And don't forget to include the folks with lifetime Pan Am Clipper Club memberships --

http://forum.elliott.org/threads/pan...629/post-13071

Last edited by LBJ; Jan 24, 18 at 12:00 am

Search this Thread